Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Brown skirt question
1  2  Next

is it ok to wear brown with black?
No way!  
 26%  [ 9 ]
Yes  
 50%  [ 17 ]
You can get away with it in a pinch  
 20%  [ 7 ]
other  
 2%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 34

Aidelmom

Post Mon, Nov 03 2008, 7:58 am
I'm wondering what kind of socks/tights one should wear with a brown skirt especially in the winter. Does it clash to wear black? This is for a short skirt. (as opposed to long where I wouldn't care because the socks would barely show) I only own black shoes.

TIA

ETA: I"m assuming a black snood is ok..?

Last edited by Aidelmom on Wed, Nov 05 2008, 7:51 am; edited 2 times in total

Fabulous

Post Mon, Nov 03 2008, 8:01 am
If you only own black shoes, go with the black tights. It is not ideal, but better than brown tights with black shoes. It's worth it to invest in a cheap pair of brown shoes for the few brown outfits you will have over the years (the shoes will last if only worn occasionally). And if you have a lot of brown outfits, it's worth it to invest in a better quality brown shoe.

mamacita

Post Mon, Nov 03 2008, 8:04 am
I would only wear black tights with a brown skirt if I was wearing a shirt that incorporated black and brown together in the pattern. And even then . . .

I usually only wear them with brown, tan, or flesh tights and brown or tan shoes (depending on the shade of brown). The black shoes would look best if you paired them with tan or flesh tights.

BennysMommy

Post Mon, Nov 03 2008, 8:05 am
I usually only wear brown shoes and boots with brown skirts, but I have worn brown and black together. I think it was something like brown skirt and boots with black tights and shirt, brown wooden earrings, maybe black or brown tichel. I don't remember exactly but it worked. In general it's hard to pull together a combo like that.

Aidelmom

Post Mon, Nov 03 2008, 8:06 am
Thanks fabulous and mamacita.

So if I go with the tan tights - thats ok in the winter in Israel?

As far as brown shoes maybe if I happen to see a pair at a good price that I like I'll buy it which probably won't happen soon.

Aidelmom

Post Wed, Nov 05 2008, 7:52 am
I added a poll

Fabulous

Post Wed, Nov 05 2008, 7:54 am
Aidelmom wrote:
Thanks fabulous and mamacita.

So if I go with the tan tights - thats ok in the winter in Israel?

As far as brown shoes maybe if I happen to see a pair at a good price that I like I'll buy it which probably won't happen soon.

Tan tights are ok in the winter in E"Y because it's not as freezing as NY, and in NY, you still see people wearing it for the nicer looks. Are you looking for a brown pair of shoes?

Ruchel

Post Wed, Nov 05 2008, 7:54 am
My dad, a designer, told me years ago that yes, you can, if it looks good. It's a legend that they can't go together at all, ever.

flowerpower

Post Wed, Nov 05 2008, 7:55 am
Tan or brown tights goes better with black. Do you have brown shoes too?

Aidelmom

Post Wed, Nov 05 2008, 7:58 am
if its cheap why not? Im picky though (style and fit)

waterbottle

Post Wed, Nov 05 2008, 8:52 am
I have brown leggings and brown boots for my brown corduroy skirt. I think brown and black are a fashion mishap!

ShakleeMom

Post Wed, Nov 05 2008, 8:55 am
What about the jingle: Blue and green should never be seen, only in the washing machine.

mamacita

Post Wed, Nov 05 2008, 2:09 pm
Unless you hold by winter beige you'll be fine Smile

Personally I wear long skirts in the winter to hide my thick cotton tights or longjohns! hehe.

hipstamom

Post Fri, Nov 07 2008, 2:18 am
Black can be paired with any neutral color. Isn't black and tan a traditional pairing?

The only thing I wouldn't mess with is wearing navy and black together because personally it looks like you got dress in the dark.

Aidelmom

Post Sat, Nov 22 2008, 10:39 pm
ok so so far im wearing black because I find that since I don't really know people here I don't care what they think. Thanks for your input!!

btw mamacita I always liked your little hehes. they make me smile.

mamacita

Post Sun, Nov 23 2008, 1:32 am
Thanks aidelmom, you made me hehe out loud Smile

greenfire

Post Sun, Nov 23 2008, 7:12 am
funny enough just last night I had to convince dd that the brown skirt she was wearing did not go with the black shirt ... could be more about style than colour though ... I have seen black & brown mixed into one material - so I suppose you can work it - if you can work it ... black & tan is a classic as hipstamom pointed out ...

do we have to make a new forum for clashing amothers now ... if so I can join as I am wearing 2 different socks 1 argyle and 1 with hand prints ... Nervous

Aidelmom

Post Sun, Nov 23 2008, 7:14 am
Well I wouldn't wear a black shirt with a brown skirt - some how I feel that its different than socks

justanothermother

Post Sun, Nov 23 2008, 7:16 am

pretty Very Happy

greenfire

Post Sun, Nov 23 2008, 7:17 am
now we're talking ... nice outfit justanothermother Mr. Green
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics