Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Is Palin's pregnant daughter a reflection on her as a mother
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Ruchel

Post Wed, Sep 03 2008, 3:10 pm
I watched tv and went to public school, like many or most MO girls in France. Let me tell you, first, you can pick your friends. Second, if you have taught your daughter about her worth (or your son, etc) as a bas Yisroel, she will NOT emulate what will be to her what SOME non jews do (and not the best...).

Actually, when I saw my s-xually active friends, it made me think they were just losing their time and getting problems for nothing really worth it (at that age, stage of life, maturity level, etc).

Physical barriers won't help anything, MENTAL barriers are stronger than iron. It's not just about numbers (two parents vs all the peers). While it's true that a number of teens are not that "clever", which is I am ALL FOR SEPARATION. But let's not assume separation is the only way, or that it's a miracle cure (off the derech kids....).

Quote:

I have no idea if the Palins are good parents. They may be, even if she is a working mother.

can say shock shock shock

gonewiththewind

Post Wed, Sep 03 2008, 3:24 pm
Ruchel wrote:
I watched tv and went to public school, like many or most MO girls in France. Let me tell you, first, you can pick your friends. Second, if you have taught your daughter about her worth (or your son, etc) as a bas Yisroel, she will NOT emulate what will be to her what SOME non jews do (and not the best...).

Actually, when I saw my s-xually active friends, it made me think they were just losing their time and getting problems for nothing really worth it (at that age, stage of life, maturity level, etc).

Physical barriers won't help anything, MENTAL barriers are stronger than iron. It's not just about numbers (two parents vs all the peers). While it's true that a number of teens are not that "clever", which is I am ALL FOR SEPARATION. But let's not assume separation is the only way, or that it's a miracle cure (off the derech kids....).

Quote:

I have no idea if the Palins are good parents. They may be, even if she is a working mother.

can say shock shock shock

Anecdotal evidence is not proof. If we look at Jewish kids who go to public school, the statistics are really poor in terms of their yiddishkeit. And we are talking about a mental barrier, it is called seeing ourselves as a group apart. And, of course, my point was working mothers can be good mothers. I am a working mother of seven and I think I'm a great mom and would not be better as a SAHM. I understand there is a language and culture gap that makes it hard for you, but it is irritating.

Tamiri

Post Wed, Sep 03 2008, 3:34 pm
Akeres, I think that what you wrote is very wise
I had posted something after Clarissa about things I had discussed with my sons regarding "doing it" but promptly deleted because there is amother here who knows one of my children and my writing things like that could have embarrassed him, had that amother informed him what Mom (me) is writing about.
So then you have this mother VP to-be who is bringing something so personal into the spotlight...and it makes you think. Ya, she has great family values. Privacy just doesn't happen to be one of them.

ora_43

Post Wed, Sep 03 2008, 3:59 pm
Tamiri, until Palin became governor about two years ago she was mayor of a very small town. Her rise to the heights she's at today was somewhat meteoric. I'm guessing that during her oldest daughter's formative years she spent almost as much time at home as the average working mother.

In general, I don't see one kid going off the derech or acting rebelliously as a reflection on the parent. Two or more is a different question, though. Maybe this is unfair, but when I see that a few kids from the same family act a certain way, I assume it has something to do with their upbringing (not necessarily something the parent did wrong, btw--sometimes there was just a tough situation at home due to circumstances nobody could control). So I don't assume anything about Palin because of her daughter's behavior, but I do assume something about Ehud Olmert, who has three children who are extreme leftists.

soldat

Post Wed, Sep 03 2008, 4:06 pm
waterbottle wrote:
Rural Alaska is quite boring... I mean they are from a town of 6000 people. What else is there for teenagers to do during the cold winter months when they are stuck inside??

dog sleding
mountain climbing
hiking on the glaciers
and then they make up for it in the summer in the Land of the Midnight Sun

Chani

Post Wed, Sep 03 2008, 5:01 pm
I think that if we disqualified as unfit every parent of a teenage child who has had relations, we'd be so bereft of candidates that the local dogcatcher would look pretty good.

BTW, who said she was promiscuous? Do you know how many boys she had relations with or how many times? Promiscuous is a pretty harsh label to apply to a 17 year old who did nothing more than most other 17 year olds except having her situation be made public (might I add, something she might have avoided with an abortion, so kudos to her for having the moral courage not to take the easy way out.)

Who knows why Palin didn't come out with this? For one thing, nobody knows how long Palin has known herself...maybe it hadn't been worked out with the boy what they were going to do vis a vis marriage... who knows?

In any event, I don't really even care if she's a good parent or not - it is TOTALLY IRRELEVANT to the job. I want somebody who'll be good for Israel, won't raise my taxes (and hopefully will get rid of the AMT and not try to reinstate the inheritance tax), supports tuition vouchers, and generally limits government as much as possible.

BTW, I think most of the nonsense politicians get dragged through is irrelevant. Clinton's affair, well, he was in good company with a long long long list of presidents some of whom maintained mistresses in far more scandalous fashion than he. And lest we forget our American history, we've even had one president who admitted fathering an illegitimate child prior to becoming President - Grover Cleveland - as well as others who almost undoubtedly did - including Thomas Jefferson. Big Whoop. Some of our models of probity, on the other hand have been miserable Presidents, e.g. Jimmy Carter. So let's start a thread about tax policy or something more germane to governing the country.

gonewiththewind

Post Wed, Sep 03 2008, 5:34 pm
Chani, you go girl! right on.

tzipp

Post Wed, Sep 03 2008, 7:20 pm
You gotta admit there is a big difference between the candidate doing something and his or her child doing something!

cassandra

Post Wed, Sep 03 2008, 7:39 pm
Chani, you're on a roll. Don't stop. It's music to my ears.

Clarissa

Post Wed, Sep 03 2008, 7:42 pm
And what I said wasn't music to your ears? I told us to not care about the daughter. What does a Democrat have to do around here to be more musical than I've been in this thread?

la la la la la la Music

cassandra

Post Wed, Sep 03 2008, 7:46 pm
Start singing "Repeal the AMT, Repeal the AMT, stop the thieving government, Repeal the AMT"

greenfire

Post Wed, Sep 03 2008, 7:52 pm
maybe we should elect one of you ... after all what I'm looking for is a woman president ...

Kinneret

Post Wed, Sep 03 2008, 9:00 pm
I'm certainly thinking of writing in Clarissa. We'd get a sensible president and cake.

Clarissa

Post Wed, Sep 03 2008, 10:25 pm
Kinneret wrote:
I'm certainly thinking of writing in Clarissa. We'd get a sensible president and cake.
Not so sensible, but you would get cake.

greenfire

Post Wed, Sep 03 2008, 10:28 pm
so did you hear that brittany's the little sister spears - sent some unsolicited advice to palin's dd ... Nervous

greenfire

Post Wed, Sep 03 2008, 10:49 pm
okay I'm watching more political news than I would like ... but I think palin will be the next "american doll" ... Wink

Kinneret

Post Wed, Sep 03 2008, 11:17 pm
Clarissa wrote:
Kinneret wrote:
Not so sensible, but you would get cake.

I'm definitely voting for you now. Neither McCain or Obama has offered me so much as a cookie.

HindaRochel

Post Thu, Sep 04 2008, 12:59 am
Chani wrote:

Who knows why Palin didn't come out with this? For one thing, nobody knows how long Palin has known herself...maybe it hadn't been worked out with the boy what they were going to do vis a vis marriage... who knows?

McCain did know, and it has been an open secret in Alaska for quite a while. Alaskan's just didn't think it was any of their business to speak about it to anyone.

chavamom

Post Thu, Sep 04 2008, 1:05 am
And HOW, pray tell, is something an open secret if the righteous people of AK didn't gossip about it? Go argue with McCain's people. It was in an interview today on the radio I was listening to prior to Gulianni and Palin speaking during the coverage of the convention. I had also head McCain's statement that they knew, but this was the first admission I had heard that they didn't. I guess they are backtracking on that one.

And was I the only one not freaked out by the photo of the giant cross being beamed in the background during Palin's speech????

HindaRochel

Post Thu, Sep 04 2008, 1:13 am
chavamom wrote:
And HOW, pray tell, is something an open secret if the righteous people of AK didn't gossip about it? Go argue with McCain's people. It was in an interview today on the radio I was listening to prior to Gulianni and Palin speaking during the coverage of the convention. I had also head McCain's statement that they knew, but this was the first admission I had heard that they didn't. I guess they are backtracking on that one.

And was I the only one not freaked out by the photo of the giant cross being beamed in the background during Palin's speech????

They knew it, they just didn't discuss it. Okay, and they went on. Who cared? I got the feeling it was more of an announcement kind of thing "Oh Bristol is pregnant" "That's nice, pass the butter" kind of thing. At least that is what the resident of the city made it sound like. No one made a big deal of it because there wasn't an official announcement and until they did it just wasn't food for fodder.

And I didn't see the cross, but I could have missed it as it was on YouTube. Saw the flag though.

She spoke brilliantly, and I loved watching how the family interacted...so sweet.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics