Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Now driving (for men) is Assur?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7

ss321

Post Thu, Dec 18 2008, 2:36 pm
Clarissa wrote:
ss321 wrote:

Its like flying on an airplane for goodness sake. Why cant we have water bottles? String? Who knows what random thing they will "assur" next. Heck I had to go to some back room once and prove that the "metal" "hidden" in my head was a wig, not a knife. Now who would store a knife in their hair I ask. Is it worth asking? fighting? saying its wrong, repressive, whatever? If you dont like it, dont fly commercial. Go rent a private jet, drive, take a boat, a train, whatever. Same thing here. You dont like their rules? you think they are too strict or repressive? No one is forcing you to attend this yeshiva!! I cant believe this thread has gone on for so long.
I don't think it's like flying an airplane. Those rules were designed to keep people from blowing up planes. That's quite different.

its really not different. To me, not being able to bring water on a plane, seems insane. But the TSA, in their infinite wisdom, has their reasons. If I dont like their reasons, or I think htey are being too extreme, I can CHOOSE not to fly .there are other ways to get to where I need to go, even if they all take longer and are far less convenient.
Same exact thing. To one person, not being able to drive a car while in a yeshiva, seems in sane. But R' Chaim Kanievsky, in HIS infinite wisdom, has HIS reasons. If a parent/student doesnt like his reasons, or theythink he is being to extreme, they can CHOOSE to attend another yeshiva. There are other yeshivos to get that bochur to where "he needs to go"- even if they are not as close by, or less convenient. See the parallel?

Crayon210

Post Thu, Dec 18 2008, 2:55 pm
And some would argue that the system of 'assuring' everything while flying is silly; that the system should be completely different, that the focus should be on generally figuring out who is a terrorist, rather than nitpicking person by person and item by item.

So some might argue the same about a system that assurs licenses, that maybe there is a more global system that can be put into place so the problems of bittul Torah (or whatever the problems are) not be problems.

ss321

Post Thu, Dec 18 2008, 8:48 pm
Crayon210 wrote:
And some would argue that the system of 'assuring' everything while flying is silly; that the system should be completely different, that the focus should be on generally figuring out who is a terrorist, rather than nitpicking person by person and item by item.

So some might argue the same about a system that assurs licenses, that maybe there is a more global system that can be put into place so the problems of bittul Torah (or whatever the problems are) not be problems.

maybe, but that doesnt seem to be the issue people are having w/ r' chaim kanievskys psak here. No one is saying, "wow, this is pathetic. they have to assur driving? how can we remedy this problem, fix the source of hte problem rather than forbidding acts that should be totally innocent." people are saying, that is so unfair, how can they do that, that is not what a yeshiva is about, it is so wrong, it breeds terrible middos like in the case where parents ask the boy to get something and he cant cuz he has no license, etc.
Page 7 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions