Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Strawberries - anyone know?
Previous  1  2

bubs

Post Wed, Feb 25 2009, 5:47 am
I attended a shiur recently on how to go about checking strawberries. Cut off the greens and if you get to a hole in the berry, you have to cut in half. You soak them in soapy water, swish, rinse and massage the strawberry meaning the bumps will be more or less smoothed out. Rinse again and check.

sky

Post Wed, Feb 25 2009, 7:09 am
I only eat them blended - and only if the recipe called for it to be blended.

this is completely a side point but I was also told that strawberry pie filling could be a problem also because the strawberries are whole and may still have the bug problem. It is almost impossible to find strawberry pie filling with a 'heimish' hechsher for that reason. I was disappointed about that because I loved the KBD strawberry apple kugel.

Emee

Post Wed, Feb 25 2009, 9:45 am
sky wrote:
I only eat them blended - and only if the recipe called for it to be blended.

this is completely a side point but I was also told that strawberry pie filling could be a problem also because the strawberries are whole and may still have the bug problem. It is almost impossible to find strawberry pie filling with a 'heimish' hechsher for that reason. I was disappointed about that because I loved the KBD strawberry apple kugel.

Perhaps you could puree the pie filling and then use it?

Also most major kashrus agencies have big checking booklets on their website. The OU hads oen available in book stores as does Rav Vaye.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen