Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Now driving (for men) is Assur?
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

BeershevaBubby

Post Wed, Dec 17 2008, 1:38 pm
Quote:
R' Chaim Kanievsky OK's Expulsion of Yeshiva Students
Dec 16, 2008

Jerusalem, Israel -- Recently, a Yeshiva in the Givat Shaul area of Yerushalayim expelled around ten students that received their drivers licenses. The Yeshiva was attempting to stop students from applying for their licenses, and asked Israel's licensing office for the names of the students from their Yeshiva who had recently received their driving certification.

The Rosh Yeshiva visited R' Chaim Kanievsky for advice on how to deal with these students. Sources say that R' Kanievsky told the head of the yeshiva that, "A person who categorizes himself as a Ben Torah should not have a license, which takes him out of this category."

R' Kanievsky added that R' Shach had already said decades ago that this practice should not be allowed, because aside for the dangers involved, it takes people away from learning Torah, . Therefore, he said, despite his anguish over the issue, the students should be expelled from the yeshiva.

The Rosh Yeshiva asked about an additional boy who had also gotten his license only because his father was disabled, and getting around was difficult. R' Chaim Kanievsky responded that that student could be kept in the Yeshiva, but advised him to cancel his license anyway.
Copyright © 2007 Hamercaz.com All rights reserved

R' Kanievsky added that R' Shach had already said decades ago that this practice should not be allowed, because aside for the dangers involved, it takes people away from learning Torah

So Hatzalah and ZAKA and driving to shul and Beit Medrash and driving to do Bikur Cholim and Menachem Avel are now taking away from learning Torah? What about heading towards putting in to practice what one learns in the Torah?

shalhevet

Post Wed, Dec 17 2008, 1:45 pm
It's only talking about unmarried bochrim, and the reasons are stated in the article.

Yup, anyone who can't drive isn't putting the Torah they learned into practice.

Can't you respect anyone's opinion different to your own? You also forget that many chareidim don't have cars either. I guess they should quickly go and buy one so that they can put Torah into practice.

BeershevaBubby

Post Wed, Dec 17 2008, 1:48 pm
shalhevet wrote:
It's only talking about unmarried bochrim, and the reasons are stated in the article.

Can't you respect anyone's opinion different to your own? You also forget that many chareidim don't have cars either. I guess they should quickly go and buy one so that they can put Torah into practice.

Questioning does not mean lack of respect.

And the article also states that R'Shach decades ago already ruled on this so why hasn't this been enforced all this time?

Zus

Post Wed, Dec 17 2008, 1:50 pm
Then they shouldn't be allowed in taxis or buses anymore. Or airplanes to chu"l for shnorring. Or boats. Or bikes.

Clarissa

Post Wed, Dec 17 2008, 1:54 pm
I always knew people would rise up someday against these newfangled horseless carriages.

BeershevaBubby

Post Wed, Dec 17 2008, 1:55 pm
In addition, Shalhevet, why only unmarried bochrim? Isn't the learning one does in Kollel just as important as the learning one does in Yeshivah? Is it suddenly less important once a man is married?

Chocoholic

Post Wed, Dec 17 2008, 1:56 pm
Going to Uri's pizza while they could be lerning...

BeershevaBubby

Post Wed, Dec 17 2008, 1:58 pm
Chocoholic wrote:

You can easily walk or take a bus there.

Chocoholic

Post Wed, Dec 17 2008, 2:00 pm
YESHASettler wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:

You can easily walk or take a bus there.

I don't think a bus befits a Ben Torah.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Dec 17 2008, 2:06 pm
Bus can be dangerous! walking too, with all those cars??? and restaurants? with the terrorists??? c'v!

I hope he inforces a similar policy about SMOKERS!!!!

yo'ma

Post Wed, Dec 17 2008, 2:08 pm
YESHASettler wrote:
shalhevet wrote:

And the article also states that R'Shach decades ago already ruled on this so why hasn't this been enforced all this time?

I'm not saying that I agree with the article, but some remarks are showing lack of respect.

BeershevaBubby

Post Wed, Dec 17 2008, 2:10 pm
yo'ma wrote:
YESHASettler wrote:
shalhevet wrote:

I'm not saying that I agree with the article, but some remarks are showing lack of respect.

Except Shalhevet posted well before the other comments starting showing up. And I don't think my own observations have been disrespectful.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Dec 17 2008, 2:12 pm
I have a hard time because when people mix up halacha and... it's not even chumra, or minhag, it "just stam NO".. then if they drop/fail one, why not drop it all? It's also a huge turn off to potential BTs.

Let he advertise the dangers of the road, driving carefully, etc... that would rock. You can't remove everything from adults (or even kids) because it may be dangerous or badly used...

yo'ma

Post Wed, Dec 17 2008, 2:17 pm
YESHASettler wrote:
yo'ma wrote:
YESHASettler wrote:
shalhevet wrote:

Except Shalhevet posted well before the other comments starting showing up. And I don't think my own observations have been disrespectful.

I know, I just hope it doesn't get out of hand.

Barbara

Post Wed, Dec 17 2008, 2:18 pm
shalhevet wrote:

Could you post the source of your information that Kaniefsky's comments (that *Ben Torah* don't get drivers' licenses) is limited to teens? When looking for the complete article, I noticed that the Wolfish Musings blogs is asking whether that's the case.

I'm not suggesting that you *need* a license to put Torah into practice. I am questioning whether having one unequivocally means that you're NOT putting into practice, as the ruling seems to indicate. People drive for lots of reasons -- to visit relatives, to see someone sit shiva, to get to the doctor or supermarket or work. Its a tool. Why not condemn the things that he claims are done wrong with a car rather than condemning the car itself.

ClaRivka

Post Wed, Dec 17 2008, 2:21 pm
unmarried bochurim should not drive. whats the point? so that they can rent a car and go down to eilat??

when ur married u have ur wife to worry abt, and groceries, and getting to dr's, and kids with carriages and etc....

red sea

Post Wed, Dec 17 2008, 2:22 pm
Dont believe everything you read, you know R' C. Kanievsky is a gadol hador. If the author of the article didnt expand upon all the details of the situation and all the reasoning behind it, what's new with that? Besides, it even says we are talking aout a specific yeshiva and a specific situation that was asked about.

Zus

Post Wed, Dec 17 2008, 2:23 pm
ClaRivka wrote:
unmarried bochurim should not drive. whats the point? so that they can rent a car and go down to eilat??

when ur married u have ur wife to worry abt, and groceries, and getting to dr's, and kids with carriages and etc....

So don't own a car until you're married.

Inspired

Post Wed, Dec 17 2008, 2:30 pm
The issue is bachrim renting cars and "getting into trouble", mostly. Same as cell phones.

BeershevaBubby

Post Wed, Dec 17 2008, 2:35 pm
So banning instead of teaching responsibility seems to be the way to go?

And married people can get into just as much trouble as single people.
Page 1 of 7   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions