Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Using a pressure cooker

cubbie

Post Fri, Sep 19 2008, 4:11 am
I've never used one, I don't know why I'm scared of them, but MIL always uses one for meat stews and there is no doubt about it her meat always comes out really soft and not chewy whereas mine (using the same cut) comes out tough and chewy and both dh & I prefer our meat soft. So how do I use one? Is there a better type to buy? How long would I cook for using it? Can they explode? (my big fear)

Aidelmom

Post Fri, Sep 19 2008, 4:20 am
You can use a crock pot, that would do the trick. My sister actually cooks the meat in a regular pot but for hours and hours and it comes out very tender.

mummy-bh

Post Fri, Sep 19 2008, 4:34 am
I use my pressure cooker for chicken soup and for making tzimmes. I don't really use it for anything else. It cuts down the cooking time substantially; chicken soup takes 30 mins from when it starts to pressurise

I agree, it IS my scariest piece of kitchen equipment!!

Get your MIL to teach you how to use it - that' s what I did Smile

goodheart

Post Fri, Sep 26 2008, 9:50 am
My mother always used a pressure cooker so I figured I will also
I bought a very expensive one I trie using it 1 time I hated I went back
to my reg pots and crock pot. if u leave in the crock pot for a long time
on a low # it does the same trick.

MOE

Post Fri, Sep 26 2008, 4:56 pm
just put the food in add it to the heat shut the lid wait untill the whistle blows take it off the heat let it rest for a couple of minutes take off the lid whats so hard and scary.......you could really doeverything in a preassure cooker with regular pots just it cuts down cooking time segniffently.....I think kentuky fried chicken uses a deepfry pressure cooker dont recommend that u do that in your pressure cooker but its common method of cooking

grin

Post Sat, Sep 27 2008, 2:57 pm
I use pressure cookers for much of my cooking since they cut down on cooking time, saving me time and gas, and makes the food softer and better-cooked. They have multiple safety plugs,so they won't explode like the old ones could. They also rarely burn the food. One thing you must remember is never to force it one; either wait for cool it off first under a cold running faucet.

Tamiri

Post Sat, Sep 27 2008, 3:05 pm
grin wrote:
One thing you must remember is never to force it one; either wait for cool it off first under a cold running faucet.

And my husband has nasty scars on his inner wrist to prove this. From over 25 years ago. Erev YK, he was in a rush to get to a Yeshiva for the chag and did not wait long enough before opening his mother's pot of chicken soup. He had horrible burns (went to Yeshiva anyway, of course) that fortunately are in a place you don't see. Had it hit his face...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen