Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Help me find an alternative school
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 5:28 pm
Is there any girls school (elementary) in New Jersey that has an innovative approach to education? My daughter is in second grade and she hates school. She hates sitting in a desk all day. I wish I can find a school for her where learning is project based, where they can have art and dance as a subject, where they teach them about kindness, manners, emotional health etc...
Anyone know of such a school anywhere in nj?
And also, we're chasidish so that's another problem. I'm open to sending to any type of school, but it can't be like modern orthodox because we won't fit in. I'm chasidish but open to the world. I wish I can find that perfect school for my daughter. Or open a school like I described. But I really don't have money for such a project
like opening a school. Any ideas?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 5:34 pm
Anyone?

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 5:51 pm
If you’re not open to modern orthodox, you may not find it. How much does fitting in matter to your dd? Are you ok with her friends having access to smartphones? Art and dance are definite possibilities in modern orthodox schools. You can take a tour of them, btw. Why not make appointments to do that and see how the schools sit with you?

bestme

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 7:05 pm
Homeschool

amother
DarkGreen

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 7:23 pm
What area of NJ?

amother
Peachpuff

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 7:46 pm
Maybe a Montessori? I know we have one in east Brunswick

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 9:58 pm
Whats the Montessori school like? And what religious spectrum?

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 10:06 pm
I run a small girls elementary school pod that basically is everything you described. We're based out of Teaneck so it's more modern-leaning although we have a pretty diverse parent body. I'm happy to talk you about our program or about how you would go about creating something similar in your neighborhood. You can email tiferetofteaneck@gmail.com for more information.

Hatzlacha!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 10:10 pm
That sounds so cool! The thing is around how much is tuition? We really can't afford expensive tuition:)
And fo you think my daughter would fit in, coming from a Yiddish speaking school?( though she talks and understands English)

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 10:19 pm
The tuition is $8,500 which is probably more than you're paying now but actually significantly lower than the schools in the area, which tend to be more like $20,000+

In terms of fitting in, the best way to know is to come see the place in action. If it seems like something that might work for your daughter, she would come visit for the day and see how she adjusts to the new environment etc.

Tiferet of Teaneck is a nonprofit organization (on top of the pod school program) that provides educational counseling for parents seeking alternative educational models and provides educational programs for homeschooling families in the NJ/NY. I'm happy to talk you through some options of what might work for your daughter. If you're comfortable, please feel to reach out to me through the email address I posted.

amother
Hydrangea

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 10:21 pm
Ohr Devorah in Lakewood is a very warm, small school where girls thrive. I personally know 2 girls who never did well in school until they transferred to this school and they are extremely happy! It may be too modern for you though. You have to decide what's more important to you- the chasidish thing or the schooling thing. Also, are you sure your daughter is so unhappy or can it be that you're projecting your own feelings/ trauma on her? Something to think about. Please disregard if not applicable...

Best of luck!!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 10:29 pm
Can you tell me more about ohr devorah?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 10 2024, 11:20 am
And btw the trauma part is true so you're right

eagle

Post Wed, Apr 10 2024, 11:30 am
Ohr Devora is very much a diverse crowd. You will find very modern but you will also find very frum as well (although probably a bit unique). It is important to note that the entire faculty is extremely frum mostly mainstream Lakewood crowd (although again more open minded). I think that is a big difference to the modern schools.
You can pm me if you want more information.

eagle

Post Wed, Apr 10 2024, 11:32 am
FYI Ohr Devora is under the guidance of Rabbi Ozer Babad (Chassidish)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wf0O5SsmkqM

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 10 2024, 11:37 am
Thanks so much! Any boys schools like that in lakewood that accept? And would be the right fit for my son? He's 5.

eagle

Post Wed, Apr 10 2024, 11:40 am
Possibly Yeshivas Ohr Hachinuch. It has become very popular the past few years.

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, Apr 10 2024, 11:44 am
Bnos Sarah in Lakewood is Montessori based I believed.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 10 2024, 11:45 am
I never hear of it. Is it chasidish ? Who sends there? Do they have good rebbes and innovative ways of teaching?

eagle

Post Wed, Apr 10 2024, 11:51 am
It is not chassidish and also has a more modern crowd.
There are some previous imamother threads that could be helpful.

https://www.imamother.com/foru.....32928
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics