Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Anyone else watching the convention right now?
1  2  Next

btMOMtoFFBs

Post Thu, Aug 28 2008, 8:52 pm
I am watching it on CNN.com... it is so well choreographed and timed and the greek-building style set is unreal.

It's been years since we've had a TV, so maybe I am totally out of touch... but... Am I watching a political convention or the academy awards?

Will the Republican convention be so musical and dramatic, too?

What are your thoughts on this convention?

Maya

Post Thu, Aug 28 2008, 10:33 pm
Like you said, it's all musical and dramatic. Is there anything real behind it?

flowerpower

Post Thu, Aug 28 2008, 10:34 pm
I will not listen or watch it bec. it's one piece of bull!

zigi

Post Thu, Aug 28 2008, 10:35 pm
there is nothing else on. I am yelling at the tv.

OldYoung

Post Thu, Aug 28 2008, 11:04 pm
movie's over. that was bizarre.

Miss Missie

Post Thu, Aug 28 2008, 11:43 pm
Must admit, it was enjoyable!

If only he'll keep even half of those promises Cheers

Wonder if the Republicans will display the same enthusiasm towards McCain.

mimivan

Post Fri, Aug 29 2008, 12:11 am
I'll never forget being made to watch the Democratic convention when I was a kid. We actually enjoyed it. My father would weep when he heard Mario Cuomo speak the way some people cry at the opera...(I admit, Cuomo is a great orator)

well, I'm a lapsed Democrat, frum no TV...but politics bores me utterly now when I catch a bit of a speech etc...it just becomes more theatrical and more artificial as time goes on...I've never understood why people get praised or panned for their speeches. They don't even write them anyway. Of course, the person who actually wrote the speech doesn't get credit. It is as if people still think Presidents are like Abe Lincoln, writing the drafts of their speeches on the back of an envelop on the way to Gettysburg. Such a pretense...

I had to get away from it and come back and take a peek at it (reading speeches online, watching clips) to really see how fake it all is.

And I don't think either party has a monopoly on artificiality...the Republicans are no better.

My brother still has an almost religious devotion to the Democratic Party. He's there...it's a part of his job...fine for him...

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Fri, Aug 29 2008, 8:20 am
I liked what he said. Sure, half of it was just bull, thats normal, but even at a 50/50 rate, it's better than what we have now.

I don't like the America we live in now, and I don't see that changing with another Republican in office. I think McCain is more of a risk than Obama.

shayna82

Post Fri, Aug 29 2008, 9:03 am
obama is def. more of a people person, and he def. tried to get people by bringing up personal family issues and events. He already does have more of the young vote than mcCain. True, that every candidate claims to want to change everything that is going bad, however he touched on a few issues that I never heard from bush or Mccain. I think he is the better of the two. Im going to vote for him.

He came from very little, unlike mccain and bush- who were handed their wealth on a silver platter, so maybe its time for someone like Obama who knows what its like to just get by every month, and have to get tons of loans to get into college to run America- to stop giving those that have a lot huge tax breaks and to stop expecting everyone else to rise up with little resources.

ClaRivka

Post Fri, Aug 29 2008, 9:18 am
Uch, my mother and 2 of my friends were watching it last night (with out root beer floats!).
We were just yelling at the tv the whole time. He may be charismatic but he cannot even speak english correctly!

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Fri, Aug 29 2008, 9:18 am
shayna82 wrote:
He came from very little, unlike mccain and bush- who were handed their wealth on a silver platter, so maybe its time for someone like Obama who knows what its like to just get by every month, and have to get tons of loans to get into college to run America- to stop giving those that have a lot huge tax breaks and to stop expecting everyone else to rise up with little resources.

well said!

btMOMtoFFBs

Post Fri, Aug 29 2008, 10:01 am
I really wasn't trying to start another thread debating the candidates.

I was just surprised by the theatrics of the convention. It seemed like I was watching a movie about a political convention. It did not seem "real" at all.

Just wondering if I was totally out of touch with the political scene today or if this is really how it is.

Does it take the Hollywood feel with celebrities and pop singers and mini-movies and a stage like that one to get people interested in politics at all these days? Is this what our country is all about now?

I am a political junkie, so I was just taken aback by all the "drama" of this convention.

I guess we'll see how the Republicans do their convention.

OldYoung

Post Fri, Aug 29 2008, 10:05 am
I was wondering the same thing... I mean, he's not even a president. Just a candidate. I felt like I was watching a movie too. Confused Or a rock concert. I thought the whole show of it was bizarre.

And Biden's wife looked drunk. Am I the only one?

shayna82

Post Fri, Aug 29 2008, 10:24 am
no, I disagree. it was as usual.

ClaRivka

Post Fri, Aug 29 2008, 10:27 am
OldYoung wrote:
I was wondering the same thing... I mean, he's not even a president. Just a candidate. I felt like I was watching a movie too. Confused Or a rock concert. I thought the whole show of it was bizarre.

And Biden's wife looked drunk. Am I the only one?

oldyoung, LOL! She did look a little off!

I cant believe how many ppl were there!

I usually have no interest in politics and all I hear abt it is a second here or there when I am in the car with my husband. I happened to have been at my parents last night and I thought that that was the most cheering and the most ppl I have ever heard in one place.

And his "set" was very nice!

chavamom

Post Fri, Aug 29 2008, 10:34 am
btMOMtoFFBs wrote:

Will the Republican convention be so musical and dramatic, too?

According to CNN yes, though the focus will be country music artists. Gotta entertain to get people to watch.

chavamom

Post Fri, Aug 29 2008, 10:35 am
RivkiA wrote:
He may be charismatic but he cannot even speak english correctly!

Were we listening to the same (Harvard educated) person speak???

shayna82

Post Fri, Aug 29 2008, 10:43 am
his english was fine.

btMOMtoFFBs

Post Fri, Aug 29 2008, 11:01 am
Does any one have an attention span anymore?

Why does it take rock stars and theatrics to make politics of interest?

What the heck is happening to this country?

OldYoung

Post Fri, Aug 29 2008, 11:10 am
I think the drama took away from the important parts of the actual speech, and for the young, uneducated people with a lousy attention span like me, it was probably the worst way to present a candidate. All I will ever remember about Obama's speech are fireworks, music, a podium that sank into the floor, tons and tons of confetti and streamers and maybe a line or two that he actually said. There are probably more educated and focused people who will tell me I'm silly and immature, but I know that I am not alone. I would have appreciated an intelligent, mature, captivating presentation, minus all of the glitz. I hope John McCan do better.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics