Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Strawberries - anyone know?
1  2  Next

girl genes

Post Tue, Feb 24 2009, 12:57 am

Hi, I think about 6 months ago I saw an email in Israel that all strawberries are now a problem (previously you could soak in soapy water, cut of the top and check) and now there is a new bug in Israel and the States - you can only use peeled or mushed/cooked strawbs.

Is anyone a bug checking expert who know.
BTW - they sell Strawbs in fruit stores with a badatz hechsher in Israel.

Thanks

Marion

Post Tue, Feb 24 2009, 1:20 am
No comment. Honestly, IMO, use some common sense. Wash your fruit (and veggies), soak 'em, and check 'em. Then enjoy. Obviously, however, I'm not a halachic expert in the matter.

Mrs.K

Post Tue, Feb 24 2009, 1:31 am
I've heard different things from different people. Someone said their Rav said they cannot touch them under any circumstances. My Rav said soak for 10 minutes and check. You just has to ask your Rabbi his opinion. Someone else's opinion won't help you.

shalhevet

Post Tue, Feb 24 2009, 1:46 am
The Eida and/or Rav Vaya (don't remember) published this year that nothing has changed since last year. You have to cut off the tops, soak in soapy water, rinse and THEN peel and/or mush. Tell me, what's left of them? Though I may buy for Pesach, since I used to make strawberry ice-cream from puréed - and you can use them after puréeing.

I miss strawberries. Sad

The fact you can buy them in a store with a good hechsher just means there is some way to use them (puréed or peeled).

alisa

Post Tue, Feb 24 2009, 1:52 am
ok, so we called up vaad hakashrus and this it wat they said :
soak the starwberies for 3 min in soapy water. Move the strawberies around so that the soap gets everywhere. Repeat another 2 times.
Then....
Peel and eat
or
Don't peal, but mush and eat blended
u can freeze, cook or just eat like that.

Now enjoy your strawberies!!!!!Wink

Ruchel

Post Tue, Feb 24 2009, 1:56 am
I saw a chossid buying regular strawberries at a regular shop. So even his family, I suppose, had a way of eating them...

RachelEve14

Post Tue, Feb 24 2009, 1:59 am
I can understand the peeling, but I don't understand the pureeing unless you are peeling first? If there are bugs aren't mashed bugs still bugs (TMI sorry). Not trying to argue, I just don't understand. If there are bugs you can't eat them, mashed or not. If there aren't bugs, what is the point of mashing them after you soaked and checked?

lst

Post Tue, Feb 24 2009, 1:59 am
alisa wrote:
ok, so we called up vaad hakashrus and this it wat they said :
soak the starwberies for 3 min in soapy water. Move the strawberies around so that the soap gets everywhere. Repeat another 2 times.
Then....
Peel and eat
or
Don't peal, but mush and eat blended
u can freeze, cook or just eat like that.

Now enjoy your strawberies!!!!!Wink

the rabbanut harashit came out with a new report maybe 2 weeks or 3 weeks ago saying basically what you posted. cut off the tops, soak in soapy water, rinse, peel, eat
or don't peel and puree

but this btw is for strawberries in israel, it's different in america, and needs to be checked out every season. and strawberries grown hydroponically are ok without checking, just rinsing in plain water. (if anyone is willing to pay that much for strawberries)

lst

Post Tue, Feb 24 2009, 2:00 am
RachelEve14 wrote:
I can understand the peeling, but I don't understand the pureeing unless you are peeling first? If there are bugs aren't mashed bugs still bugs (TMI sorry). Not trying to argue, I just don't understand. If there are bugs you can't eat them, mashed or not. If there aren't bugs, what is the point of mashing them after you soaked and checked?

there is something with it being pureed, I can't remember the exact halachic terms and stuff, ill ask him when he gets home bli neder

shalhevet

Post Tue, Feb 24 2009, 2:03 am
RachelEve14 wrote:

Warning TMI Wink :

Once a bug isn't whole it isn't assur midoraysa. You are not allowed to purée things lechatchilla to get rid of the issur, but there are certain leniencies. Presumably the soaking etc produces a situation where there is now only a small chance of a bug remaining, so it can be combined with puréeing.

Oh, and Ruchel - for sure bugs/ checking fruits and veggies is different in different countries. Not because the halacha changes, but because the climate/ bugs do 8) . You need to ask a local OR about this one. Maybe in France the situation is different. I was only talking about EY.

RachelEve14

Post Tue, Feb 24 2009, 2:05 am
shalhevet wrote:
RachelEve14 wrote:

Warning TMI Wink :

Once a bug isn't whole it isn't assur midoraysa. You are not allowed to purée things lechatchilla to get rid of the issur, but there are certain leniencies. Presumably the soaking etc produces a situation where there is now only a small chance of a bug remaining, so it can be combined with puréeing.

Oh, and Ruchel - for sure bugs/ checking fruits and veggies is different in different countries. Not because the halacha changes, but because the climate/ bugs do 8) . You need to ask a local OR about this one. Maybe in France the situation is different. I was only talking about EY.

K got ya Smile

Dh got me a parve braun. Maybe I'll look for a nice strawberry ice cream recipe.

Strawberry

Post Tue, Feb 24 2009, 2:34 am
In the Hamodia picture secton of all the rebbe's at their Tu Bshvat tishim at least half had strawberries on their platters. The tops were cut off but they didn't look peeled (of course it is only a picture so it could have been peeled I guess).

Tamiri

Post Tue, Feb 24 2009, 3:03 am
There was a clip posted here last year, which showed these little bugs on strawberries. It was in the U.S., but after watching that guy try and beat the bugs out of the berries, with soapy water AND by leaving the berries overnight in a plastic bag, AND FAILING TO KILL THE BUGS, I sort of lost my appetite. They were nasty little critters.

shabri

Post Tue, Feb 24 2009, 3:39 am
I also saw a video recently. It was in Israel. After they left them for 10 minutes in soapy water and rinsed the thripes were still there. They crawl in & out of the seeds so they are hard to see but when they are out, you can totally see them with the naked eye.

I was also skeptical abt this whole thing before I saw the video but now I am so sold. Even though I really Love strawberries

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Feb 24 2009, 3:59 am
I once heard in a shiur a few years back that strawberries from Holland (majority we get here, except for glorious June/July locally grown ones) are cultivated hydroponically. I was told to soak & swish, trim both the green leaves and white bits underneath (where bugs are hiding). Never heard of peeling/mushing but then again we are not makpid to follow kedassia.

happyone

Post Tue, Feb 24 2009, 4:06 am
We're from NY. Our rabbanim paskened that we not use strawberries at this time.

shalhevet

Post Tue, Feb 24 2009, 5:14 am
Mrs Bissli wrote:
I once heard in a shiur a few years back that strawberries from Holland (majority we get here, except for glorious June/July locally grown ones) are cultivated hydroponically. I was told to soak & swish, trim both the green leaves and white bits underneath (where bugs are hiding). Never heard of peeling/mushing but then again we are not makpid to follow kedassia.

Info from a few years back might be out of date now. Things have changed concerning strawberries in the last 2-3 years.

sped

Post Tue, Feb 24 2009, 6:47 am
Someone I know tried doing the soak 3 times and peel and said it came out tasting like.... dishsoap! Definitely not worth the work.

greenfire

Post Tue, Feb 24 2009, 6:55 am
if you have a "mushed" bug, it is not as significant as a bug you can identify ... shock

girl genes

Post Wed, Feb 25 2009, 2:45 am
Thanks so much for the helpful answers

BTW: the answer " uuggg please - use your common sense-" was not so helpful. I don't think that most of the civilized world consider it common sense to sieve and soak barley - but as a religious jewess we do it. SO next time you aren't going to be helpful, perhaps think twice before you answer.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen