Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
My pepper steak is a piece of rubber.

Beauty and the Beast

Post Tue, Nov 11 2008, 5:53 pm
I dunno what to do! I made delicious pepper steak with a ton of veggies and marinated it, but the meat is so rubbery that I declared it unedible. my dh knows if I actually made that claim then its serious! what would make it this way? the cut of meat? the way I made it? what's to blame? and is there any way to turn rubber into something chewable?? thanks!

dillie

Post Tue, Nov 11 2008, 6:03 pm
How long did you cook it? I cook mine for hours, sometimes in the crockpot, and it's delicious. Less time and it's way too chewy.

Beauty and the Beast

Post Tue, Nov 11 2008, 6:04 pm
I fried it in the pan for a few minutes on each side, then cooked it in the sauce with the veggies for around a half hour..

dillie

Post Tue, Nov 11 2008, 6:06 pm
What was the meat labeled? if it was skirt steak or 'stir-fry meat,' that should be okay. If it was beef-stew meat- anything from a 'muscled ' area- it really needs long slow cooking.
You might be able to rescue it by cooking it longer, and serving it tomorrow! But there's no fast fix.

PIP

Post Tue, Nov 11 2008, 6:06 pm
Was it fully defrosted when you cooked it? That may do it.
I always boil my minute steak as long as I can, it comes out soo much softer that way.

Beauty and the Beast

Post Tue, Nov 11 2008, 6:08 pm
it was fully defrosted. It was called pepper steak. the thin long strips of meat.. I am so upset.. should I cook it more? throw it in the oven?? heeeelp! dh is hungry~!

DefyGravity

Post Tue, Nov 11 2008, 6:11 pm
Some meat needs to be pounded in order to be tender. I also have the same problem with pepper steak, and I'm sure it's because I don't pound it or use meat tenderizer on it.

itsme

Post Tue, Nov 11 2008, 6:12 pm
I make pepper steak too. your only allowed to fry as long as it gets this tan color. and turn it over and do the other sid 1 2 3 not any longer. if it gets to stay longer it gets rubbery

Beauty and the Beast

Post Tue, Nov 11 2008, 6:15 pm
aww shoots. so my dinner is ruined , I guess. Thanks peeps.
( this is prob the one time it was ruined since I am married, so I think dh will forgive me Wink )

bbmom

Post Tue, Nov 11 2008, 6:30 pm
I've had this prob before. How DO you cook pepper steaks so that they don't come out rubbery?

yersp

Post Tue, Nov 11 2008, 9:37 pm
I've tried a few different ways until my friend told me her recipe and that solved the problem:

TOMATO SAUCE!!

1-2 cans 8 oz tomato sauce (for the same price you can use one 15 oz can)
Pepper steak
1 sm onion sliced

cook for an hour and add in the following:
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 capfuls of soy sauce
garlic & black pepper to taste

Continue cooking as long as you like.

It's delicious!! I usually serve it over potatoes. My kids arent really into eating meat besides meatballs, this they love!!

bbmom

Post Tue, Nov 11 2008, 9:39 pm
Cook on the stove? In the oven? High or Low flame/temp?

BlumaG

Post Tue, Nov 11 2008, 10:00 pm
dont throw it out yet - add some water to it and bake covered for 1 1/2 see how it turns out - mine turns out really tender htat way

yersp

Post Wed, Nov 12 2008, 10:03 am
sorry!! didnt add the most important part of the recipe! thanks bbmom for the reminder!!
You're supposed to cook the meat on low flame for one hour and continue cooking on a low flame until youre ready to serve. (or I cook it in the morning and then rewarm it when im ready to serve it)

Beauty and the Beast

Post Wed, Nov 12 2008, 10:46 am
sounds gr8, thanks so much!

lostIma

Post Mon, Dec 01 2008, 10:23 am
Anyone know a good peppersteak recipe in the crock pot with rice???

bbmom

Post Mon, Dec 01 2008, 5:38 pm
Buhlight wrote:
sorry!! didnt add the most important part of the recipe! thanks bbmom for the reminder!!
You're supposed to cook the meat on low flame for one hour and continue cooking on a low flame until youre ready to serve. (or I cook it in the morning and then rewarm it when im ready to serve it)

Trying this tonight - I'll let you know how it turns out.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics