Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
To double or not to double... that is the question

debsters1101

Post Tue, Mar 24 2009, 1:07 pm
help me out imamothers!! I can't make a decision!
I have a 2 year old (2 yrs 3 months to be exact) and a three week old KAH.
I am trying to decide if I should get a double stroller.
If I do get one, well then when I go out with both of them I can put them both in. but I have to worry about the folding, how much room it takes in the trunk, getting through doorways, store aisles, etc.
If I don't get one, I envision myself either carrying the baby in a carrier while the toddler goes in a stroller, or putting the baby in the stroller and having the toddler on one of those backpacks with a string (ok ok I'll call it what it is- a leash. I was very against these until I realized theres nothing wrong with a child being independent while still not being able to run into the street)
the toddler can walk pretty long distances (for a toddler lol) but she does tend to run off, which is why I would need the "leash" if I have her walking.
or I could just get a double stroller?
If I do get one its going to be the city mini. I tried it out at the store and its clearly a very nice good stroller but still, theres no comparison between pushing a single stroller vs a double.
I dunno. I only see it being necessary on long trips/outings but is it worth it for those few times? if we go on a "trip" my dh is usually with me and then we can have 2 strollers.
I'm torn. what would YOU do imamother??

Twizzlers

Post Tue, Mar 24 2009, 1:26 pm
I did get the double, but here's what I did before it was delivered, and what I do sometimes when I cant take the double for whatever reason.
My single stroller is a Graco Quattro Tour. It reclines flat and is extremely sturdy. I was able to lay down the newborn in the back half of it, while seating my toddler in the front half, and having him buckled in with no problems. Now that my kids are 1 and 2.5, (25 and 35 lbs respectively) it still works! Just the 1 year old sits in the back and the 2.5 year old in the front and we're set to go!

I think on singles like the Peg Perego and Zippy, they are not strong enough to have 2 kids sitting like that so if you have one of those, I dont know if you should chance it.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 24 2009, 1:29 pm
I got a double..you would not catch me dead wheeling my kids in my combi on those days my dh isnt able to take the second stroller out... another option, you can always tie the two strollers together and voila` you have a double! Smile

my double fits through doors and I dont have a car but fits into the smallest rent-a-car available 'trunk' (geatz- now thats small) I have a single for when I cant shlep it and I wear the baby...and when we get to our destination we let the bigger one walk and the baby goes in the carriage..but its easier to take a double..

id get a double. you can always get a lightweight small compact one that you dont haveto worry about any doorways even though mine surprisingly fits through all. but its a worthy investment. IMHO

greenfire

Post Tue, Mar 24 2009, 1:46 pm
amother wrote:
another option, you can always tie the two strollers together and voila` you have a double! Smile

I'm just imagining twisties from bread bags or garbage bags - tying two strollers together and the legs keep separating in the center as the wheels move off on their own tangents instead of staying in line ... can't imagine you getting down the block let alone to your destination ... Nervous Rolling Eyes 8)

sky

Post Tue, Mar 24 2009, 1:52 pm
I can't imagine not having a double I would go out so much less.

I have a Phil and Ted which I keep in my house. I use it mainly for going out in the neighborhood.

I keep a single Graco in my car and most of the time that is sufficient (It takes a car seat or a child). I put the baby in there and have my 2 yr old walk. but I only do it if we are not going to be doing a lot of walking (I have my 2 yr old sometimes stand on the basket - but it doesn't work for long distances). Most stores have carts that you can put the baby seat and the 2 yr old in so I never bring my carriage into those. If we will be doing a lot of walking I bring my double - but I don't like it.

I would get a double.

gamekeeper

Post Tue, Mar 24 2009, 2:03 pm
get a double! even if you dont always use it- you will need it alot! and besides, when you have more kids PG you will always be gratful that you have a double srtoller available!

TwinsMommy

Post Tue, Mar 24 2009, 4:15 pm
tough question. See, I can't live without my double but that's because I go out alone with toddler twins-- they're your toddler's age. Holding a hand of each child isn't happening ---they want to run in 2 diff directions-- I am not strong enough to wear either kid anymore (31 pounds each!)......

but if I had ONE child this age and a little baby.... I think I wouldn't bother with a double stroller. For the zoo or the mall or a place where your toddler will need to sit a bit, a single stroller would do it, and you could wear the baby--- by the time the baby is older, the toddler is not wanting to ride in the stroller anymore at all. In just a tiny bit of time when your baby sits up in a regular stroller without the infant seat, in those parts of long days out where the toddler wants to walk, put the baby you're wearing into the stroller----- if it were me, I'd just switch off. Some days, hold the toddlers hand and wheel the baby. Some days, wear the baby and push the toddler.

If you go for long walks for exercise, then YES-- a double stroller. But if you're talking about walking in stores, doing the children's museum, the mall, the zoo, stuff like that..... I would play the switch off game.

For target, walmart, and stores at the mall, you DON'T want a double stroller---- for target and walmart, throw both kids in the cart. The baby can be in the infant carrier and the toddler can sit up front (I put one toddler up front and one in the back "helping" me hold the groceries (if he doesn't throw them!). For going into stores at the mall, if you DO have a double stroller, leave it outside the store--- wear the baby and hold your toddler's hand. For me, I NEVER go to the mall without help unless it's just to window shop--- if I plan to go into stores, I have no way to be on two toddlers by myself with no stroller. The mall itself is fine-- but the stores--- oh my gosh you can't even get a SINGLE stroller into baby gap. BABY gap! hello! I like to shop online. Smile

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Mar 24 2009, 8:33 pm
how often do you go out, are they long walks, etc. I have a double jogger (a good normally priced one) and a more foldable stroller for the car. we got that for a road trip, we needed to pack things into the trunk along with the stroller.

I don't drive, so we use the car one on weekends or if I have to go into a store with a narrow doorway. you really have to know your needs. both my kids nap in the stroller if they're tired, so the harness wasnt an option for me. I needed to be able to be out even if my toddler got tired.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 24 2009, 8:45 pm
My second to youngest was 3+ when my youngest was born. I did not want to invest in a double stroller because 1. The second to youngest was already 3 and could mostly walk. 2. I am towards the end of my childbearing years and most likely will not need it in the future.

However there were a couple of times that I can remember when I really could have used one.

I thought the only way my 14 year old son could fly to yeshiva was as an unacompanied minor so the first few times he flew, I had to go with him through security. I have since found other ways. Anyway, I'll never forget the time I pushed and pulled two strollers together through the airport. Another time we walked far on Yom Tov and had to walk back myself with a tired 3 year old and an approx. 4 month old. After having him stand on the front bar for a while, and he couldn't anymore, I put him in the seat, and the baby in the basket, sleeping, wrapped up tight in a blanket. Believe me, I will never forget that!

Bottom line: If my 2nd to youngest had been under 3, I would definitely have gotten a double, even if it was only going to be used a few times.

chaylizi

Post Tue, Mar 24 2009, 8:47 pm
my dd is slightly younger than your 2 year old. she just turned 2 & I also have a 5 month old. seriously I couldn't do without a double. she runs away, lies on the ground & it's impossible to get anything done if she isn't restrained in a seat. that's just my opinion. my dd was only 19 months though when I had my baby, I really couldn't have done without one and been mobile at the same time.

shoy18

Post Tue, Mar 24 2009, 9:21 pm
my son was well over 3 when my dd was born, I bought a buggy board for my stroller, it was the best thing, anytime I needed to go somewhere far or do a quick errand, I was able to, but never had to buy a double stroller
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics