Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
My bosch broke during shlissel challah! HELP

momomany

Post Fri, Apr 17 2009, 9:09 am
please someone post a name/number of someone preferablly in Boro Park who can repair my Bosch. I needed to hand knead 12 lbs of challah this morning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANKS IN ADVANCE!

greenfire

Post Fri, Apr 17 2009, 9:31 am
good exercise and therapeutic ... I was going to recommend making the dough by hand ... I do prefer a machine though ...

call the company ... go back to where it was purchased ... get a new one ...

momomany

Post Fri, Apr 17 2009, 9:48 am
greenfire!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP-you have the wrong answer!! I am tired from cleaning up from pesach till the wee am hours yesterday. I was up before 7 to make challah this morning. the most exercise I want this morning is lifting my coffee cup from hand to mouth. therepeutic this morning is serving cheerios & milk. Anyway - the house smells yummy, the challah is almost done,but I need to get the Bosch fixed asap. Can anyone help???

TzenaRena

Post Fri, Apr 17 2009, 12:05 pm
Sorry, can't help with your Bosch, but I do have an idea. Could you get your dh to knead the challah? Mine does. Wink I measure out everything, all the ingredients, and he mixes and kneads, and gets his workout. My dough is always the fluffiest!

ValleyMom

Post Fri, Apr 17 2009, 12:32 pm
Ding, ding, ding YOU worked so hard all pesach YOU deserve a BRAND NEW Bosch... This time buy it on American Express so you get the extra year protection plan. Just BUY yourslef a new one!
It's the gift that keeps on giving for your whole family to enjoy. I'm sure DH would rpefer the new Bosch to new jewelry or worse... spending hard earned $$$ on bakery challah like we do!
Yikes!!!

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Apr 17 2009, 12:36 pm
don't hand knead it all. just take out what you need for this shabbos and freeze the rest.

p.s. are you sure your bosh could handle 12 lbs of dough?

greenfire

Post Fri, Apr 17 2009, 1:07 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
don't hand knead it all. just take out what you need for this shabbos and freeze the rest.

p.s. are you sure your bosh could handle 12 lbs of dough?

how can you knead only part of a half mixed batch ... Scratching Head

Butterfly

Post Fri, Apr 17 2009, 1:49 pm
Momomany, same thing happened to me a few years ago, as I was about to make my 'shlissel' chaaah's.

I took it over to Duddy's, where I purchased the bosch originally... so that he return it to the company for repair....
He turned the machine upside down, pressed a tiny black button.. to reset the machine.. and walla! it worked magic!! that was all!!
It's very possible that during cleaning the machine so thoroughly for pesach I/you have pressed that tiny back button..
So before you get your nerves all screwed up.. just locate the button on the complete bottom (stand) of the machine.. give one single press.. it will pop back automatically, and that is ok. don't press again..
that's all you need to do to reset the 'engine'...

Also in case you might just not be aware.. on the top (head) machine there is a cover/lid. if that isn't turned towards the right all the way.. the machine won't start.- you might have uncovered it for cleaning.. and didn't screw it back all the way..

if all this doesn't work successfully for your machine, you might just want to put it to rest, and get yourself a new one. To replace the motor is almost as expensive as a new machine..

BTW, my motor was nifter after I abused it for 2-3 years (don't remember exactily), using between 61/2 and 63/4 - 7 lbs. of flour in a batch...
l
When I bought my new one, the storekeeper warned me not to use more than *6* SIX lbs of flour in a batch.
my new machine is apr 15 years old... still like brand new. SIX lbs. is my maximum!

Good luck,

enjoy your hand knead challahs. it will surely have a special 'chashuvos' and yummy taste.

Good Shabbas

greenfire

Post Fri, Apr 17 2009, 2:22 pm
sounds a bit like acrobatics ... for a minute there I thought she had to stand on her head shock

will you be having a sweet 16 for boschie Flower

momomany

Post Fri, Apr 17 2009, 3:51 pm
thanks everyone! I will go to duddy's next week. I know the bosch only does 6lb at once. I do 2 batches, one following the other - I have 2 ovens. At the end of the first batch, the bowl started spinning intead of the hook turning. I just dumped the dough out, kneaded it a few times & set it to rise. 1/2 hour later, I put in a 2nd batch. I seated the bowl in well (I thought), but after about 30 seconds, the same thing happened. I could not get the bowl to sit well enough so that the hook would work. I sometimes got it to work for a few seconds by hanging on to the bowl, but it was too strong for me & just became unseated. I finally just kneaded it on my own - a brand new experience for me, but still easier than fighting the bosch motor which was trying to throw off the bowl as I was trying to hang on to it. (please realize that this was being done at 7:30 am on approx 4 hours of sleep! - not fun) The silver thingy at the bottom now has silver pieces of metal sort of shaved off it. I hope duddy's can replace it. I assume, the brown thingamajig that the bowl usually sits in is no good too. I hope that is repairable. Does anyone know? My bosch is 20 years old & the motor is still as goood as new. thanks again everyone for your kind thoughts & ideas.

greenfire

Post Fri, Apr 17 2009, 3:54 pm
call bosch for a replacement piece ... I assume if they have it you can screw it on/off for easy replacement ...

Butterfly

Post Fri, Apr 17 2009, 4:55 pm
greenfire wrote:

will you be having a sweet 16 for boschie Flower

O yes, and getting her a nice big gift too.. a DISHWASHER.. so she can enjoy a good clean massage during the whirlpool cycle.. Compress
just not sure whether it'll arrive at her 16th birthday, or at her twenty first Twisted Evil

greenfire

Post Fri, Apr 17 2009, 5:24 pm
so long as she is not disloyal ...

Butterfly

Post Fri, Apr 17 2009, 6:36 pm
Well now momomany can be real proud of herself. She had no mixture today, and thus has managed to bake from 12 lbs of flour-challahs so early in the morning, whilst Ms. Butterfly had her Bosch machine knead for her only 6 lbs.. and thus she barely managed to put her challah's into the oven no sooner than 6:02 pm.. embarrassed Scratching Head

Well, at least we'll have very fresh warm 'shlissel' challas tonight imy'H.

They should be fully baked by 5 minutes before candle lighting.. LOL (hopefully.. Wink )

Shabbat Shalom all Smile

downsyndrome

Post Sat, Apr 18 2009, 11:58 pm
Did you possibly put the shlissel into the Bosch, thereby rendering it unusable? Very Happy

momomany

Post Sun, Apr 19 2009, 12:01 am
no key in the mixer LOL. the even dumber truth is that I think I overcleaned the mixer for pesach & messed up the brown thingy the bowl sits in
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads