Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Offshoot of "Do you feel invisible" thread
1  2  Next

Does online forum(s) popularity really portray who you are IRL?
yes  
 13%  [ 8 ]
no  
 47%  [ 29 ]
personality comes through  
 24%  [ 15 ]
intelligence comes through  
 14%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 61

happyone

Post Thu, Nov 06 2008, 6:47 am
On several threads lately, posters have voiced their feelings of being "ignored", unnoticed, and unacknowledged on imamother.

Do you feel that the same people that are popular on imamother are popular and well liked in real life?
In my opinion, online popularity has NOTHING to do with real life. There are those that are socially inept but can communicate beautifully with a computer as long as they don't have to face "real" people. There are also those very sociable, well liked individuals that just simply can't express themselves in writing and therefore come across as dull, or boring individuals. Intelligence comes through for the most part, but not always. I have a very intelligent friend here on imamother. (HI!!) irl, she's absolutely brilliant, professional, and very popular with loads of friends. I introduced her to imamother two years ago, and she just hasnt "made" it here. Her posts do get unnoticed and her posts don't come across as exciting or brilliant as others. Otoh, I've met ppl at meets or other places that came across as popular and intelligent online - and in person, shall I say, I never wouldve been able to carry a semi decent conversation with them. Just really dull, unintelligent etc...

So to those who do feel unnoticed, chill out, relax and don't take this online life so personal. Go out for coffee with your friends iRL and try to rejuvinate friendships in the real world. This IMO is not indication of who you really are.

Anyone agree??

Last edited by happyone on Thu, Nov 06 2008, 8:21 am; edited 1 time in total

shosh

Post Thu, Nov 06 2008, 6:52 am
I would tend to agree with you. And for what it's worth, I've met some nice pple through this site IRL, but even if I'm not noticed or reacted to every time I post I still feel I've made a lot of friends by just being part of this site.

Clarissa

Post Thu, Nov 06 2008, 8:14 am
Not to get nitpicky, but the poll options don't work for me. If you click yes or no, that doesn't mean that you want to do so to the exclusion of the one or both of the options on the bottom. Maybe it's just too complex a question to work as a poll?

Also, some of us are very different in some social situations than others. Shy in one, outgoing in the other. Socially phobic yet quite adept in certain settings. Able to show intelligence with certain people, but come off like a babbling idiot with others. I could go on, but you get my drift.

supermama2

Post Thu, Nov 06 2008, 8:22 am
I can't answer this poll either. I'd say a little of my personality comes out..my intelligence? Ummm I can't say lol I shoot from the hip here sometimes and end up w/ my foot in my mouth where as in the "real world" I would keep my mouth shut LOL

I can say there are several posters I'd like to have coffee with and talk. Too bad I'm not on the East Coast or Israel. But if anyone is visiting AZ, give me a call Very Happy

But if you are a man, watch out...we have conceal and carry laws in the west LOL

shosh

Post Thu, Nov 06 2008, 8:25 am
Arizona? I got a stepcousin living there. Nice Jewish girl who works at the Red Indians Museum ...

morkush

Post Thu, Nov 06 2008, 8:43 am
IRL, I am much more spontaneous, so I will say much more than I do online. Here, I think lots of times before I will actually write anything. Like is what I'm going to say useful? Has anyone else already said it? Does it help OP?
So I guess here I come across quite, and since I feel rarely noticed I don't usually reply. Not sure what made me post here, though LOL

mamacita

Post Thu, Nov 06 2008, 8:50 am
Funny enough, I find it easier to keep in touch and meet up with my LifeInIsrael ladies than my other friends. Of course outside of our little Israeli bubble, I do notice my posts get ignored sometimes and I like to think I'm a lot funnier in person than on here. Although I would love to have emoticons IRL, something more official than rolling my own eyes or making my own goofy grin would be cool! Smile

Ruchel

Post Thu, Nov 06 2008, 9:00 am
Sometimes people are like they seem. In (very) good or (really) bad.

Sometimes they're different.

Interesting thread Smile

TheBeinoni

Post Thu, Nov 06 2008, 9:04 am
It's an interesting question because for some, it is HERE that their personality/intelligence can really shine through more so than in real life. For others, it is just simply another outlet for that.

bebe3

Post Thu, Nov 06 2008, 10:06 am
What about the fact that we can sit around and talk like adults after talking with kids most of the day? For me it's an outlet, I am able to voice frustration and it is also a window to the world. We can all learn from other peoples posts. But, I don't think this answered OP's question.

ShakleeMom

Post Thu, Nov 06 2008, 10:22 am
this is not a popularity contest. if you dont have much to say, nobody will notice you!

Lady Godiva

Post Thu, Nov 06 2008, 10:48 am
I voted intelligence only because I think the opposite, being the lack of intelligence sometimes shines through in an online persona. I don't think popularity in an online forum directly correlates to popularity in real life but I do think sometimes nasty and rude personalities come through. Confusing. I know.

Beauty and the Beast

Post Thu, Nov 06 2008, 12:07 pm
(ppl can be nasty online cuz they think they can get away with it, and continue to be mrs. nice guy IRL. )

I have a problem expressing myself online, and in person. I speak spontaniously IRL, but here I can think before I speak but still have trouble trying to get my point across, which is why I hardly ever debate a topic, even tho I would have lots to say..

MrsLeo

Post Thu, Nov 06 2008, 12:10 pm
I can be pretty shy in real life but online I'm not at all (at least I dont think so)

cookielady

Post Thu, Nov 06 2008, 12:21 pm
I'm in trouble, Here I usually post first, think later. IRL I am more careful about what comes out of my mouth.

Isramom8

Post Thu, Nov 06 2008, 12:23 pm
What I write here reflects who I am. I'm not a fake.

Beauty and the Beast

Post Thu, Nov 06 2008, 7:52 pm
Isramom8 wrote:
What I write here reflects who I am. I'm not a fake.

fake has nothing to do with it...

Atali

Post Thu, Nov 06 2008, 8:09 pm
MrsLeo wrote:
I can be pretty shy in real life but online I'm not at all (at least I dont think so)

Same here

NativeMom

Post Thu, Nov 06 2008, 8:29 pm
I'm shy IRL and occasionally on Imamother. At times I feel I don't ever say anything intelligent. I've noticed that I have a hard time expressing myself on this site (just as much in real life) and to be honest I think a lot of my posts are "dismissed" for this reason-this is how I feel at times.

bebe3

Post Thu, Nov 06 2008, 8:46 pm
I notice you native mom, I always think of Pocahontas when I see your avatar and name.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics