Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Pandas

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 5:53 pm
What’s the next step after running bloodwork, if titers are slightly elevated and the child has a few symptoms? Everyone says do bloodwork, but then what? I’m afraid to do antibiotics if it only helps while the child is on it.

amother
Butterscotch

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 6:42 pm
The gold standard is long term abx, motrin and benadryl

If you're interested in going a more holistic route, you can do herbal antibiotics and anti inflammatories, they can be very effective

Homeopathy is an option too

Many pandas kids respond dramatically to diet changes

rose613

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 10:11 pm
Similar situation to you but ASO was over 500.

Did a 2 week abx trial but currently my ped will only give abx if active infection

You want to make lifestyle changes that will help minimize inflammation and regulate immunity

Cut out food coloring
Limit processed food
Vitamin D, probiotics and omega 3 daily
Considering tumeric and magnesium
Put dc in movement based extra curriculars (listened to a podcast about strengthening the brain and how exercise/complex movement is good for that)

Motrin and Allegra during a flare. Dc flares with viral illness and strep.

Hatzlacha

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 10:27 pm
amother Butterscotch wrote:
The gold standard is long term abx, motrin and benadryl

If you're interested in going a more holistic route, you can do herbal antibiotics and anti inflammatories, they can be very effective

Homeopathy is an option too

Many pandas kids respond dramatically to diet changes

I’m afraid to do the golden standard way as I thought it only improves while on antibiotics, am I wrong?

Can you elaborate the holistic route? I’ve tried looking into but so overwhelming.

What kind of diet changes? We’re already off food coloring and eat a balanced diet. I don’t want to just jump off gluten and dairy if I don’t know if that’s the right thing for this child.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 10:29 pm
rose613 wrote:
Similar situation to you but ASO was over 500.

Did a 2 week abx trial but currently my ped will only give abx if active infection

You want to make lifestyle changes that will help minimize inflammation and regulate immunity

Cut out food coloring
Limit processed food
Vitamin D, probiotics and omega 3 daily
Considering tumeric and magnesium
Put dc in movement based extra curriculars (listened to a podcast about strengthening the brain and how exercise/complex movement is good for that)

Motrin and Allegra during a flare. Dc flares with viral illness and strep.

Hatzlacha

what does it mean if my child isn’t sick and has symptoms straight throughout? (Not just flares)

Also like I said we already eat healthy and child is too young for extra curriculars:( it’s so hard! Wishing u well with yours!

rose613

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 10:37 pm
amother OP wrote:
what does it mean if my child isn’t sick and has symptoms straight throughout? (Not just flares)

Also like I said we already eat healthy and child is too young for extra curriculars:( it’s so hard! Wishing u well with yours!

Thank you.

Did you notice a behavioral change after strep or a virus?

If not and your child is young and has a consistent difficult temperament - I wouldn’t necessarily jump to pandas but maybe keep in the back of your mind. You could try OT first for emotional regulation.

If your child’s behavior changes after a virus or strep and hasn’t gone back to baseline that’s where Pam’s/pandas comes in.

Vitamin D, Omega 3, and probiotics won’t hurt.

amother
Butterscotch

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 10:38 pm
amother OP wrote:
I’m afraid to do the golden standard way as I thought it only improves while on antibiotics, am I wrong?

Can you elaborate the holistic route? I’ve tried looking into but so overwhelming.

What kind of diet changes? We’re already off food coloring and eat a balanced diet. I don’t want to just jump off gluten and dairy if I don’t know if that’s the right thing for this child.
I'm very very crunchy, as in, my child never took a single drug in their entire life until their pandas onset, not even Tylenol for teething, but I still very strongly believe that antibiotics are better than nothing when it comes to pandas. This is something that must be nipped in the bud, the longer it goes untreated the harder it is to put into remission. There are many many alternatives out there but they're pricey and complex and individualized.

Anyways, if you want a straightforward protocol that works similarly to abx and motrin, you can try these 3 herbs:

https://woodlandessence.com/pr....._ss=r

If you want to add in another really effective intervention, I would go with magnesium footsoaks: 1 cup Epsom salt, 1 cup magnesium flakes, 1 tsp baking soda in a basin with warm water to cover the ankles. Soak for 20-30 minutes 2 or 3 times a week.

Gluten, dairy, sugar, dyes and msg are the worst offenders when it comes to pandas . I know how impossible it is to eliminate them from our children's diets. I wish there was an easier solution.

amother
Moonstone

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 10:58 pm
I'm very very crunchy, as in, my child never took a single drug in their entire life until their pandas onset, not even Tylenol for teething, but I still very strongly believe that antibiotics are better than nothing when it comes to pandas. This is something that must be nipped in the bud, the longer it goes untreated the harder it is to put into remission. There are many many alternatives out there but they're pricey and complex and individualized.

Anyways, if you want a straightforward protocol that works similarly to abx and motrin, you can try these 3 herbs:

If you want to add in another really effective intervention, I would go with magnesium footsoaks: 1 cup Epsom salt, 1 cup magnesium flakes, 1 tsp baking soda in a basin with warm water to cover the ankles. Soak for 20-30 minutes 2 or 3 times a week.

Gluten, dairy, sugar, dyes and msg are the worst offenders when it comes to pandas . I know how impossible it is to eliminate them from our children's diets. I wish there was an easier solution.
doesn't Epsom salt contain magnesium ? I've tried the foot soaks but child was uncooperative. Just pouring Epsom salt into bath and seeing difference bh

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 11:24 pm

Thanks for the detailed response. Are you saying that the antibiotics heal it for good?

Why does it have to be taken for so long?

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 11:25 pm
rose613 wrote:
Thank you.

Did you notice a behavioral change after strep or a virus?

If not and your child is young and has a consistent difficult temperament - I wouldn’t necessarily jump to pandas but maybe keep in the back of your mind. You could try OT first for emotional regulation.

If your child’s behavior changes after a virus or strep and hasn’t gone back to baseline that’s where Pam’s/pandas comes in.

Vitamin D, Omega 3, and probiotics won’t hurt.

Yes the change happened after strep but it hasn’t gone away even tho they haven’t been sick for months.

amother
Butterscotch

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 11:25 pm
amother Moonstone wrote:
doesn't Epsom salt contain magnesium ? I've tried the foot soaks but child was uncooperative. Just pouring Epsom salt into bath and seeing difference bh
Epsom salt contains small amounts of magnesium, it's mostly sulfur. Which is great for opening detox pathways, but magnesium takes it up a notch.

rose613

Post Fri, May 03 2024, 7:11 am
amother OP wrote:
Yes the change happened after strep but it hasn’t gone away even tho they haven’t been sick for months.

Flares can start during the illness and last post Illness. I would focus on reducing inflammation and IMO be open to an antibiotic trial of 3-4 weeks. I would also consider Motrin/allegra to see if it helps.

Demystifying pans/pandas by dr O’Hara is a great book and I personally found that doing my own research was empowering. As it tooo me a year to find a pandas literate doctor.

Every child is different. Mine flares after viral illness in strep even though treated with antibiotics whenever there’s an infection.

amother
Butterscotch

Post Fri, May 03 2024, 7:31 am
amother OP wrote:
Thanks for the detailed response. Are you saying that the antibiotics heal it for good?

Why does it have to be taken for so long?
Most kids probably don't find long term healing from antibiotics alone, but I still think it's better than nothing unless you can get them onto an aggressive, multi pronged alternative healing program asap.

The reason it needs to be taken for so long is because a) there's usually a chronic infection and those can take a long time to get rid of and b) strep is everywhere, and every tiny exposure will set off the immune response, so keeping levels down for a very long time allows the immune system to "forget" its mistake and reset.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics