Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Kashering a microwave for pesach

ValleyMom

Post Sun, Apr 05 2009, 10:16 am
Sorry people. I have ownder a microwave forever but NOW due to modifications to my kictehn it seems like a good idea to kasher it for pesach.
QUESTION:
HOW do I kasher a microwave for pesach?

ValleyMom

Post Sun, Apr 05 2009, 10:17 am
Sorry for the horrendous typos....

shalhevet

Post Sun, Apr 05 2009, 11:28 am
ValleyMom wrote:
Sorry people. I have ownder a microwave forever but NOW due to modifications to my kictehn it seems like a good idea to kasher it for pesach.
QUESTION:
HOW do I kasher a microwave for pesach?

Music Music You ask your LOR, yey, yey Music Music
Music Music Not amothOR, yey, yey Music Music
Music Music You ask your LOR, yey, yey Music Music
Music Music Your local Orthodox rav Music Music

Seraph

Post Sun, Apr 05 2009, 12:10 pm
Ask your rav... but AFAIK the typical way of kashering it is cleaning it VERY well, let it sit unused for 24 hours, then boil water in the microwave for a certain length of time. But ask your rav if he holds by that.

3Qts

Post Sun, Apr 05 2009, 12:11 pm
Make Sure its not a Microwave/Convection oven. I was told there is no way to kasher that.

stem

Post Sun, Apr 05 2009, 12:24 pm
http://www.star-k.org/kashrus/.....g.htm

scroll down till you see info on microwaves.

greenfire

Post Sun, Apr 05 2009, 1:21 pm
if it's cleanable for pesach it's going to be cleanable for pesach no matter what rov you ask ...

ValleyMom

Post Sun, Apr 05 2009, 3:04 pm
The Rav that normally does all the kashrus questions is going to fancy schmancy pesach program so he is LOOOOONG gone. I read that star k web site and it appears that I didn't really need to cover my glass cooktop with foil all these years except I have done it for so long I guess I will continue to do so. The microwave seems like no biggie to kasher. Anyone elseout there have a glass cooktop??? What do you do?

shalhevet

Post Sun, Apr 05 2009, 3:14 pm
How can you put foil into the microwave? Isn't it dangerous?

ValleyMom

Post Sun, Apr 05 2009, 3:17 pm
No, No, NO!!! I put foil all ove my glass cooktop it looks very much like the interior of a spaceship.
I never used my microwave for pesach in my life... I think it's about time...

greenfire

Post Sun, Apr 05 2009, 4:19 pm
shalhevet wrote:
How can you put foil into the microwave? Isn't it dangerous?

many people are in need of a good dose of electric shock therapy - it's before pesach you know Twisted Evil

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Apr 06 2009, 1:13 pm
I believe there's a heter by Rav Ovadia Yosef.

I was told pretty much the same as Seraph, except I was told to get the new glass tray and the plastic ring for pesach. As others pointed out, you'll need to make sure it doesn't have oven-like heating element.

Seraph

Post Mon, Apr 06 2009, 3:33 pm
Mrs Bissli wrote:
I believe there's a heter by Rav Ovadia Yosef.

I was told pretty much the same as Seraph, except I was told to get the new glass tray and the plastic ring for pesach. As others pointed out, you'll need to make sure it doesn't have oven-like heating element.
Oh yes, that too... I forgot. Either that, or make sure anything you put in the micro on pesach doesnt go directly on the glass plate, but rather on a paper plate...

cubbie

Post Mon, Apr 06 2009, 3:39 pm
as said, you clean it thoroughly let it sit, put a glass of water on put it on until the water in the glass is bubbling for long enough for the whole micro to be full of steam. It doesn't matter if you use a pesach or chametz glass, that too is kashered at the end.

Aidelmom

Post Mon, Apr 06 2009, 3:43 pm
I was taught by a rabbi that kashering (actually this wasn't for pesach but I assume its the same idea) a microwave is a problem because theres a spot which gets dirty which is very hard to reach.

freidasima

Post Mon, Apr 06 2009, 4:20 pm
I was told to wipe it well and clean everything you can and then let steam go for five minutes by boiling water in a cup in there and voila it's KLP.

ValleyMom

Post Tue, Apr 07 2009, 12:57 pm
Well.
Mine is a regular boring simple $50 microwave. IF I had the spare storage I wwould just but a small cheap microwave for pesach and call it a day. But instead I will kasher it. It has not been used in TWO days we are that HOLY and I will steam it for TEN minutes so I get extra brownie points... :-)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen