Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Formula for supplementation
1  2  Next

amother

Post Tue, Dec 09 2008, 7:20 pm
Hi. I'm due to give birth very soon. I"YH, I plan to nurse, but I know that I will need to supplement a bit at night with a formula. Which is a good formula to use, one that causes the least problems? Especially, in the hospital, I don't know which one to tell the nursery to use.

shoy18

Post Tue, Dec 09 2008, 7:32 pm
amother wrote:
Hi. I'm due to give birth very soon. I"YH, I plan to nurse, but I know that I will need to supplement a bit at night with a formula. Which is a good formula to use, one that causes the least problems? Especially, in the hospital, I don't know which one to tell the nursery to use.

as far as I know you don't really get a choice in the hospital, unless medically necessary, they either give enfamil or simalac whichever company is sponsoring that month. Whatever they give the baby in the hospital granted it isn't bothering your baby, and you don't keep cholav yisroel, just keep the baby on whatever the hospital gives.

Leah254

Post Tue, Dec 09 2008, 7:37 pm
Why do you have to give formula in the hospital? They brought my baby to me every three hours to nurse.

Raisin

Post Tue, Dec 09 2008, 7:42 pm
there is no need to supplement at all. Unless you know already (how?) that you will not have enough milk. And if you want to nurse, giving bottles the first few days can sabotage that.

(why do you think the formula companies give free formula to the hospital?????)

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Dec 09 2008, 8:40 pm
most new york hospitals have the cholov yisroel similac. Since I am makpid on CY I was happy they had it.

In my case, the first 12 hours after my baby was born I was so woozy and weak and in pain I didnt want to look at my baby, let alone hold him or nurse him. Then the first 24 hours I tried and tried and couldnt get him to latch. I also wanted to sleep at night. So I had them give him CY Similac. and it didnt affect his ability to nurse at all, BH. I'm not convinced AT ALL that giving formula in the hospital ruins nursing. My sister did it with five kids and my friends with seven and they all nursed successfully until they were pregnant with the next kid!

mimsy7420

Post Tue, Dec 09 2008, 10:04 pm
If you want to have any sort of milk supply you shouldn't start off supplementing.

chavamom

Post Tue, Dec 09 2008, 10:12 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
most new york hospitals have the cholov yisroel similac. Since I am makpid on CY I was happy they had it.

In my case, the first 12 hours after my baby was born I was so woozy and weak and in pain I didnt want to look at my baby, let alone hold him or nurse him. Then the first 24 hours I tried and tried and couldnt get him to latch. I also wanted to sleep at night. So I had them give him CY Similac. and it didnt affect his ability to nurse at all, BH. I'm not convinced AT ALL that giving formula in the hospital ruins nursing. My sister did it with five kids and my friends with seven and they all nursed successfully until they were pregnant with the next kid!

That is sort of like saying "I know someone who never crossed at the light and she never got hit by a truck. In fact *I* never cross at the light and *I'm* fine. So therefore I'm not convinced it's safer to cross in the crosswalk AT ALL."

Sure, some people pull this off fine. But some don't (like my SIL who could never get her baby to latch on to the breast once she had a bottle) and there is no crystal ball to predict who will and who won't have problems.

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Dec 09 2008, 10:20 pm
mimsy7420 wrote:
If you want to have any sort of milk supply you shouldn't start off supplementing.
That myth - again. Read above what I wrote.

and YES, I supplemented the first while; my baby got a formula bottle at 2 a.m. while I slept, and I pumped 4 oz per side - my supply wasnt affected AT ALL.

I still maintain that a new mother needs her sleep desperately and supplementing isnt the end of the world. as I said, my best friend did it with 7 kids and my sister with 5. and no one struggled at all with nursing.

RichWithNachas

Post Tue, Dec 09 2008, 10:22 pm
with one of ny children, the had very low blood sugar and gave them supplementation without my permission. I had prewarned them about cholov yisroel, and still they gave the wrong formula.
Next time around, I put a sign on the cradle of crib- "only Nursing. If necessary only similac C"Y.
It worked B"H.

chavamom

Post Tue, Dec 09 2008, 11:07 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
mimsy7420 wrote:

It's not a myth. You just didn't have problems with it. There is a saying when talking about research - "the plural of anecdote is not data" - in other words, you cannot extrapolate from your experience to make a sweeping statement like that.

Raisin

Post Wed, Dec 10 2008, 5:37 am
Mama Bear wrote:
mimsy7420 wrote:

and YES, I supplemented the first while; my baby got a formula bottle at 2 a.m. while I slept, and I pumped 4 oz per side - my supply wasnt affected AT ALL.

I still maintain that a new mother needs her sleep desperately and supplementing isnt the end of the world. as I said, my best friend did it with 7 kids and my sister with 5. and no one struggled at all with nursing.

a couple of mothers have posted how they are not able to sleep during the day because of visitors, so they have to bottle feed the baby at night. well, so don't have any vistors! Or limit them! Sleep during the day. there will be plenty of time for visitors later. My hospital has very strict visiting hours for this reason. (apart from husband)

Marion

Post Wed, Dec 10 2008, 5:46 am
Mama Bear, if you had to get up to pump, so you could supplement at night, what was the point? My kids nurse faster than my pump works, so if I have to get up anyway I'd rather nurse.

mimsy7420

Post Wed, Dec 10 2008, 8:35 am
You pumped also, that might have something to do with why you had a good supply. But for there to be no stimulation for 8 hours at night right from the beginning? I don't see how you will ever have a good supply.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Dec 10 2008, 8:58 am
amother wrote:
if you are in israel, the hospitals have materna sensitive for the newborns.
I think it was a good formula. they give it to premies in the NICU here.

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Dec 10 2008, 10:28 am
I didnt get up to pump. I pumped before I went to sleep for the night, because I was so full.

By saying it's a myth, I meant to say it's a myth that whoever supplements will have a low milk supply. It's not always true!

I couldnt sleep during the day because my ROOMMATE had visitors all day!!!

ShakleeMom

Post Wed, Dec 10 2008, 11:28 am
Urgggggggggggggg I ate the comments on this thread, they make my non-existent milk boil! Amother, just let the hospital give the CY formula, and switch to anything you want when you’re ready. I just switched dd to maternal stage 1 at 4 weeks old. So far so good B’H except she poops in neon yellow which is freaky.

chavamom

Post Wed, Dec 10 2008, 11:49 am
So the only correct post in your opinion is one that says "go for it" with no info about possible repercussions? What if someone doesn't know, but believes their SIL who says "don't you worry about it - it never caused ME a problem"? Or never heard otherwise?

ShakleeMom

Post Wed, Dec 10 2008, 11:57 am
You’re so funny, there are guidelines. Baby should thrive, gain half a pound a week, and be satisfied. If not, it may be an issue with the milk supply. The pediatricians’ job is to work with the mother and encourage her to breastfeed, and supplement if needed. Amother, for the hospital, the first two daysa… your baby will get very good car in the nursery. If they see a baby is unhappy, they will chat with you about it.

amother

Post Wed, Dec 10 2008, 12:05 pm
HI, I'm the OP here. Thanksk for your replies.
Actually, this is not my first baby, so I know just from my own experiences, that :
1. I am VERY weak after birth and have major difficultly sleeping, so a little bread at night at the beginning I really do need.
2. The little supplementaion never affected my babies' ability to nurse, B"H.

THe thing is, my last two babies were allergic to milk, so giving Similac is not really recommended by my doctor. As far as soy formula goes, I've had some problems with that with two babies, so I'm wondering which formula is least problematic.
(My pediatrician is not forthcoming so I'm posing this question to you smart, experienced ladies.)

mimsy7420

Post Wed, Dec 10 2008, 12:06 pm
I think if you want to nurse and have a good supply you can't be laissez faire about it. It really is hard in the beginning and doesn't go easily for most people. I think supplementing those critical first few weeks at night and not nursing at all during the night - is setting yourself up to fail and not have a good supply. That might not bother some people but if you are committed to nursing then thats not the way to go about it. If you aren't so committed to nursing, then thats your choice and thats not up for discussion here. I think you should just be armed with all facts and then make your choice.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics