Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Does this need to be checked for shatnez?

PinkandYellow

Post Thu, Oct 30 2008, 6:18 pm
my mil bought me a very nice sweater froma store, loemans I think, or s/t like that. anyways, the label is in italian and I'm pretty sure its ok, but haven't worn it yet cuz I want ot be sure.
here is what the label says: cashmere, angora, lana, viscosa, poliammide made in italy. does it sound like I need to check it or is it ok?

now the skirt she bought me, I'm almost 100% sure needs to be checked. that label says: 65% poly, 20% ray, 15% wool. I think cuz it has wool it has to be checked regardless, right? actually, I'm not so concerned about the skirt cuz it doesn't fit me right now. but hopefully soon I'll lose enough weight and then...

anyways, tia.

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Oct 30 2008, 6:24 pm
call the shatnez lab and ask. I've done that and saved myself a trip.

PinkandYellow

Post Thu, Oct 30 2008, 6:26 pm
Quote:

oh um, I'm in israel. otherwise I'd just drop it off if I were in bklyn. I remember it being a $1 there or s/t like that. here it is expensive and I don't even know where it is.

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Oct 30 2008, 6:50 pm
PinkandYellow wrote:
Quote:

oh um, I'm in israel. otherwise I'd just drop it off if I were in bklyn. I remember it being a $1 there or s/t like that. here it is expensive and I don't even know where it is.

right. so call and ask, rather than pay to have it checked. read them the label including the country of origin. they may tell you that no checking is necessary, in which case you've saved a trip and some money.

PinkandYellow

Post Thu, Oct 30 2008, 7:01 pm
do you by any chance have the number to the shatnez lab (in bklyn/ny)?

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Oct 30 2008, 7:03 pm
Shatnes Lab of Yeshivat Mikdash

1326 Ocean Pkwy
Brooklyn, NY 11230
(718) 998-9321‎

ShakleeMom

Post Thu, Oct 30 2008, 7:52 pm
I wish there would be an online database every season where you can check that new thing you bought… and compare if for any red flags. Feh.

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Oct 30 2008, 7:54 pm
http://home.comcast.net/~shatnez/alerts.html

this needs to be updated, but it's better than nothing. google it, maybe you'll find more recent alerts.

StrongIma

Post Fri, Oct 31 2008, 3:06 am
I would definitely have the skirt checked. A friend of mine who's dh checks says that every week he does find a garment that has sha'atnez - the problem has grown over the years again, with all the imports.
(When you bring the skirt, bring also the sweater and ask him there.)

TzenaRena

Post Fri, Oct 31 2008, 5:48 am
it costs more than $1 these days, but still way cheaper to check at the shaatnez lab than at the cleaners. (the checker comes either once or twice a week to the neighborhood cleaners here in CH). We take things to the lab in Williamsburg.

OP, they don't have accessible shaatnez labs in Israel in every frum area?

BTW, certain "wools" aren't sheep wool. Angora comes from a species of goat, however, you've still got regular wool on your label (lana).

from the STAM ( shatnez testers of America) website:
Quote:
When we speak of wool, we are only referring to wool obtained from sheep or lambs. Other materials, such as camel's hair, mohair, angora, cashmere or alpaca wool, present no shatnez problems. Similarly, linen refers only to fibers derived from the flax plant, whereas other bast fibers, such as ramie, hemp or jute, may be combined with wool.

devowitz

Post Fri, Oct 31 2008, 6:09 am
Hi OP,
I have list of testers in EY. What part EY do you live in? Post or PM and I'll give you the info.

Nicole

Post Fri, Oct 31 2008, 2:04 pm
mummiedearest wrote:

1326 Ocean Pkwy
Brooklyn, NY 11230
(718) 998-9321‎

I tried this number and a fax picked it up. Is it correct? I'm looking for a shaatnez hotline type thing to call and ask about a garment. Is this it?

mummiedearest

Post Sat, Nov 01 2008, 11:20 pm
Nicole wrote:
mummiedearest wrote:

1326 Ocean Pkwy
Brooklyn, NY 11230
(718) 998-9321‎

I tried this number and a fax picked it up. Is it correct? I'm looking for a shaatnez hotline type thing to call and ask about a garment. Is this it?

sorry, I got it off google. search for shatnez 11230, there should be other listings.

mamacita

Post Sun, Nov 02 2008, 5:31 am
I have my newcomers guide if you need shatnez labs in Israel, there are tons so if you PM me and tell me what area I can get you the contact info. Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions