Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
WWYD if you got this letter in the mail?
1  2  Next

sporty

Post Sun, Nov 16 2008, 9:18 am
I should start by saying that DH and I just moved to a new house right before the chagim.

A few weeks ago a letter comes. The envelope just had our address and no return addy or any name on it. I open it and it says dear Mr. and Mrs. (and then no name)
It's handwritten. It goes on to say that the person has tried the number a few times but it's out of service and then it asks about money we owe for a treatment and it's signed "James" with a phone number.

I threw the first one out.

Then another came yesterday, same paper, same pen....this time it said that on top of calling "I've also mailed you a few letters. I'm lined up to come out to you next week. This application will cap off the prior visits for this year. Please call me ASAP before this treatment is done next week."

Signed James and a phone number.

I am pretty scared. I am home a lot by myself and this person obviously has my address. What should I do? Now every noise is scaring me!!!

daamom

Post Sun, Nov 16 2008, 9:20 am
Is there a phone number you can call to ask what this is all about?

square_peg

Post Sun, Nov 16 2008, 9:21 am
So, call the number.. maybe he has the wrong address for somebody...

yo'ma

Post Sun, Nov 16 2008, 9:22 am
It's probably for the people who lived there before you. Why don't you or get someone else to call and find out what it's about? If it gets scary, bring it to a police station and show it to them.

sporty

Post Sun, Nov 16 2008, 9:23 am
Ok - it's just so suspicious but I guess I can call him. I don't want him to have my number off caller ID but my sister is unlisted maybe I will call from her house then. I just am hesitant bc the letter isn't addressed to anyone so it doesn't seem legit. And it's on yellow lined paper with a black marker.

BeershevaBubby

Post Sun, Nov 16 2008, 9:31 am
Call from a payphone?

BTW, if he has your address, he can easily get your phone number.

BennysMommy

Post Sun, Nov 16 2008, 9:34 am
You can block your number by pressing *67 before dialing the number.

sporty

Post Sun, Nov 16 2008, 9:41 am
I think my DH is going to bring the letter to our local police station and let them handle it....I dont know what they will do but maybe they will call the number and see what the situation is.

greenfire

Post Sun, Nov 16 2008, 10:17 am
call the number (making sure to block yours) and tell them the people moved and you are NOT carrying on whatever treatment he is has been doing - so he should stop sending letters ... that is odd that the name is blank ...

sporty

Post Sun, Nov 16 2008, 10:18 am
Just to update, I blocked my # and called the # on the letter first. It was a company - National Earth Center or something like that. It said if you know the person you want to reach enter their first three letters of the first name so I typed JAM and it said there is nobody here with that name. So I got the company directory and went through each name and there was no James.

In the kitchen

Post Sun, Nov 16 2008, 10:31 am
your dh should still go to the police station with it I think...the whole thing is very fishy.

sporty

Post Sun, Nov 16 2008, 10:37 am
He's on the way with it to the police right now, actually. Thanks. I'll let everyone know what happens! For now, alarm on and door locked...but will be nervous all week for sure.

sporty

Post Sun, Nov 16 2008, 10:58 am
Police werent helpful at all - they said call them if anyone comes to the house and they will come over.
Thanks!!!!

Besiyata Dishmaya

Post Sun, Nov 16 2008, 11:18 am
Call the director of that company but not from your phone or block it before calling.

Mini Cookie

Post Sun, Nov 16 2008, 11:38 am
no return address on the outside envelope??

can you tell which zip code it was mailed from??

NativeMom

Post Sun, Nov 16 2008, 11:42 am
wow that is strange. Block your number and call this guy, or have your DH do it.

sporty

Post Sun, Nov 16 2008, 11:51 am
We called - he's not listed in the company directory. Unless James is Greg?

There is no return address on the envelope and I can't tell where it came from - I will look again. The number for the company is a ny (long island) number.

greenfire

Post Sun, Nov 16 2008, 12:35 pm
well it's only a crime to send a letter if you can prove mail fraud or some money scamming business ... none of which this particular letter sounds like it has done so far ... now they cannot charge you for a service to a name they have no idea about ... just ignore them ...

Marion

Post Sun, Nov 16 2008, 1:38 pm
I'm sorry you're feeling threatened. But the police really can't do anything about it. It's not a crime to send a letter saying there's an outstanding payment due. He could have a wrong address, especially since the letter itself was missing a name. It could even just be an old blank form.

sporty

Post Sun, Nov 16 2008, 5:15 pm
Do you know what the police said?!
They said to DH "maybe your wife has a secret boyfriend she's not telling you about and the letter is from him."
That's disgusting but also amusing!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics