Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
Wrong twin at brit - file under 'oops'
1  2  Next

BeershevaBubby

Post Wed, Mar 01 2006, 10:28 pm
My neighbor, S became a grandmother last week to twin boys. Her daughter, G, delivered the boys 3 weeks shy of her due date and the boys were both born a bit over 2 kilo. They were released from the hospital on Sunday and after speaking with the dr. and a mohel, it was decided that the bigger of the two would have his brit on time, Tuesday morning, but the smaller one would have to wait until he gained a bit more.

They ended up doing both boys. By accident. Because they took the wrong baby and didn't realize until too late.

So... now both boys have their brit and they have each other's name.

I'm guessing they dressed the babies in identical outfits. The theory is that the father's niece was holding the bigger baby, put him back into the carriage and like any responsible person, buckled him in. When the father, Y, came to get the baby, he took the one that wasn't buckled in and no one realized until too late.

The babies, btw, are not identical but look similar...

I'm wondering if there is anything in TaNaCh about children getting the 'wrong' name... and yes, I know about Yaakov's blessing to Yosef's children, where he crossed his hands... but that doesn't really count for this.

Crayon210

Post Wed, Mar 01 2006, 11:04 pm
I guess it means that it's bashert that each boy got the name he got! People have told strange stories about suddenly changing the name at the bris/during the aliyah for the daughter...it's all with ruach hakodesh, so I guess this was meant to be.

WEIRD though!

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Mar 01 2006, 11:41 pm
I feel like a broken record having posted this on the blog and on frumspace, but I wonder what other women here think:

Doesnt the mohel first 'prepare' the baby by tying the legs with gauze so the baby doesnt kick during the bris? The mohel wouldve noticed that when he opened up the baby's stretchy.

Also, every circle does differently but in my velt, the non-bris baby woudlve stayed home with the mother (kimpeturins dont go to their babies' brissen - I never couldve handled it), and it's not a good idea for a pre bris baby to be around crowds. But wahtever happened happened, and it's a cute story Smile.

R' Paysach Krohn related such a story on the radio, how the younger baby was brought in first and he didnt know what to do - youre not allowed to send a baby back if he gets into the shul. OH!! THAT MAY HAVE BEEN WHAT HAPPEEND - the mohel probably realized that the baby was not prepared but he could not send the baby back because al pi halacha he had to have a bris if he ended up on the bris table. hahaha! funny story all around.

chavamom

Post Thu, Mar 02 2006, 12:03 am
Mindy wrote:

Doesnt the mohel first 'prepare' the baby by tying the legs with gauze so the baby doesnt kick during the bris? The mohel wouldve noticed that when he opened up the baby's stretchy.

They never did this with my boys and I've never seen it done that way, so I'm not sure how common that is. I had boys that were 'done' in Israel AND in the US, so it probably depends on the mohel.

chavamom

Post Thu, Mar 02 2006, 12:05 am
Oh, and when my oldest was born, dh said the 'wrong' name. Someone gave us something to read afterward from the Ba'al Shem Tov that said that the only time that we have prophecy in our times is in the naming of children and a malach puts the name into the parent's mouth. My dh jokes that he didn't say wrong name, but that a malach knocked him out cold.

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Mar 02 2006, 12:11 am
my father in law is notorious for messing up names. he messed up 3 of his kids names... one sil is named after no one, she was supposed to be named one thing and my FIL said a similar but different name... The youngest child was supposed to be something else and he decided at the last mintue to name her the original name he had forgotten at the older sibling... lol... and my dh was supposed to hav ea middle name which he forgot.. it's a riot.

Last edited by Mama Bear on Thu, Mar 02 2006, 7:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

Pearl

Post Thu, Mar 02 2006, 3:26 am
LOL chavamom and mindy LOL

lucky

Post Thu, Mar 02 2006, 9:23 am
Mindy wrote:
(kimpeturins dont go to their babies' brissen - I never couldve handled it.

I don't think I couldve handled it either. Even when we had a Bris in the house, the mother was in a room so she should not hear the baby cry.

ChavieK

Post Thu, Mar 02 2006, 9:42 am
Did a lot of you have babies feet tied? I never heard this before. My 1st boy had his bris on Pesach in shul. My Mom was the one who was about to cry.I looked around at over 100 men & boys (who were all fine)& I felt so good.Of course I felt bad that it hurt him,but so do shots & blood tests.This made my baby parts of US.

lucky

Post Thu, Mar 02 2006, 9:57 am
ChavieK wrote:
Did a lot of you have babies feet tied? I never heard this before. .

My sons were all sorta swaddled onto a board.

Motek

Post Thu, Mar 02 2006, 10:35 am
Kmelion wrote:
but the smaller one would have to wait until he gained a bit more.

I don't understand the point about once you bring the baby into the shul you have to do the bris (source?) because if it was determined that the baby had to gain more weight, then HALACHICALLY he CANNOT have his bris! If gaining weight was no big deal, the bris would be done on time!

raizy

Post Thu, Mar 02 2006, 11:13 am
it was destined in heaven that the smaller baby should have his bris on time. and the mother must be glad it all over. no second time worries.

BeershevaBubby

Post Thu, Mar 02 2006, 11:52 am
Apparently Sephardim have a different minhag about bringing in the baby.

BTW, both are doing fine.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Mar 02 2006, 12:38 pm
I can't imagine who would mis her own simcha!

BTW, I cleaned up after my son's bris.

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Mar 02 2006, 2:29 pm
Sara, I think it's obvious to you by now that in my community, very special care is given to the kimpeturin to allow her to recover properly. I'm a HUGE advocate of going to a convalescent home like SeaGate (it was a point of major discussion on my blog - thank goodness you dont read it or you'd tear me to shreds Very Happy), and as you see we're not obligated to go to mikvah before 3 months, and the mothers don't go to their kids' brissim. Missing their son's simcha? we have a bash of a vach nacht the night before where th emother is there in her long robe and the center of the glory. A woman a week after giving birth does not need to be there when her baby screams his lungs out. Believe you me, I was NOT a kimpeturin anymore - my baby was 4 1/2 weeks old at his bris - and I did not attend. I was crying so much the night before and that morning, I was petrified. It was the first time in my life that I had serious issues with a mitzvah d'oreisa, a mitzvah that HaShem himself commanded Avraham Avinu. I was terrified at the idea of my poor tiny preemie being in pain. I could NEVER have handled being there while it was going on - I probably would've fainted. You're made of stronger stuff than me - I dont know if youare a BT or what bu tyou've indicated several times that you dont have family nearby. being like that has made you more mature, independent, and self sufficient. I guess I admit unashamedly that we're more spoiled and coddled. Oh, by the way, whil ethe bris was going on, I set the table and prepared the salads etc. for the bris seduah for ladies (the men have it in shul adn the ladies in the baby's home). So I wasnt laying around weakly in bed, but emotinally I personally feel that a postpartum woman cannot always handle being there when her baby is being cut, even though it's the biggest mitzvah, possibly the second mitzvah in the torah if I"m not mistaken.

(sorry if I came across strongly, just explaining why we dont have th emother be by her baby's bris)

Tefila

Post Thu, Mar 02 2006, 6:27 pm
Vearing off slightly here and talking about mix up. I dressed my twin boy in his twin sisters coordinating dress with ruffled tights and all whilst I was busy on phone w/h mother.
Then went to dress his sister and only when she turned to face me did I realize what I had done what a headache I had to rechange them both again. Confused
Only an overworked overwhelmed crazy mom could have done that. embarrassed Since they r far from identical in weight too, halavay this should be the worse thing I mix them up in I guess Confused
My husband just laughed and told me to leave them that way already Confused

Motek

Post Thu, Mar 02 2006, 6:31 pm
Mindy wrote:
we're not obligated to go to mikvah before 3 months,

what does THAT mean?

you are obligated to go when you are able to go!

chen

Post Thu, Mar 02 2006, 6:34 pm
Mindy wrote:

(why we dont have th emother be by her baby's bris)

then who nurses him right after?

ektsm

Post Thu, Mar 02 2006, 6:47 pm
I know someone who wanted to name their kids Levi Yitzchak and accidently said Yosef Yitzchak. The rav told them that they couuld change to the original name they wanted. I think this ones a question for a Rav.

Crayon210

Post Thu, Mar 02 2006, 6:51 pm
Motek wrote:
Mindy wrote:
we're not obligated to go to mikvah before 3 months,

what does THAT mean?

you are obligated to go when you are able to go!

I've asked Mindy for a source for this, and she said that it's common minhag in her community, and is apparently attributed to the Spinka Rebbe.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics