Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Ds tells the Rebbe he’s bringing a kugel for Siyum tomorro
1  2  Next

ShakleeMom

Post Sun, Dec 28 2008, 10:39 pm
And this is the 7th time since he started yeshiva! How do you stop the cycle when you feel pity, it’s your child. And if he doesn’t bring that kugel to yeshiva tomorrow he will be the laughing stock. But I have to find a moment to put the baby down long enough to pop it into the oven… the rebbe doesn’t give them a day to ask mommy what she can send (I would send a bottle of coke!)

Rivky

Post Sun, Dec 28 2008, 10:41 pm
My brothers were always the kugel/cake/bilkelech bringers. While some kids got away with the cups or napkins, my mother was always sending these time consuming to make things. Some kids are more generous on their mothers time!!!

shanie5

Post Sun, Dec 28 2008, 10:47 pm
Send a note to the Rebbe this time, that next time u want s/t smaller. and remind your son of that on a regular basis too.

coming from the mom who is always volunteered to drive everyone, bake the cakes and supply more time than she has.

greenfire

Post Sun, Dec 28 2008, 10:49 pm
get your sonny boy to make it ...

ShakleeMom

Post Sun, Dec 28 2008, 10:51 pm
Sending a note to this Rebbe won’t help much. As they get older, the Rebbe makes it an impromptu thing , “guys, bring something for the Siyum tomorrow’. Also, he may not have a major siyum again so fast, usually 2-3 a year. So tackling it with this Rebbe is not enough. I wish I have the guts to say no, but the kugel is in the oven already! Also, he did peel the potatoes, and rocked the baby so I can run to a neighbor for eggs.

greenfire

Post Sun, Dec 28 2008, 11:51 pm
how's the kugel ... sniff sniff ... I smell it here ... send me over pieces

ShakleeMom

Post Sun, Dec 28 2008, 11:52 pm
sorry, all the corners have been attacked.

Isramom8

Post Mon, Dec 29 2008, 12:37 am
Your Dear Son may have volunteered his Dear Mother's delicious kugel. What a compliment! Did you ask him? Kids have no clue about prebuying ingredients, postpartum schedules, etc.

They have to assign specific foods so that not everyone sends a bottle of Coke or Bamba.

Good for you that you did it. It's one of those things moms just have to put up with, and one of the more pleasant ones may I add...

Freeze one for emergencies the next time you make it!

Barbara

Post Mon, Dec 29 2008, 12:53 am
Teachers NEED -- yes, N E E D -- to set these things up at least a week in advance. I really don't understand why they don't; does the need for a party suddenly come upon them with no advance warning?

Somehow, someway, we always get assigned weird or expensive things.

I work full time, so I only get to the store on weekends. I'll never forget the time that I got home, late and tired, and found a note asking me to send rutabagas to school the next day. I'm not even sure what a rutabaga is; I certainly don't keep supplies of them in the house just in case my 3 year old needs to bring a big ol' bunch of them to nursery school the next day.

This year, I forget what he was told to bring, but it would have wound up costing us over $20 for the class. In this economy, I'm trying to pinch pennies until they cry. There are weeks in which Shabbat food barely costs me that much (we have a small family). I told DS that he could pay out of his savings, or I would buy some candy that cost a couple of dollars.

Gather your kids around. Tell them that next time, if it so much as involves turning on an oven, you need a week advanced warning. Otherwise, you're just going to have to say no.

bandcm

Post Mon, Dec 29 2008, 9:25 am
When I was little, I used to volunteer my mother for driving, baking, etc., all the time. She kept warning me not to volunteer her again without asking her beforehand, until once, she decided to stand me up. I was embarassed, but it taught me a lesson.
Now looking back I can imagine that it was more difficult for her to not do it than to just do it. That's the price of chinuch.

ChossidMom

Post Mon, Dec 29 2008, 9:39 am
This happens to me all the time. My 8 year old even volunteered his momma to make a cake once for a siyum! Augh! He thought it was not big deal...

Isramom8

Post Mon, Dec 29 2008, 9:53 am
I used to buy cans of olives well in advance of Tu B'Shvat and tell my kids to offer to bring that in, before a teacher woulld request guavas or persimmons. My kids thought it was weeeeird!

TzenaRena

Post Mon, Dec 29 2008, 10:02 am
I have this with my dd's Shabbatons. She volunteers her mother to make the kugel! last time, I sent my mother's delicious kugel, and had to make one myself. My mother's kugel wins hands down. DD told me that her friends finished it off before Shabbos !

Isramom8

Post Mon, Dec 29 2008, 10:05 am
TzenaRena wrote:
I have this with my dd's Shabbatons. She volunteers her mother to make the kugel! last time, I sent my mother's delicious kugel, and had to make one myself. My mother's kugel wins hands down. DD told me that her friends finished it off before Shabbos !

Love it! Soon we'll have notes saying. "Have your child's Bubby make sushi rolls for our siyum on Parshas Noach."

GAMZu

Post Mon, Dec 29 2008, 10:36 am
Wow. And I thought it was bad that the Rebbe sent me a note on Thursday announcing that it's my son's turn to bring snack for Shabbos Party. Being new to this whole thing, I would have appreciated some suggestions. I didn't know if they usually have one or 2 things- one big bag or individual pekelech. Whatever.

But the point is- I had to go out with the whole troop in the afternoon, with my son all exhausted from cheider, and get some nosh or other.

I also would have appreciated advance warning, but at least I didn't have to bake! What if you were sick? Or had a wedding to attend that night? Yikes.

ShakleeMom

Post Tue, Dec 30 2008, 12:56 pm
I slept late that morning and couldn’t see his face when dh gave him the kugel to take with him. I do remember mumbling in my sleep – write a note that it was bake din a fleishig oven. So much for my post partum brain.

Ds came home grinning, “my rebbe said thank you so much!”. Yeah well, I’m sure the Rebbe licked his fingers while I was eating a banana for lunch.

mummy-bh

Post Tue, Dec 30 2008, 1:37 pm
GAMZu wrote:
Wow. And I thought it was bad that the Rebbe sent me a note on Thursday announcing that it's my son's turn to bring snack for Shabbos Party. Being new to this whole thing, I would have appreciated some suggestions. I didn't know if they usually have one or 2 things- one big bag or individual pekelech. Whatever.

But the point is- I had to go out with the whole troop in the afternoon, with my son all exhausted from cheider, and get some nosh or other.

I also would have appreciated advance warning, but at least I didn't have to bake! What if you were sick? Or had a wedding to attend that night? Yikes.
Gamzu, in my experience it gets worse as the kids get older. My little one's nursery sends a note home on the Monday informing the parents that the child is the shabbos mammy/tatty. My 12 year old, on the other hand, came home one night last month and announced she was to make the challos for the whole class for the Yud Tes Kislev seuda (which just happened to be the following morning Twisted Evil )

GAMZu

Post Wed, Dec 31 2008, 10:06 am
shock

mummy-bh

Post Wed, Dec 31 2008, 10:12 am
Yeah, I think she thought baking challos was like baking a cake - you mix it all up and pop it in the oven and come back 45 minutes later.

Guess who ended up staying up til 2 am......

BinahYeteirah

Post Wed, Dec 31 2008, 10:57 am
Hopefully it was your 12-year-old!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics