Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Need healthier cholent recipe!

MommyLuv

Post Sat, Jan 14 2006, 9:35 pm
I finally started making cholent again-but I am disappointed with the taste.
Whenever I taste a really yummy cholent at my friends' Shabbos tables its inevitably made with onion soup mix. I'm very health minded and prefer not to use soup mixes, due to MSG, sodium etc content...
anyone make a great cholent without this ingredient?? Please share your secrets...Wink
Thanks!!

realeez

Post Sun, Jan 15 2006, 2:02 am
I used ketchup and VH plum sauce.
also, where I live there is an msg free onion soup mix available.

sarahd

Post Sun, Jan 15 2006, 2:11 am
I use ketchup, salt, pepper and paprika. I also saute the onions and brown the meat before adding the rest of the ingredients.

supermom

Post Sun, Jan 15 2006, 3:29 am
I do like sarahd but also saute garlic. I also add a pinch of nutmeg, and cloves.

I never heard of using onion soup mix before this is something new Confused

willow

Post Sun, Jan 15 2006, 4:09 am
Never heard of making chulent with onion soup mix before, but I with you for a healthier way of making food.
My husband makes the chulent. He always does it differerntly and it's really good. Some of the things he has put in is
beer, wine, bourban or vodka ( yeah always some alchol and it burns out anyway) lots of spices and fresh garlic. Sometimes honey, or ketchup/barbeque sauce. Really I do not think you can't mess it up. I have a friend that puts in baked beans from a can. And my husband friend has put in soysauce once and another time peanut butter!!!!!!!
So I guess anything goes.

DesignMommy

Post Mon, Jan 16 2006, 10:43 am
I make Cholent with barley, potatoes, onion, carrots and meat, and use ketchup, salt, garlic powder, pepper, and paprika to spice it. It is delicious! The carrots actually add a lot of flavor, and leaving out the beans is easier on our stomachs!

shoshana

Post Mon, Jan 16 2006, 11:05 am
I'm like you, also don't like to use MSG. In addition to all the spices mentioned above, my "secret" is chilli powder!

deedee

Post Mon, Jan 16 2006, 11:39 am
marrow bones make our chulent super yummy. maybe uan use plain onion powder instead of the soup mix.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus