Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Homeschool pod
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 23 2024, 9:19 pm
Jason anyone been homeschooling, or have homeschooling their child?

As the years go by, the more I'm unhappy with the school systems.

They drain you financially (how many Imamother posts are there currently on the tuition crisis? 3,4??) And then the education is spotty,(and) or there are some pretty bad middos issues with some other kids in the classes. Not to mention kids are in school ALL DAY, stuck in a classroom, barely any breaks, and have no childhood!

I'm finding it all so too much, and wondering what in the world am I paying so much tuition for, that we are in the red every month, we can't afford (so don't do) cleaning help, takeout, vacations of any kind, can't even host people for meals without feeling it.

That's with both husband and I working, my husband is BH making great money, but if you looked at our bank account ud be shocked!

We pay full tuition. We're left with nothing after bills and mortgage... and have some credit card debt. It's crippling.

And we pay for a service and are not happy with it.

The more time goes by, the more I'm seriously considering starting a homeschool pod. With a couple other families, hire a tutor, have half days, and the rest spending doing normal childhood things.

Zoo, museums, parks, playing, have practical courses, such as sewing, cooking/baking,
Maybe even swim and dance as a suedo gym class, piano...

And we'd probably still be better off financially. Kids would be happier. There would be other kids in the pod, and that coupled with classes they'd have socialization....

I don't know if I have a concrete question... I guess has anyone done it, and what are pros and cons.

I know a lot are gonna argue , and that's fair, that's your opinion. But I'd love to hear if anyone has actually done it.

amother
Dahlia

Post Thu, May 23 2024, 9:26 pm
I’m leaning towards doing this in a couple years when my kids are school age

I feel it would be so much more beneficial to my kids, and I wouldn’t be killing myself to spend all my money on tuition

amother
Navyblue

Post Thu, May 23 2024, 9:29 pm
Yes

There are a few in Baltimore

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 23 2024, 9:32 pm
amother Navyblue wrote:
Yes

There are a few in Baltimore

Really? (I don't live there) but curious how they set it up?

I've spoken to some people by me who are theoretically interested, but don't know anyone who does it.

amother
Oak

Post Thu, May 23 2024, 9:36 pm
Have done it with a couple other mothers
Got together and highered a teacher.
It was wonderful

amother
Broom

Post Thu, May 23 2024, 9:38 pm
Between carpools had an article about this once. It was written by a mom who home schools

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 23 2024, 9:40 pm
amother Oak wrote:
Have done it with a couple other mothers
Got together and highered a teacher.
It was wonderful

Do you still?

What were the pros/cons? Did the kids like it?

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 23 2024, 9:41 pm
amother Broom wrote:
Between carpools had an article about this once. It was written by a mom who home schools

If you have it/link to read, I'd be interested. Smile

justforfun87

Post Thu, May 23 2024, 9:47 pm
There is a huge homeschooling crowd in Baltimore. From my understanding they do a round robin for a few short hours a day with a tutor. There are special events they attend such as homeschooling day at nature center etc. Very very active community here.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 23 2024, 9:52 pm
justforfun87 wrote:
There is a huge homeschooling crowd in Baltimore. From my understanding they do a round robin for a few short hours a day with a tutor. There are special events they attend such as homeschooling day at nature center etc. Very very active community here.

Wow, sounds amazing!! I don't live there, or very close. But good to know, if I get more serious I'd look into it for examples.

amother
Charcoal

Post Thu, May 23 2024, 10:44 pm
Wish I can do this! In the Chasidish tristate community is even more non typical....

Deep Blue

Post Thu, May 23 2024, 11:14 pm
I wanna teach your kids at home! I've been researching homeschooling since I was 17 and had a brother struggling in school. Always stayed interested - I love researching! I know all the styles and curricula and websites. Lots of free things too. Anyone want my lists?

In my opinion the key is to keep the learning open ended and literature based. If it's all just worksheets and online school like many were doing during Covid it would be pointless. Also way less fun for kids.

amother
Broom

Post Thu, May 23 2024, 11:22 pm
amother OP wrote:
If you have it/link to read, I'd be interested. Smile

https://betweencarpools.com/homeschooling/

Goldie613

Post Thu, May 23 2024, 11:53 pm
I know there are some Jewish online programs for this -

These are the ones I've heard of before, but I am sure there are others -

https://melamedacademy.com/

https://www.nigrijewishonlineschool.com/

amother
Caramel

Post Fri, May 24 2024, 12:01 am
I hear your frustration, OP. I could have written it myself. One of my children has been so poorly educated and exposed to bad middos- I wamt my tuition refunded!
It’s a big challenge to be the mother and the teacher. I don’t home school, but I have been supplementing one child’s education because it’s just so poor- a parent child relationship and a teacher student relationship are different. I don’t know every subject in every grade level that well…so I would constantly second-guess myself

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 24 2024, 12:11 am
amother Broom wrote:
https://betweencarpools.com/homeschooling/

Thank you!!

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 24 2024, 12:12 am
amother Caramel wrote:
I hear your frustration, OP. I could have written it myself. One of my children has been so poorly educated and exposed to bad middos- I wamt my tuition refunded!
It’s a big challenge to be the mother and the teacher. I don’t home school, but I have been supplementing one child’s education because it’s just so poor- a parent child relationship and a teacher student relationship are different. I don’t know every subject in every grade level that well…so I would constantly second-guess myself

Thanks for the validation.

I definitely couldn't do the teaching myself. But I'd hire a tutor.

amother
Coral

Post Fri, May 24 2024, 12:13 am
amother OP wrote:
Thank you!!

If you send an email or post under your screen name I can message you. I've been tutoring for a homeschooling family for 15 years.

amother
Bone

Post Fri, May 24 2024, 2:41 pm
If you're in the FR/5T area, I'd teach your kids math. And maybe also science or history. Possibly creative writing.

I'd love to pull my girls and homeschool them because I feel like their academic needs are not fully met in school, but my husband exists as well and has opinions too.

amother
Clematis

Post Tue, May 28 2024, 6:27 pm
If you’re looking for a kriah, Chumash or Gemara curriculum check out Torah4children.com

The books are easy to use, and engaging.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics