Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Who is moving if their candidate doesn't win?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

DefyGravity

Post Tue, Nov 04 2008, 11:23 am
SarahO. wrote:
Lady Godiva wrote:
People are full of hot air... or some other unmentionable bodily excretion. Nobody is moving anywhere. No matter who wins.

I'm sorry but I beg to differ. I know of one family in my town who has moved already and another about to walk out the door.

I doubt they actually moved because of the election. They were probably planning on moving beforehand and thought it sounded better to make such a dramatic statement.

ShakleeMom

Post Tue, Nov 04 2008, 11:29 am
Me, I’m moving into the hospital if Obama wins.

Mrs. XYZ

Post Tue, Nov 04 2008, 11:33 am
And I'm planning to move into a larger apartment if the next president manages to improve this stinky economy. Could I be part of your survey, clarissa?

HindaRochel

Post Tue, Nov 04 2008, 11:36 am
Mrs. XYZ wrote:
And I'm planning to move into a larger apartment if the next president manages to improve this stinky economy. Could I be part of your survey, clarissa?

You might want to change that to a smaller apartment as the economy in the states is likely to tank completely, especially under Obama. I've read posts by business people who are going to cut back on employees if he becomes president.

bebe3

Post Tue, Nov 04 2008, 11:43 am
I'm not sure about moving but I know plenty of doctors here who are planning on cutting back on hours to save money. One of our friends said he would be spending 65% of his income on taxes so it makes sense for him to work 6 months out of the year to earn a decent income.

supermama2

Post Tue, Nov 04 2008, 12:50 pm
DefyGravity wrote:
SarahO. wrote:
Lady Godiva wrote:
People are full of hot air... or some other unmentionable bodily excretion. Nobody is moving anywhere. No matter who wins.

I'm sorry but I beg to differ. I know of one family in my town who has moved already and another about to walk out the door.

I doubt they actually moved because of the election. They were probably planning on moving beforehand and thought it sounded better to make such a dramatic statement.

Rolling Laughter I'm sorry, I forget that imamothers know my friends better than I do...

supermama2

Post Tue, Nov 04 2008, 12:51 pm
ShakleeMom wrote:

Go shaklee go !!! Very Happy

Barbara

Post Tue, Nov 04 2008, 12:58 pm
HindaRochel wrote:
Mrs. XYZ wrote:

You might want to change that to a smaller apartment as the economy in the states is likely to tank completely, especially under Obama. I've read posts by business people who are going to cut back on employees if he becomes president.

The economy is tanking one way or the other. There's still a credit crisis. Credit card debt will be the next shoe to drop. Things are likely to look a lot worse before they start looking better. IMHO, the bailout was necessary to prevent a global depression, but its not a panacea. I'm not convinced either candidate has the answers. Actually, I'm not convinced *anyone* has the answers, least of all me. I did hear an interesting proposal about requiring banks to lease homes back to the homeowners from whom they've been foreclosed in order to shore up housing prices (which are going to plummet if there are still more foreclosures) and stabilize the economy. At the end of 5 years, the former homeowners would have the chance to buy back their homes (on what terms?) or would have to vacate. I thought that was an interesting idea. As for me, I'm just hoping to weather the strorm.

DefyGravity

Post Tue, Nov 04 2008, 1:01 pm
SarahO. wrote:
DefyGravity wrote:
SarahO. wrote:
Lady Godiva wrote:

Rolling Laughter I'm sorry, I forget that imamothers know my friends better than I do...

Well, if that's their one reason for moving, that's pretty silly.

supermama2

Post Tue, Nov 04 2008, 1:02 pm
I dunno.. to each his own..

Fox

Post Tue, Nov 04 2008, 1:35 pm
rb wrote:
Look, I voted for McCain, but all these doomsday predictions about Obama are really idiotic.

Couldn't have said it better! On one hand, I oppose Obama's capital gains tax proposals violently. On the other hand, I'm certainly ready for a few years of decent presidential speechmaking!

Even if you believe that Obama will try to implement some policy you find outrageous, he will receive congressional backing only until the constituents back home start howling, and then even his fellow Democrats will turn on him like last week's tuna salad. This is the system that has prevented a whole parade of presidents -- both Republican and Democrat -- from doing anything too stupid.

Barbara wrote:
I'm not convinced either candidate has the answers. Actually, I'm not convinced *anyone* has the answers, least of all me.

Thumbs Up With no offense intended to anyone who feels strongly about either presidential candidate, I'm always surprised that people somehow link presidential politics to the economy. If the economy was really everyone's biggest issue, I would expect them to feel passionately about Ben Bernanke and the membership of the Fed -- or at least force candidates to declare their intended Secretary of the Treasury.

The only real power the president has over the economy is that of appointing the right people to the Fed, et. al. -- and the short list of people with the kind of qualifications we're discussing is surprisingly non-partisan. Beyond that, the president can only make speeches and encourage everyone to do the right thing -- spend money, save money, whatever. So if the economy is really Americans' biggest concern, we can probably elect anyone who's not clinically insane and simply hire Martin Sheen to give the speeches. He did a very nice job on West Wing, after all.

chaylizi

Post Tue, Nov 04 2008, 1:46 pm
GAMZu wrote:
I don't think his bashert is such a good role model for night sleeping. LOL

so they're both night owls. we're all on the same page then...

chavamom

Post Tue, Nov 04 2008, 1:47 pm
bebe3 wrote:
I'm not sure about moving but I know plenty of doctors here who are planning on cutting back on hours to save money. One of our friends said he would be spending 65% of his income on taxes so it makes sense for him to work 6 months out of the year to earn a decent income.

Seeing as the highest tax bracket is 35%, I'm wondering about this MD's math. If you said "malpractice insurance" instead of taxes, I'd believe you.

cassandra

Post Tue, Nov 04 2008, 1:53 pm
chavamom wrote:
bebe3 wrote:

Seeing as the highest tax bracket is 35%, I'm wondering about this MD's math. If you said "malpractice insurance" instead of taxes, I'd believe you.

That's not true. You have to account for social security and medicare, state taxes (for two states if you work in one state and live in another), and city taxes. Plus property tax. 65% sounds high to me, but it's definitely more than 35%.

Seraph

Post Tue, Nov 04 2008, 2:54 pm
cassandra wrote:
chavamom wrote:
bebe3 wrote:

That's not true. You have to account for social security and medicare, state taxes (for two states if you work in one state and live in another), and city taxes. Plus property tax. 65% sounds high to me, but it's definitely more than 35%.
I know my father was paying 55% tax. state, two cities (worked in one, lived in the other), social security, medicare, federal... this is as a doctor. and of course, he had skyrocketing malpractice insurance on top of it all...

Mrs. XYZ

Post Wed, Nov 05 2008, 3:03 am
For those who are running away:

http://www.bhol.co.il/upload07.....a.jpg

justmom

Post Wed, Nov 05 2008, 5:04 am
Bubby, welcome to the neighborhood!! When is your aliyah flight landing-- we'll all come greet you.

Raisin

Post Wed, Nov 05 2008, 5:59 am
Fox wrote:
rb wrote:
Look, I voted for McCain, but all these doomsday predictions about Obama are really idiotic.

Couldn't have said it better! On one hand, I oppose Obama's capital gains tax proposals violently. On the other hand, I'm certainly ready for a few years of decent presidential speechmaking!

Even if you believe that Obama will try to implement some policy you find outrageous, he will receive congressional backing only until the constituents back home start howling, and then even his fellow Democrats will turn on him like last week's tuna salad. This is the system that has prevented a whole parade of presidents -- both Republican and Democrat -- from doing anything too stupid.

Barbara wrote:
I'm not convinced either candidate has the answers. Actually, I'm not convinced *anyone* has the answers, least of all me.

Thumbs Up With no offense intended to anyone who feels strongly about either presidential candidate, I'm always surprised that people somehow link presidential politics to the economy. If the economy was really everyone's biggest issue, I would expect them to feel passionately about Ben Bernanke and the membership of the Fed -- or at least force candidates to declare their intended Secretary of the Treasury.

The only real power the president has over the economy is that of appointing the right people to the Fed, et. al. -- and the short list of people with the kind of qualifications we're discussing is surprisingly non-partisan. Beyond that, the president can only make speeches and encourage everyone to do the right thing -- spend money, save money, whatever. So if the economy is really Americans' biggest concern, we can probably elect anyone who's not clinically insane and simply hire Martin Sheen to give the speeches. He did a very nice job on West Wing, after all.

of course he can make a difference. something like raising or lowering corporate taxes can have a huge effect on economies.

ShakleeMom

Post Wed, Nov 05 2008, 6:20 am
ShakleeMom wrote:

NOTHINGS MOVINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Mrs Bissli

Post Wed, Nov 05 2008, 7:04 am
Er... I think moving abroad won't help Americans as they have to pay income taxes on worldwide income anyway, no?
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics