Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Anyone else dye their hair?

avigailmiriam

Post Sun, Oct 26 2008, 10:35 am
I just dyed my hair for the first time. My hair is completely covered when I'm out of the house, so just DH and I get to see it like this, but I'm glad I did it! I had medium brown hair, I dyed it so it's a really dark brownish red. Very Happy It makes me happy.

myfriends715

Post Sun, Oct 26 2008, 10:47 am
I was wondering.. cuz I was thinking of streaking my hair (also only 4 dh cuz I cover it) but is it considered a chatziza for the mikvah?

Ruchel

Post Sun, Oct 26 2008, 10:49 am
My rav says, it's chatzitza if you want it to go away/ wouldn't go out like that if you uncovered your hair.

I dye my hair. Now that I cover completely I also feel it's unneeded and dh is telling me to drop it already lol

Tzippora

Post Sun, Oct 26 2008, 10:51 am
If you like that color, but don't want to deal with roots or chemicals, I use henna on my medium-dark brown hair. It's gorgeous and easy and it fades over months so you don't see roots or anything.

It makes my hair look richer and less ashy, especially during the winter.

Tzippora

Post Sun, Oct 26 2008, 10:52 am
1- how can it be a chatzitza if it's not anything removable (I.e permanent dye = permanent dental work) 2- it's not even anything physical that can be "taken off"

Mimisinger

Post Sun, Oct 26 2008, 11:00 am
I was taught hair dye is a chatzitza when it's not fully permanent.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Oct 26 2008, 11:01 am
Beware, if you do henna and then wanna bleach, it can go wrong or be extra hard.

greenfire

Post Sun, Oct 26 2008, 11:08 am
hair dye is not a chatzitza ...

anyways when people see my 30 hairs they suggest I dye it - I think it makes them nervous cause they can't handle gracefully aging ...

I've dyed other people's hair - it's FUN for some people - so go for it ... if it makes you happy ... I would try some kool colors too !!! Colors

avigailmiriam

Post Sun, Oct 26 2008, 11:21 am
No way I'd bleach. I like dark hair.

I've looked into henna, but I was intimidated by the process of mixing the dyes. Can you recommend any kits?

My rav said if it's permanent, there's not chatzitza.

greenfire

Post Sun, Oct 26 2008, 11:26 am
go into a beauty supply store - such as "sally's" - and ask for help - they'll guide you to purchase just the right things ...

JRKmommy

Post Sun, Oct 26 2008, 12:04 pm
I use Loreal Natural Match - it smells less than some other dyes, and it's pretty simple to just color it in the bathtub for 30 minutes. I chose a color that's close to my own - it just covers grey and gives it a bit of a boost.

bubby

Post Sun, Oct 26 2008, 12:18 pm
I was told bleaching is a Chatziza, dyeing isn't. No clue why. I've been dying my hair since I was in my early 20's to cover the genetic gray. I know nobody sees it, but when I step out of the shower I see it! LOL

rachel19977

Post Sun, Oct 26 2008, 1:21 pm
I highlight my hair, DH likes it and I like it, makes ME happier too!

So what if the "world" doesn't see it - the DH is important to you and if he likes it, go right ahead!

Tzippora

Post Sun, Oct 26 2008, 2:38 pm
avigailmiriam wrote:
No way I'd bleach. I like dark hair.

I've looked into henna, but I was intimidated by the process of mixing the dyes. Can you recommend any kits?

My rav said if it's permanent, there's not chatzitza.

Not sure where you live, but I go to Ricky's (www.rickysnyc.com) and buy the Surya henna powder in Red. I don't use the cream, but that is pre-mixed for you and I tried it once and am not sure it works as well. The powder just tells you how much water to add, to mix it together, and put it in your hair.

I have medium-dark brown hair. When you first put it in, it'll look somewhat lighter and reddish, but after you rinse it out COMPLETELY (and after a few days to settle and get rinsed out) you hair will shine redder in the light, but look much more natural than getting real highlights.

I don't know what will happen if you have lighter hair, but they also have different colors with a guide on the outside of the box for different hair colors.

Also - over months, the henna will get more and more subtle and your hair will roughly return to its original color.

avigailmiriam

Post Sun, Oct 26 2008, 2:43 pm
Thanks!

Tzippora

Post Sun, Oct 26 2008, 3:06 pm
No problem! Lemme know how it turns out! Smile

rachel19977

Post Sun, Oct 26 2008, 3:34 pm
Tzippora-
Where do you see on the site that you can shop?

Tzippora

Post Sun, Oct 26 2008, 4:16 pm
You can't - I shouldn't assume everyone is in NY, but that's the store I buy it at.

The henna is slightly more expensive (like $2) after shipping, but here you go. Just google "surya red henna powder" for more results.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007DHMGK
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics