Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Cutting infants nails

yellowrose

Post Thu, Jan 15 2009, 10:46 am
Any ideas how to have a baby sit still while her nails are being cut? Question

Fox

Post Thu, Jan 15 2009, 11:50 am
I remember doing it while the babies were asleep. I've always thought that "Outpatient Nail Cutting" for infants would be a great fundraiser for a children's hospital. They could erect a drive-through station where you could drop off your baby along with a $10 donation, have a nurse or similar professional do the dirty work, and then pick up the baby at the next station! LOL

chaylizi

Post Thu, Jan 15 2009, 12:36 pm
for my baby, I do it in the bath. with scissors, not clippers. asleep doesn't work for my kids. I think they have nail scissor radar. my toddler dd has to be restrained on my lap & if it's particularly hard that day, my 5 year old will come serenade her in the bathroom. my 5 year old stands still nicely & never fails to point out that I'm skipping nails (not cutting them in order)

AlwaysGrateful

Post Thu, Jan 15 2009, 1:23 pm
You can try doing it while nursing, if you can do it hands-free (with a nursing pillow for support). Ds was so distracted, he didn't even notice what I was doing...

Now that he's older, it's harder. I've read that you can try to bite them instead (and spit them out, obviously). I tried that once, and ds thought it was a hysterically fun game. But I don't have as good aim with my teeth as with scissors. (I also like scissors over clippers.)

mom2bsn

Post Thu, Jan 15 2009, 2:26 pm
my husband entertains him while I cut his nails

ss321

Post Thu, Jan 15 2009, 2:36 pm
DH does it when theyre really little (like till 2 months), it makes me too nervous. He does it when theyre sleeping, then they dont move arnd.

shoy18

Post Thu, Jan 15 2009, 6:21 pm
I 2nd the person who said in the bath and with scissors, you have much more control with scissors than with a clipper, and I find it much easier to do in the bath, bec they are calm and in a good position.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Jan 15 2009, 6:22 pm
I do right after the bath, nails are still soft. I put on vanity-sink and have very good control like that.

bebe3

Post Thu, Jan 15 2009, 6:52 pm
I do it while nursing too. With my older kids we sing where is thumbkin, snip snip.

#1cook

Post Sun, Jan 18 2009, 9:55 pm
I have my 10 year old hold the baby on her lap I hold the babys hand in one of my hands and cut with the other hand. it works wonders when somebody else helps out.

RedRuby

Post Sun, Jan 18 2009, 10:24 pm
Fox wrote:
I remember doing it while the babies were asleep. I've always thought that "Outpatient Nail Cutting" for infants would be a great fundraiser for a children's hospital. They could erect a drive-through station where you could drop off your baby along with a $10 donation, have a nurse or similar professional do the dirty work, and then pick up the baby at the next station! LOL

Brilliant, Fox!

I use cuticle clippers when they're sleeping. (until Fox sends me directions to the nearest drive-through)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics