Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Is there a way to handle this tactfully?

btMOMtoFFBs

Post Mon, Nov 03 2008, 2:29 pm
I drive a carload of kids to school with me and the oldest child rides up front with me in the front passenger seat. He is a very sweet boy and comes from a nice family. My problem is that he is probably starting puberty really smells sometimes.

I have run through it a hundred times in my brain and can not come up with a nice/tactful way to tell his mom that her son needs to shower more often or start using deoderant.

What do I do? Grin and bear it? I can and I have been, but it really is unpleasant sometimes.

Any tips from moms of preteens on what I can say or is it better to just deal with it to avoid embarassing anyone.

twokids

Post Mon, Nov 03 2008, 2:34 pm
tell her privately that he needs to bath more often. just say that you think she should be more aware of it as not to embaress him in school with his friends. good luck

Fox

Post Mon, Nov 03 2008, 2:38 pm
Maybe add some kind of personal anecdote to avoid making sound as if you think she's not attentive enough as a mother. If you have an older child, mention that you were also caught off-guard by this or mention that it happened when you were a kid, so you've always been more aware. I'd probably even make up something rather than give the impression that you're judging her mothering skills.

btMOMtoFFBs

Post Mon, Nov 03 2008, 3:11 pm
I appreciate the advice.

I am just too wimpy to say those things because I don't know if I can say it in a way that
is not hurtful or embarassing. Even what you suggested Fox. I fear being embarassed in front of the mother forever more....

Mimisinger

Post Mon, Nov 03 2008, 5:45 pm
Sorry, I used to work in a middle school and every day after gym my classroom smelled like a barn. I said to the entire class, you need to shower and get deoderant. I think it's a different matter regarding a specific child. It could be embarrassing. Def. do NOT say something to the child, def. say something to the mother if you must. Or, move him to the back!

mummiedearest

Post Mon, Nov 03 2008, 5:45 pm
I don;t know if you can handle it tactfully. how about getting a car freshener so you have something else to smell?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics