Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
At the weekend or on the weekend
1  2  Next

yo'ma

Post Tue, Dec 16 2008, 8:33 am
Which one is it? I always thought it was, on the weekend, but I just saw on an esl page, at the weekend.

Marion

Post Tue, Dec 16 2008, 8:34 am
On the weekend, or over the weekend. At the weekend doesn't mean anything, although it could just be a poor translation.

Tamiri

Post Tue, Dec 16 2008, 8:37 am
wait wait wait. before anyone makes a decision, unless you are an expert: there are differences in English English/American English/Canadian English/Indian English
I got into a big argument with a teacher in 6th grade a few weeks after I made Aliya. Oh, now I can't remember what it was but turns out it was British, and correct.

Marion

Post Tue, Dec 16 2008, 8:43 am
I'm Canadian, my MIL is American, and DH is British. I've never heard of "at" the weekend, although I've heard of getting "on" and "off" of the table.

Tamiri

Post Tue, Dec 16 2008, 8:45 am
How about laying the table :shock:

yo'ma

Post Tue, Dec 16 2008, 8:47 am
Marion wrote:
I'm Canadian, my MIL is American, and DH is British. I've never heard of "at" the weekend, although I've heard of getting "on" and "off" of the table.

On and off the table Confused I just said it yesterday. My ds told me that his brother is on the table, so I told him to tell his brother to get off the table. Does it have another meaning?

Marion

Post Tue, Dec 16 2008, 10:22 am
To be "on" the table is to be "at" the table, and to get "off" is to leave it. Yes, there's also the laying of the table (gets me every time...I've learned to control myself).

Isramom8

Post Tue, Dec 16 2008, 10:25 am
over the weekend
I like during the weekend

Maybe we're used to on the weekend because it sounds like on Shabbos

Is it on the computer or at the computer?

su7kids

Post Tue, Dec 16 2008, 10:28 am
WE always lay the table and lay the bed -- its British English. We also set the table and set the bed. Never heard of ON the table, unless you're about 18 months old and like to climb.

At the computer and on the computer could mean two different things.

I have a computer in my office and I can be AT my computer but not ON my computer. In otherwords, I could be sitting at the computer desk (next to) but on the computer means I'm using it.

There is nothing that makes sense about "at the weekend" though.

I did hear something strange to my hear, when I heard one of our presidents day "in behalf of". I was always taught "on behalf of".

yo'ma

Post Tue, Dec 16 2008, 10:29 am
Isramom8 wrote:
Is it on the computer or at the computer?

Whenever my kids say they're on the computer, I ask, did you break it? LOL

drumjj

Post Tue, Dec 16 2008, 10:33 am
we say on the computer never on the table or off the table u say sit at the table. and its over the weekend not at the weekend. - im english.

red sea

Post Tue, Dec 16 2008, 10:37 am
usually over or sometimes in certain contexts during, I have never heard at - I think at belongs with a location.

Last edited by red sea on Tue, Dec 16 2008, 10:38 am; edited 1 time in total

greenfire

Post Tue, Dec 16 2008, 10:38 am
well it's not "in" the weekend ... Scratching Head

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Dec 16 2008, 11:07 am
on the weekend or over the weekend refer to weekend as a time slot. at the weekend would refer to something like a weekend getaway or retreat. more like a specific event.

computer- on the computer would be correct if the speaker refers to working/playing on the computer. at the computer is correct if the speaker refers to sitting.

zaq

Post Tue, Dec 16 2008, 11:51 am
"at the weekend" would have been something I would have said about something that happened during a weekend event, what would nowadays be called a shabbaton but what we called "Weekends". as in, "are you going to the Shavuos Weekend at Columbia? I went to the Chanuka Weekend and had a blast" So then we might have said "They met at a Columbia Weekend (meaning a certain event that took place on a weekend at Columbia) and got engaged a month later.

"at the weekend" makes no sense unless "weekend" is being used as an adjective, as in "At the weekend staff meeting, Mrs. Goldfine announced next year's productivity quotas." weekend in this case modifying staff meeting, and the announcement being made at the staff meeting, not "at the weekend" (shudder).

drumjj

Post Tue, Dec 16 2008, 12:25 pm
you americans dont know how to talk properly. you say at the meeting over the weekend or that took place over the weekend .. zag u dont say at colombia u say in colombia

mom21n2

Post Tue, Dec 16 2008, 12:42 pm
I think it's "using the computer."

greenfire

Post Tue, Dec 16 2008, 12:52 pm
up the block / down the block ... who cares ... so long as you know where you are going ...

zaq

Post Tue, Dec 16 2008, 1:05 pm
drumjj wrote:
you americans dont know how to talk properly. you say at the meeting over the weekend or that took place over the weekend .. zag u dont say at colombia u say in colombia

First of all, It's ColUmbia, not ColOmbia, as in Columbia University. IN Colombia means in the Latin American country of that name. A shabbaton is held AT Columbia. Weddings are made AT the Marriott, press conferences are held AT the White House. They may even be IN the White House if the weather is inclement, but often they're held on the lawn outside . IN refers to the physical location; my office is IN the Sears Tower. AT refers to an affiliation; my son is a student AT Columbia, the Shabbaton is AT Columbia. It may or may not be physically limited to the premises of Columbia, in fact at least some of the activities are elsewhere.

yo'ma

Post Tue, Dec 16 2008, 2:32 pm
Quote:
Carol: This is a lovely house!
Martha: Thank you. Carol, we call it home.

Carol: It's very close to work, isn't it?
Martha: Yes, it is. I always walk to work - even when it rains!

Carol: I usually take the bus. It takes so long!
Martha: How long does it take?

Carol: Oh, it takes about 20 minutes.
Martha: That is a long time. Well, have some cake.

Carol: (taking a bite of some cake) this is delicious! Do you bake all of your own cakes?
Martha: Yes, I usually bake something at the weekend. I like having sweets in the house.

Carol: You're a wonderful cook!
Martha: Thank you, it's nothing really.

Carol: I never cook. I'm just hopeless. My husband, David, usually does all the cooking.
Martha: Do you often go out to eat?

Carol: Yes, when he doesn't have time to cook, we go out to eat somewhere.
Martha: There are some wonderful restaurants in the city.

Carol: Too many! You can eat at a different restaurant every day. Monday - Chinese, Tuesday - Italian, Wednesday - Mexican, on and on ...

from here
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics