Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Anne of green gables - the whole series
Previous  1  2  3  Next

shnitzel

Post Mon, Feb 23 2009, 6:44 pm
My favourite books growing up. I've read the entire series a thousand times, Emily books a few hundred, and the story girl about a million! (there is also a sequel to the story girl that I loved). Did anyone ever watch Road to Avonlea growing up? I am assuming it was only Canadian.

ShakleeMom

Post Mon, Feb 23 2009, 6:45 pm
Pollyana!

sequoia

Post Mon, Feb 23 2009, 7:00 pm
I watched Road to Avonlea! And now I watch it sometimes on youtube LOL

Marion

Post Tue, Feb 24 2009, 1:28 am
RtoA is available on YouTube?????????????????????

(Yes, I watched it. Anne of Green Gables was the only film my father allowed us to tape...before it was available commercially on video.

Do you remember Sarah Polley...Road to Avonlea is her claim to fame...as Ramona? A few years before RtoA. The show was carried on CHCH 11 in Toronto, but I don't know who produced it.)

Aidelmom

Post Tue, Feb 24 2009, 2:50 am
tzel wrote:
Aidelmom wrote:
tzel wrote:
Aidelmom wrote:
tzel wrote:
Did anyone read the Blue Moon,by the same author? I loved it.

never heard of the book. Are you sure you got the title right? Do you mean The Blue Castle?
Shosh yeah I was getting confused about the willows.

Yes you're right The Blue Castle. LOL

Yes I really liked it! Its also online btw.

Do you actually read it online?
Where do you need to go to find it?

Yes you read it online.(you can print it if you want) As I posted earlier go to theonlinebookspage.com and do a search for the book/author you want. They have books whose copyright has expired. Some books say on top that in the us the copyright still exists so if you live in the us you shouldn't read it.

Aidelmom

Post Tue, Feb 24 2009, 2:52 am
Marion wrote:

(Yes, I watched it. Anne of Green Gables was the only film my father allowed us to tape...before it was available commercially on video.

Do you remember Sarah Polley...Road to Avonlea is her claim to fame...as Ramona? A few years before RtoA. The show was carried on CHCH 11 in Toronto, but I don't know who produced it.)

The movie series is on youtube too. (anne of green gables, the sequel..)

mebs

Post Tue, Feb 24 2009, 2:58 am
OP, if you're still looking for a copy of the books, check out the link

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb.....ables

Marion

Post Tue, Feb 24 2009, 2:58 am
Aidelmom wrote:
Marion wrote:

The movie series is on youtube too. (anne of green gables, the sequel..)

In what kind of segments? IIRC, each film was over 3 hours long! (I seem to recall Anne being shown in 2 2-hour segments, and the same for the Sequel.)

Aidelmom

Post Tue, Feb 24 2009, 3:00 am
iirc in typical youtube segments (about 10 minutes) You can easily do a search on youtube and see.

sequoia

Post Tue, Feb 24 2009, 3:19 am
Yep, ten-minute segments. I watched Anne of Green Gables, Anne of Green Gables the sequel, and most of Road to Avonlea in ten-minute increments when I was procrastinating my thesis Smile

At least it's free Smile

Marion

Post Tue, Feb 24 2009, 3:30 am
I'd go nuts. I may have to bite the bullet and buy them on DVD.

chanchy123

Post Tue, Feb 24 2009, 6:02 am
I can't believe you've only become acquainted with Anne now!!!!
Yes, the books are nothing like the series (I think the first book might be somewhat alike).
You can buy the Anne books as a set but I don't know if anyone sells all 7 books together. Not to mention the add ons (such as Chronicles and Further Chronicles) If you're interested to borrow I own almost all of them PM me I think we live in the same area, and they are all available full text online.
I hope to visit Prince Edward Island next time I'm in Canada (or the time after that) DH promised he'd take me one day.
I'm a little bit obsessed.

chanchy123

Post Tue, Feb 24 2009, 6:05 am
shosh wrote:
That's so funny. I was thinking what's this "windy poplars," and I see that in England, Australia, and Japan it was called "Windy Willows," which was, incidentally, the book's original name! Not that it matters - it was the only one I never got into as it was all letters and not as interesting as the others, which l loved.

Btw, anyone ever read "Emily at New Moon," the author's other masterpiece? I think it was also a series, but maybe only a trilogy. It was less famous, but also a good read, and apparently the author herself preferred Emily as a heroine to Anne.

A trilogy - also a great read. She has quite a few other books. I haven't read them all but my favorite is A Tangled Web.
I see, to remember that Windy Poplars was the original name, later changed to windy willows. I had a copy that belonged to my mother and grandmother that was titled Windy Poplars but in a later edition it was titled Windy Willows.
Anyway, I agree, this book was nowhere as goos as the others.

chanchy123

Post Tue, Feb 24 2009, 6:07 am
shnitzel wrote:
My favourite books growing up. I've read the entire series a thousand times, Emily books a few hundred, and the story girl about a million! (there is also a sequel to the story girl that I loved). Did anyone ever watch Road to Avonlea growing up? I am assuming it was only Canadian.

Also in Israel!
The Golden Road.

Marion

Post Tue, Feb 24 2009, 6:43 am
PEI is gorgeous. The area around Lucy Maud Montgomery's home ("Green Gables") is beautiful.

soulful music

Post Tue, Feb 24 2009, 11:55 am
Aidelmom wrote:
tzel wrote:
Aidelmom wrote:
tzel wrote:
Aidelmom wrote:
tzel wrote:
Did anyone read the Blue Moon,by the same author? I loved it.

never heard of the book. Are you sure you got the title right? Do you mean The Blue Castle?
Shosh yeah I was getting confused about the willows.

Yes you're right The Blue Castle. LOL

Yes I really liked it! Its also online btw.

Do you actually read it online?
Where do you need to go to find it?

Yes you read it online.(you can print it if you want) As I posted earlier go to theonlinebookspage.com and do a search for the book/author you want. They have books whose copyright has expired. Some books say on top that in the us the copyright still exists so if you live in the us you shouldn't read it.

TY Smile

Mirel

Post Tue, Feb 24 2009, 1:11 pm
Oooh my favourite series! Are the videos still available anywhere?

shnitzel

Post Tue, Feb 24 2009, 2:02 pm
chanchy123 wrote:
I can't believe you've only become acquainted with Anne now!!!!
Yes, the books are nothing like the series (I think the first book might be somewhat alike).
You can buy the Anne books as a set but I don't know if anyone sells all 7 books together. Not to mention the add ons (such as Chronicles and Further Chronicles) If you're interested to borrow I own almost all of them PM me I think we live in the same area, and they are all available full text online.
I hope to visit Prince Edward Island next time I'm in Canada (or the time after that) DH promised he'd take me one day.
I'm a little bit obsessed.

I am so jealous! That's one of my dreams for forever. I am dying to see the red soil Very Happy I've mentioned it to DH before and he gave me an odd look, he grew up in western Canada in a smallish place and the thought of vacationing in eastern Canada isn't his idea of fun, but we'll see.

Marion

Post Tue, Feb 24 2009, 2:39 pm
Videos & DVDs both seem to be available on Amazon.

Tapuzi

Post Tue, Feb 24 2009, 2:43 pm
I recently bought that boxed set of all 8 softcover books, that one linked on Amazon. My original copies were soooo battered. I have also read everything LMM has written and I re-read all the Anne books every couple years, I just love them so much. The publisher started re-issuing all the LMM books just as I discovered them in the late 80's and our local book store would hold the new ones for me and call me so I could rush over on my bicycle to pick it up. Ah, the good old days.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room