Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Kid Friendly and Dietetic Yummy Supper ideas, anyone?

Mevater

Post Tue, Jan 13 2009, 2:49 pm
Natural and common (easily obtainable) ingredients preferred, please.

Raisin

Post Tue, Jan 13 2009, 2:55 pm
pasta, home made tomatoe sauce with any vegies you like in it, cheese for your kids, and grill yourself a peice of salmon.

grin

Post Tue, Jan 13 2009, 2:59 pm
vegetable salad and fish isn't dietetic enough? that's our standard Shabbos fare - before dessert, of course.

SingALong

Post Tue, Jan 13 2009, 11:24 pm
frozen veggies like broccli/brussel sprouts/ califlower/sugarsnap peas boiled/steamed with just salt and pepper.

or to be a little fancier you can add sesame oil, maybe with some crushed garlic and let teh veggies roast in the oven. simple and delish

Mevater

Post Wed, Jan 14 2009, 8:04 am
What do I do w. a teen that loves fried chicken/sesame chicken/lemon chicken/all takeout chazzerei.... and french fries/onion rings- all heavily fried and nothing else?

sky

Post Wed, Jan 14 2009, 8:31 am
I once posted a recipe for oven baked sesame chicken. do you think he would like something like that. It tastes pretty close to the real thing and is healthier (with a lot less work). for those who want to eat healthier just leave off the sauce and eat only the breaded cutlets.

yo'ma

Post Wed, Jan 14 2009, 8:58 am
My kids love when I just serve broiled chicken and salad. To add to it, maybe rice. I don't put anything on the chicken.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jan 14 2009, 9:06 am

Last edited by ra_mom on Thu, Sep 15 2016, 1:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

greeneyes

Post Wed, Jan 14 2009, 10:20 am
I posted recipes for baked french fries & baked chicken fingers on this thread:
https://imamother.com/forum/vi.....fries

Both recipes are really good, & kid friendly.

Here's another recipe that we love that might be something your teenager would like (The chicken is breaded, but baked instead of fried, & the sauce is delicious!):

Piquant Apricot Chicken Tid-Bites (from MealLeaniYumm by Norene Gilletz)

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, trimmed of fat
2/3 c. apricot preserves
3 T. chili sauce or ketchup
2 tsp. dijon mustard
1/4 c. dried basil
5 or 6 drops Tabasco sauce (I use a bit of cayenne pepper instead)
3/4 c. cornflake crumbs or breadcrumbs, or more as needed
salt & pepper, to taste

Spray a foil-lined baking sheet with non stick spray. Rinse chicken and pat dry. Cut into 1 inch pieces. Each breast will yield about 8 pieces. Heat apricot preserves until melted (microwave for 45 seconds on HIGH). Combine with chili sauce, mustard, basil, & Tabasco; mix well. Divide mixture into 2 separate bowls. Use one bowl as a sauce for the baked chicken. Use remaining sauce to coat the uncooked chicken. Season crumbs with salt & pepper to taste.

Dip chicken first in sauce, then in seasoned crumbs. Arrange in a single layer on baking sheet. I like to spray the chicken with pam at this point.

Preheat oven to 400. Bake chicken for 6-8 minutes. Turn pieces over and bake 6 to 8 minutes longer, until crisp & golden. Serve with reserved sauce (or mix chicken with the sauce), & rice.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus