Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Bleached grey velour robe

chevy

Post Sun, Dec 28 2008, 6:44 pm
I have bleach stains on robe since used st moris on l stain did anyone use a dye on outfit, if yes where do I buy it .whats the name of dye

Tefila

Post Sun, Dec 28 2008, 6:46 pm
Wink Rit clothes dye and works on all natural fibres. I use it the whole time Wink

greenfire

Post Sun, Dec 28 2008, 6:59 pm
I imagine they sell it at walmart or some such store ... fabric dye Rit is the popular brand ... just be careful not to dye the entire world too or you will defeat the purpose ...

ShakleeMom

Post Sun, Dec 28 2008, 10:54 pm
RIT question – I want to buy a pink and wash all of my baby's shmattas in it so that I can pretend that they are all new for her. Will it dye them all a solid pink so that I will be sick of the color in a week or so? Let’s say a pink outfit has a white bunny rabbit on it, will it become sickeningly pink too?

zaq

Post Mon, Dec 29 2008, 10:25 am
1. home dyes work best on natural fibers, poorly or not at all on synthetics.
2. home dyes will not cover up stains. the fabric will be a new color with the same stains that were there before. even if you try dyeing it black. The stains will appear blacker than the rest.
3. parts of a garment that are made of different fibers will pick up the dye differently. there's no way to predict how an applique will come out. It may "disappear" if it picks up the same amount of dye as the base garment, or it may come out a different shade of the same color, or it may just come out looking dirty if it barely picks up any color.

greenfire

Post Mon, Dec 29 2008, 11:17 am
ShakleeMom wrote:
RIT question – I want to buy a pink and wash all of my baby's shmattas in it so that I can pretend that they are all new for her. Will it dye them all a solid pink so that I will be sick of the color in a week or so? Let’s say a pink outfit has a white bunny rabbit on it, will it become sickeningly pink too?

try pepto bismal ...

greenfire

Post Mon, Dec 29 2008, 11:17 am
zaq - what if she were to dye the spots first - and then the entire garment after ... Idea

Mimisinger

Post Mon, Dec 29 2008, 11:19 am
I was just thinking about dyeing some clothes. I need maternity underwear and they all come with white in the pack and I want to dye them, but don't want to make a mess...

My sil told me she used a beet but I tried that and it did NOT work.

zaq

Post Mon, Dec 29 2008, 11:38 am
greenfire wrote:
zaq - what if she were to dye the spots first - and then the entire garment after ... Idea

Nope. wouldn't work. The stain is still there. If she wants to make the stains look like a deliberate pattern, the easiest thing to do is to put some bleach into a spray bottle and spray away at the garment: swirl, spatter, sprinkle to her hearts delight, let set a short while, and rinse thoroughly. The "splatter" or "spatter" look was in style for casual wear some decades ago. I'd love to claim I started it by rescuing a t-shirt that I ruined leaning over the wash machine where someone had spilled bleach, but I can't.

If white spatter doesn't turn you on, you can go for tie-dye or spatter-dye, in which you do the same thing but use bottles of dye rather than bleach. That way, if the dye job is uneven, it makes no difference.

zaq

Post Mon, Dec 29 2008, 11:59 am
This thread reminds me of a friend who made the mistake of spraying her shower with some product like Tilex while wearing a brand-new hunter-green outfit. (Insane. I always wear an old T-shirt and an even older denim skirt, preferably with pre-existing stains of all types.) As you can imagine, the unthinkable but totally predictable happened. When I suggested the overall "spatter" look, she said she was afraid to ruin the outfit.

????? Like it wasn't already ruined, with just a few white splatters? At least with overall splatter it looks like it was supposed to be that way.

greenfire

Post Mon, Dec 29 2008, 12:10 pm
lol Nervous I have a matching green sweatshirt ... maybe she liked the few white splatters ...

Tefila

Post Mon, Dec 29 2008, 12:29 pm
First bleach the garment to get rid of or atleast lighten stains then ( if there's is any garment still left that is) Dye it I have done this to lots of the twins clothing when I have wanted then to match but don't want to buy new!

ShakleeMom

Post Tue, Dec 30 2008, 12:46 pm
Tefila wrote:
First bleach the garment to get rid of or atleast lighten stains then ( if there's is any garment still left that is) Dye it I have done this to lots of the twins clothing when I have wanted then to match but don't want to buy new!

that's a great tip!

greenfire

Post Tue, Dec 30 2008, 12:48 pm
so in other words ... make one big stain ... then proceed forward with dye ...

ValleyMom

Post Thu, May 07 2009, 10:56 pm
I am so LUVINGthis thread!!!

amother

Post Fri, May 08 2009, 12:51 am
[quote="Mimisinger"]I was just thinking about dyeing some clothes. I need maternity underwear and they all come with white in the pack and I want to dye them, but don't want to make a mess...
quote]
I did that once-I bought a package of black dye and dyed some whit maternity underwear. it came out with a tye-dyed, sickly brownish-greyish color even though I followed the directions to the T, but it did the job. I have a very sensitive cervix and it helped to avoid unnecessary shailos.
I stopped buying the maternity underwear and started buying the Jockey seamless comfies - they stretch a ton and if you buy them a size or 2 bigger, they still give you "coverage" in all the places that you need it, which is something that the maternity ones don't, as you get bigger. In BP I got them at Saposh for around $7 a pair, and I think Jockey sells them for $8. You can get sales and free shipping from thir website if you try. Worth every penny!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry