Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Do you have to rinse poultry meats

amother

Post Mon, Aug 25 2008, 11:54 am
I never paid attention if my mother does this, and I dont.
Is this a necessity for cleaning purposes, is this just to rinse off some of the salty flavor which may be in kosher meats? How gross is it if I dont rinse meats.

Pineapple

Post Mon, Aug 25 2008, 11:56 am
I dont know if you have to or not but I do it.

yo'ma

Post Mon, Aug 25 2008, 12:10 pm
Funny you ask because we made a barbecue recently and the meat wasn't salty at all. I asked my husband, isn't kosher meat supposed to be salty. He said that after they salt, they rinse it off. I guess it depends where you get it from on how much they rinse.

greenfire

Post Mon, Aug 25 2008, 12:14 pm
always rinse ... who knows who touched it or how long it's sitting in the package ... I feel it washes away any possible bacteria ...

HindaRochel

Post Mon, Aug 25 2008, 12:16 pm
I always rinse as well, just for healths sake.

egam

Post Mon, Aug 25 2008, 12:21 pm
This question reminds me of cooking show where Julia Child and Jacques Pepin each showed their way of cooking chicken. Julia started with washing it thoroughly wish dish soap and water and Jacques mentions to astonished Julia he doesn't wash it. He said the chicken goes in 400 degrees oven for a long time and any germ that survives is, deserves to be alive. LOL
By the way I do rinse mine.

btMOMtoFFBs

Post Mon, Aug 25 2008, 6:11 pm
amother that is a great question for the butcher and I will ask mine the next time I'm in the shop!

I have not rinsed mine before using for the reasons already stated. 1. Kosher meat is already rinsed and 2. No bacteria will survive baking in the oven.

But if the butcher recommends it to me, I will do it.

Mimisinger

Post Mon, Aug 25 2008, 6:32 pm
I read that you're davka not supposed to rinse chicken because it spreads bacteria around your kitchen and any that's on the chicken will cook off.

Love My Babes

Post Mon, Aug 25 2008, 6:33 pm
the thought of not washing it is gross to me, and im not a clean freak. it always has stuff on it. it just makes me feel better.

Mimisinger

Post Mon, Aug 25 2008, 6:34 pm
Btw, I just googled it and all the articles said not to rinse for the reason I stated.

mom21n2

Post Tue, Aug 26 2008, 9:27 am
I do usually rinse, but it seems silly, since any deadly bacteria in the chicken is not coming off with a rinse, and that's why I'm cooking it, isn't it?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen