Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Why do you use formula
1  2  3  4  Next

Why do you give formula?
cannot physically nurse for a medical reason  
 10%  [ 9 ]
cannot physically produce a decent supply after trying everything  
 12%  [ 11 ]
would love to nurse but find it too emotionally/physically draining and prefer to invest my energies into other areas of parenting  
 10%  [ 9 ]
do not beleive that there is much benefit to breastfeeding and formula is a perfecly valid alternative  
 1%  [ 1 ]
never managed to establish nusing properly and/or did not get enough support  
 6%  [ 6 ]
do not have the time (working mom) to invest in keeping up a supply  
 5%  [ 5 ]
other  
 12%  [ 11 ]
I do not use formula  
 42%  [ 38 ]
Total Votes : 90

greentiger

Post Thu, Nov 27 2008, 1:07 pm
I have been curious about this for a long time. It seems to me that many mothers claim they don't give formula out of conveince but necesity, yet often the pro-breastfeeding don't buy this as an excuse.

I am curious if anyone who uses formula can share their reasons for choosing it.

MrsLeo

Post Thu, Nov 27 2008, 1:17 pm
I voted "Other". With my first I was convinced to take some supplements to nurse clean but it didnt work and it was too expensive to just keep taking so I stopped taking it and really decreased my milk supply so at 3 months my daughter insisted on a bottle and that was the end of that.
Now with my second she is gonna be 4 months and I am still nursing. She gets formula maybe about once a month or less (depending on the situation). I may have to stop nursing and go on the pill now for medical reasons but if I had a choice I would continue nursing, just cuz its easier than making bottles.

Atali

Post Thu, Nov 27 2008, 2:08 pm
This time it is do to a medication issue, previous times it was due to supply problems.

I can't say that I did everything possible to increase my supply, but I did what was practical.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Nov 27 2008, 2:18 pm
The doctors insisted on it, saying I was too exhausted. I increased the formula/nursing ratio until my supply went away.

Do I regret it? No, I had the right to a decent level of energy. I also think nowadays formula is really good, so no woman should feel bad for not nursing if she tried and for whatever reason it's not for her. Now again, that's my culture.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Nov 27 2008, 2:23 pm
my baby was premie and so she was in the hospital for longer than I was there. I pumped only as much as I was able to but other than that, when I was not there she got bottles of formula.
she was in the hospital for just long enough that when we finally brought her home, she was so used to the bottle eating (it was easier than breastfeeding - I tried for a while) that that was all she would take.
I actually did feel terrible in the beginning but the doctors (and some wonderful friends) kept on reminding me that the most important thing is that your baby grow and gain weight and if it is too much for her and you to breastfeed, go with the formula and go from there. and we did.

cassandra

Post Thu, Nov 27 2008, 2:27 pm
You forgot an option for "I'm a really selfish person and I don't really care about what's best for my baby" Wink

greentiger

Post Thu, Nov 27 2008, 2:32 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
my baby was premie and so she was in the hospital for longer than I was there. I pumped only as much as I was able to but other than that, when I was not there she got bottles of formula.
she was in the hospital for just long enough that when we finally brought her home, she was so used to the bottle eating (it was easier than breastfeeding - I tried for a while) that that was all she would take.
I actually did feel terrible in the beginning but the doctors (and some wonderful friends) kept on reminding me that the most important thing is that your baby grow and gain weight and if it is too much for her and you to breastfeed, go with the formula and go from there. and we did.

I put the "never established nursing" option with preemies in mind.

greentiger

Post Thu, Nov 27 2008, 2:32 pm
cassandra wrote:
You forgot an option for "I'm a really selfish person and I don't really care about what's best for my baby" Wink

Can I add that now without losing the results so far?

greentiger

Post Thu, Nov 27 2008, 2:34 pm
Atali wrote:
This time it is do to a medication issue, previous times it was due to supply problems.

I can't say that I did everything possible to increase my supply, but I did what was practical.

"do not have the time to invest in keeping up a supply"...?

Raisin

Post Thu, Nov 27 2008, 2:38 pm
you also forgot to add - pregnant so can't nurse anymore. I had to put one of my kids on formula at about 9 months for that reason. She stopped gaining weight when I got pregnant.

Or how about: if I give formula I can go out with my husband without having to worry about the baby. (I'm not joking, someone put that as one of the pros of formula feeding in another thread)

greentiger

Post Thu, Nov 27 2008, 2:45 pm
Raisin wrote:
you also forgot to add - pregnant so can't nurse anymore. I had to put one of my kids on formula at about 9 months for that reason. She stopped gaining weight when I got pregnant.

Or how about: if I give formula I can go out with my husband without having to worry about the baby. (I'm not joking, someone put that as one of the pros of formula feeding in another thread)

Pregnant and not able I would consider not physically able to nurse. If her body cannot produce enough milk for nursing becuase she is pregnant then it also fits in that category. I am not going to come up with every scenario that comes up. I just put down the basic reasons and everyone should try to find where she fits in best.

About the second point, hmmm... I guess that would be that you feel it is a valid alternative.

Mrs. XYZ

Post Thu, Nov 27 2008, 2:49 pm
Quote:

Well if that is their primary reason for giving formula, then I guess that would go under cassandras option.
But for most people that is just an added bonus.

canadamom

Post Thu, Nov 27 2008, 2:50 pm
I picked other because I nurse my baby when I'm home, but I hate pumping and while I'm at work the babysitter gives the baby a bottle of formula. I still feel like I'm nursing most of the time but it gives me the freedom if I need to go out to work or at night to a function I know my baby will take formula.

greentiger

Post Thu, Nov 27 2008, 2:51 pm
(can I add an option into the poll now without messing it up?)

Mrs. XYZ

Post Thu, Nov 27 2008, 2:54 pm
greentiger wrote:
(can I add an option into the poll now without messing it up?)

Try it. Why should it mess up?

drumjj

Post Thu, Nov 27 2008, 2:58 pm
I gave formula bc she was hungry and then I stopped nursing bc it seemed whatever I did she still took a bottle. but I also find it alot less mentally stressful for me.

greentiger

Post Thu, Nov 27 2008, 2:58 pm
I can't add an option anymore. Maybe a mod can. I want to add "conveince" as an option. I forgot that one and it is another choice that I am sure many end up using formula for.

Marion

Post Thu, Nov 27 2008, 3:04 pm
Different answers for different kids.

With DS#1 I sabotaged myself and supply couldn't keep up with demand beyond a certain point.

However knowing that, DS#2 has not had any formula.

dimples

Post Thu, Nov 27 2008, 3:32 pm
I tried to nurse ds, but I was very weak after the birth, very long story. nursing was a huge pressure for me both mentally and physically. I remember contemplating about switching to formula, I felt like such a rotten mother, but it was nursing that sapped a lot of my energy. when I made the decision to bottle feed, yeah, it bothered me, but not for long, because there was a huge change in me, and I was able to take care of ds w/o dh running home from work all the time. I have tons of respect for all those that nurse exclusively, but there are situations where it is not meant to be. and people that DO nurse should understand that for many, formula was not the first choice

YALT

Post Thu, Nov 27 2008, 4:08 pm
Raisin wrote:

I wrote that. It was in a thread, where a mother wanted to be comforted that it's OK to bottlefeed. It is a bonus. I don't think anyone (in their right mind) would change to formula for that reason. But it a bonus.
Someone said that to me when I couldn't nurse DS.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics