Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
All Whole Wheat Challah

bceaya

Post Tue, Dec 13 2005, 4:48 pm
Hi, I have a great recipe for regular challah, but I am looking to switch to an all whole wheat recipe. I love sweet and chewy, I was wandering if anyone knows a good recipe?

middy

Post Tue, Dec 13 2005, 9:45 pm
I have agreat one called honey and whole wheat, but it actually has some white flour in it too. All w.w. would be very dense. r u interested?

shoy18

Post Tue, Dec 13 2005, 9:53 pm
thier is a recipe on the site do a search, I made it and it was delicious as whole wheat goes

willow

Post Wed, Dec 14 2005, 5:14 am
I got a great recipe from elisecohen I'll see if she'll let me post it.

bceaya

Post Wed, Dec 14 2005, 1:39 pm
Thank you middy, but I am really looking for an all whole wheat flour recipe. Once, I tried to just transfer my white flour recipe and use whole wheat flour (I used white whole wheat flour which is a lighter version of whole wheat) and it really didn't come out good, that's why I was looking for someone who really makes it and knows it's good. [/quote]

willow

Post Thu, Dec 15 2005, 10:02 am
Here is the whole wheat challah recipe from elisecohen, she got it from Laurel's Kitchen Bread Book.

Dissolve 2 tsp active dry yeast in 1/2 C warm water. In a big bowl, mix about 6 C whole wheat flour and 1 T salt. Add the yeast and water, plus 4 eggs, 1 3/4 C warm water, 1/4 C oil, 3 T honey. Mix, then knead in about 2 more cups of the flour. You can add vital wheat gluten to make the dough even lighter and fluffier, but this is optional. Knead for up to 20 minutes to develop the dough the best.

( I personally added one tablespoon of demerara sugar to make it a little sweeter)

Let it rise covered in a greased bowl for about 1 1/2 hours. Punch the dough down, take challah now, let dough sit a couple of minutes, and shape loaves.

Let them rise 45-60 minutes, glaze with egg if you want, and then bake at 350* for 30-45 minutes, depending on the size of the loaves.

bceaya

Post Thu, Dec 15 2005, 1:40 pm
Thanks so much for the recipe, I will try it.
6 cups is enough to take challah?

willow

Post Thu, Dec 15 2005, 2:28 pm
I do not think so

MommyLuv

Post Wed, Jan 04 2006, 10:05 am
hey, ive been making an all whole wheat challah for at least a year.
it comes out very chewy, kinda like a rustic , wholesome, hearty country bread. if you want fluffy, delicate challah-this is not it!
you need to use high quality flour (organic if possible)-it makes a big dif!

I've switched from white flour challah and I find that I feel so much better after shabbos is over . the white challah used to give me headaches!

if you want to try it: it makes a lot of challah. I freeze them all and it lasts me about 3 shabbosim.

3 packets yeast
4 cups warm water
1tablespoon sugar

3 eggs
1 1/2 cups sugar or honey
3/4 cup canola or sunflower oil
1 tablespoon salt
approx. 1 entire 5-lb bag whole wheat flour (king arthur is great)

mix 1st three ingredients well. wait till it bubbles (couple minutes). add all
the rest of the ingredients. when you add the flour, do it gradually til you get the right consistency.-its more or less 1 bag. knead very well and let rise for about 3 hours. punch down, take challah with a bracha, and shape into challahs. let rise one hour longer and bake at 350 for about 30-40 mimutes til hollow inside. (you cant rely on color with this recipe cuz the dough starts out brown).

good luck! PM me if you want more info.

granolamom

Post Sun, Jan 15 2006, 8:46 am
I make whole wheat challah, its pretty chewy, not like regular challah but more like bread only sweeter

3Tbs yeast
6-7 cup water
3 eggs
I don't measure the honey, probably about 3/4 cup
3Tbs salt
1/2 cup oil
5 lb flour (I also like King Arthur)
a few Tbs vital gluten

be sure all ing. at room temp, water slightly warmer
Makes 6 large challot. I freeze and reheat wrapped in foil right before shabbos.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads