Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
How to wean off bottle?

amother

Post Tue, Mar 24 2009, 7:08 am
I don't want to have to buy DD a new bottle for Pesach. She's 2+ and I'd like her to get rid of it. She has it for naptime and nights only.

What is the best way so I can start today?

fiddle

Post Tue, Mar 24 2009, 7:14 am
give her a sippy cup with some other form of liquid, other than milk. water, tea, juice and shell request that from now on and shell ditch the bottle. you give her something else, its new and seems different.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 24 2009, 4:06 pm
during the day she knows she can have any liquid she wants (milk, juice, water, etc) but in a cup only.
At night and during nap times she gets her bottle but only with water. She NEVER has anything other than water in her bottle.

Is it terrible to replace the bottle with a sippy cup at night?

My sister gave me a great idea- let her choose a sippy cup from the store and we can hype her up about it and no more bottles, etc (except she'll SCREAM if I mention no more bottles) She said we can even let her decorate it with stickers and tell her it's just for her. Not for her little sis (I have not made the mistake of letting take her bottle to bed, bh, but she does have a pacifier.)

I like my sisters idea but I'm skeptical about how it'll work with her. I don't want it to be a traumatic experience.

fiddle

Post Tue, Mar 24 2009, 4:20 pm
amother wrote:

Is it terrible to replace the bottle with a sippy cup at night?

no, whats the big deal? I leave a sippy cup by my dd's pillow in case she needs a drink in the middle of the night, what difference a bottle?

Quote:

I like my sisters idea but I'm skeptical about how it'll work with her. I don't want it to be a traumatic experience.

do what you need to do. traumatic? well it depends how you make of the situation. IMO I think that they adjust very well to different things..its not like your taking away something and not giving anything else.. your replacing a habit with another basically. except the sippy cup is more conventional than a baby bottle for a 2 yr old. try it. see what happens. worst comes to worst you just do with the bottle the same you do with with nursing. every night its a little less. until she doesnt need it anymore. im a cold turkey kinda person. I take it awya and they forget before you turn around. so they cry themselves to sleep one night, believe me they wont come back crying to you for taking away their bottle in 15 years.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics