Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Kids during candle-lighting
1  2  Next

amother

Post Sat, Feb 25 2006, 10:36 pm
when my husband is not around for lighting, I find that it is hard for me to properly say my tefilos after I light. I hear the kids kvetching/ fighting/playing etc. I'm always worried that one of the kids will get hurt.
I have at times had to cut my tefilos short b/c either a baby was pushed over and started crying, or I could hear my 3 yr old playing with the candlesticks shock
it has become a stressful time, sometimes, instead of the only deep davening time I have to connect with Hashem.
any suggestions?

mali

Post Sat, Feb 25 2006, 10:41 pm
give them nosh. it works for those few minutes that you want peace and quiet.

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Feb 25 2006, 10:42 pm
Do you take challah? That's also a spiritual time.

Your kids will grow...

But, what about involving them? Givign tzedekah, etc. Are your girls big enough to light, or imitate you lighting?

hardwrknmom

Post Sat, Feb 25 2006, 10:49 pm
[quote="mali"]give them nosh. quote]

Are you serious? nosh?? I wouldn't give a kid 3 years old nosh. Unless you mean a cracker or a fruit.

Let her/him play or sit with books. Worse comes to worse you can light the candels and then hold your baby while you say your brochos, this way you'll know your 3 year old isnt beating on the baby!

mali

Post Sat, Feb 25 2006, 10:52 pm
I think nosh was created for exactly this purpose. nothing'll happen to a 3 year old if he gets some candy once/twice a week, when his mother is really desperate. Rolling Eyes

Tefila

Post Sat, Feb 25 2006, 10:53 pm
Mali I agree but there are mothers on here who think we are loonie and cruel Confused check out nosh thread I think in children section

hardwrknmom

Post Sat, Feb 25 2006, 10:53 pm
mali wrote:
I think nosh was created for exactly this purpose. nothing'll happen to a 3 year old if he/she gets some candy once/twice a week, when his/her mother is really desperate. Rolling Eyes

I think we shall start another topic of "parents giving their little ones "nosh".. I don't want to go off topic with this thread though.

Tefila

Post Sat, Feb 25 2006, 10:55 pm
Quote:
".. I don't want to go off topic with this thread though

Whyu is this u'r thread amother LOL

mali

Post Sat, Feb 25 2006, 10:57 pm
Tefila wrote:
Mali I agree but there are mothers on here who think we are loonie and cruel Confused check out nosh thread I think in children section

well, check out the "reminisce: nosh!" thread in the social scene, to see that our mothers weren't looney or cruel.

hardwrknmom

Post Sat, Feb 25 2006, 11:02 pm
mali wrote:
Tefila wrote:

well, check out the "reminisce: nosh!" thread in the social scene, to see that our mothers weren't looney or cruel.

YES darling- reminisce nosh was MY thread !! and I'm a terrible candy eater - BUT YOU WONT FIND ME GIVING TO MY KIDS EVER!!

mali

Post Sat, Feb 25 2006, 11:04 pm
hardwrknmom wrote:
YES darling- reminisce nosh was MY thread !! and I'm a terrible candy eater - BUT YOU WONT FIND ME GIVING TO MY KIDS EVER!!

they'll serve themselves eventually Twisted Evil .

hardwrknmom

Post Sat, Feb 25 2006, 11:09 pm
Tefila wrote:
Quote:
".. I don't want to go off topic with this thread though

Whyu is this u'r thread amother LOL

If you thought I was the one who started this thread, Why would I waste my time and write up a "solution" Question shock

Bh I don't have that problem at all- never even occurred to me- but I thought of some helpful tips that I mentioned. The reason I wrote to go off topic was I didn't think its fair when somone starts a thread to go off the subject.. that's all.

hardwrknmom

Post Sat, Feb 25 2006, 11:11 pm
mali wrote:
hardwrknmom wrote:

We shall see. And I didnt mention anything about when they are teens. I mentioned babies/little ones Mad

..."ever" maybe I should reiterate. I meant ever as little ones! Happy now LOL

Tefila

Post Sat, Feb 25 2006, 11:51 pm
Girls now we r truly off topic shock
Oh and this
Quote:
Let her/him play or sit with books.

is a good suggestion hardworkn Tongue Out perhaps just certain books put away for this occasion

amother

Post Sun, Feb 26 2006, 1:13 am
This used to bother me a lot. Finally decided to start lighting 10 minutes earlier ... I start with all the girls that light and give them one on one attention, when you have a few extra minutes, its usually less stressful so the kids sense that you are calm.

mali

Post Sun, Feb 26 2006, 1:32 am
that's a great idea Exclamation so why are you anonymous Question

supermom

Post Sun, Feb 26 2006, 3:47 am
hardwrknmom wrote:
mali wrote:
hardwrknmom wrote:

We shall see. And I didnt mention anything about when they are teens. I mentioned babies/little ones Mad

..."ever" maybe I should reiterate. I meant ever as little ones! Happy now LOL

my kids don't get nosh either at least from me. but they do get it from outsiders like their daycare and preschool and all. hardwrknmom don't count on waiting until they become teenagers Wink they won't last too long.

gryp

Post Sun, Feb 26 2006, 7:40 am
do you mind if I ask how long you want to say the tefillos for? it makes a difference in our answers, I think.

amother

Post Sun, Feb 26 2006, 3:59 pm
all I'm asking for would be 3 minutes. is that too long? Rolling Eyes

nehama

Post Sun, Feb 26 2006, 9:17 pm
Can your kids daven with you? They probably also have what to say. Or they may just enjoy being like Mommy enough to be quiet for a few minutes.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics