Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
Wrong twin at brit - file under 'oops'
Previous  1  2

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Mar 02 2006, 4:15 pm
chen wrote:
Mindy wrote:

(why we dont have th emother be by her baby's bris)

then who nurses him right after?
He is brought back home after the bris to his mother, along with all the other women who came to the bris, where the ladies wash or have coffee or something.

Motek

Post Thu, Mar 02 2006, 5:32 pm
Crayon210 wrote:
I've asked Mindy for a source for this, and she said that it's common minhag in her community, and is apparently attributed to the Spinka Rebbe.

what is "her community" and Mindy - could you get an exact source please?

is this something you learned in Kalla class? (otherwise, how would you know?)

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Mar 02 2006, 6:35 pm
check out the thread called 'how long til tahor' under taharas hamishpacha where I discuss it at length. by my community I meant the chasidish - not lubavitch but williamsburg type - community.

deedee

Post Thu, Mar 02 2006, 6:39 pm
Quote:
He is brought back home after the bris to his mother, along with all the other women who came to the bris

who brought ur baby back to you? was it family? I know when my baby was born I wouldnt let her out of my sight, let alone out of the house without me.
why couldnt u be at the shul but just in a diffrent room (the way I see it done) so u can get ur baby right after?

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Mar 02 2006, 7:06 pm
deedee wrote:
Quote:
He is brought back home after the bris to his mother, along with all the other women who came to the bris

who brought ur baby back to you? was it family? I know when my baby was born I wouldnt let her out of my sight, let alone out of the house without me.
why couldnt u be at the shul but just in a diffrent room (the way I see it done) so u can get ur baby right after?
my mother and MIL brought him back.

My son had been 2 weeks in teh NICU without me - I only visited once a day - and I'd been at seagate for 11 days where he stayed in the nursery and only was givne to me for feedings. So letting him be out of my care for 1/2 hour for his bris wasn't the end of the world at all.

I didn't nurse him either so it wasn't emergency to nurse him within 2 minutes of the bris. I dont remember if he got a bottle right away; probably yes but I don't recall.

stem

Post Thu, Mar 02 2006, 7:45 pm
Are you the same poster who said it was so hard to be away from your baby for 1.5 hours while at the mikva? After being separate from him for so long (visiting him only once a day for 2 weeks, only seeing him for feedings for 11 days), Why is 1.5 hrs terribly long?

beanmaidel

Post Sat, Mar 04 2006, 11:44 pm
my father "accidentaly" gave me the wrong name in shul.. oops.. my parents had debated between 2 sets of names.. when he got up to the bima to name .. I guess that good ole' Malach gave him a gantze petch! cuz he gave me the name my mother decided she didn't want..

the funniest thing is my sister named her 2nd daughter the name that I was supposed to have without realizing that my parents had wanted to give me that name! also a close friend of mine has that name as well.. I guess I was destined to have the name that I got Smile

Friendly

Post Mon, Mar 06 2006, 2:25 pm
veering of topic, but who says a baby needs to nurse straight away after a bris? My mohel said to make sure I nursed the baby right BEFORE the bris (apparently not such a great idea either cuz he pooed evrywhere as soon as the mohel took the diaper off Rolling Eyes ) but I did not have to nurse him afterwards. And he was just fine.

micki

Post Mon, Mar 06 2006, 3:18 pm
back to the topic, when my son was yellow and I wanted to do the bris anyway- don't ask I was hormonal and emotional- the mohel said that he is not permitted to do a bris on a baby that is not well.
that the baby has to have 8 healthy days in this world, BEFORE he can have his bris. so he was no longer yellow on say march 1, and only 8 days later did he have his bris.

some mohalim prepare the baby, some don't.
that is a crazy story.

as to not being htere at the bris- well that too is custom, how you are raised! I would never! have missed my sons bris.

mindy you REALLY were away from your newborn for the first 11 days!! didn't you miss him?
what happens if a mother nurses, how does she manage that then?

raizy

Post Mon, Mar 06 2006, 7:27 pm
I guess mindy didnt nurse. horrors for all u nursers. her baby was premie. and bye my first baby I was away from him for a week. I had surgery and he was bye my sister. believe me I still have a scar from it. but I guess my "baby" doesnt remember it. but my sister said she will never forget it. she had a newborn then as well . so 2 newborns at one time. !!!!

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Mar 06 2006, 7:39 pm
stem wrote:
Are you the same poster who said it was so hard to be away from your baby for 1.5 hours while at the mikva? After being separate from him for so long (visiting him only once a day for 2 weeks, only seeing him for feedings for 11 days), Why is 1.5 hrs terribly long?
oh, because now I am so attached to him - that was in the very early days when he was a preemie and I was still recovering from giving birth.

It's not the 1 1/2 hours - it's the not being able to call home and hear how he's doing. When I go anywhere else and can call home and be in touch, I'm not that nervous.

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Mar 06 2006, 7:43 pm
micki wrote:

mindy you REALLY were away from your newborn for the first 11 days!! didn't you miss him?
what happens if a mother nurses, how does she manage that then?
He was in the NICU for 2 weeks because he was premature and underweight. Of course I missed him. But I had to regain my strength from having a c-section so once a day was just as much as I could muster to travel 45 minutes each way to see him. And nobody really nurses a preemei who is in the NICU; you pump while you're away and try to nurse when you visit. He never succeeded...

The next 11 days, I spent in SeaGate so he could gain weight quickly and have his bris as soon as possible. My mother was afraid to take care of a fragile 4 pound preemie and I had NO experience taking care of babies, certainly not such a teeny one. So I held him every few hours for an hour but then was able to get my rest and work on my pumping and nursing. Once I came home with him - bye bye sleep, bye bye pumping, I was a wrung out dishrag and a walking zombie, he cried non sstop and there was no one to hold him while I tried to pump. I was afraid to nurse him because I didnt want to give him thrush, so I just gave up pumping compltely and he is thriving on Neosure BH Smile. anyway, we B"H made the bris at 4 1/2 weeks Smile! He is now 6 months old and doing fabulous.

realeez

Post Mon, Mar 06 2006, 8:37 pm
Wow what a story!!!
btw, for my boys, I went to the shul for my boys' bris but was in a different room while it was actually being done.

suomynona

Post Tue, Mar 07 2006, 5:54 am
I wasn't at my son's bris because it was on shabbos & I wasn't up to walking 20 minutes to the shul.
Which was just fine with me - I was so exhausted, I wasn't really interested in attending.
As far as nursing, I think I just sent a pumped bottle. I was pumping the first week anyhow because he was too weak to nurse.

Helani

Post Tue, May 22 2007, 8:12 am
I moved in between my two boys so used two different mohels. The first bris , the mohel prepared the baby by binding his legs and afterwards he put a bandage on him (which I had the honor of removing myself, since it was a four hour round trip for the mohel and he didn't want to come back). The second bris I just passed the baby on when the mohel was ready for him. My father in-law who was holding him had to hold his legs. No bandage afterwards either. Both mohels were very fast, and both babies healed beautifully.
I was also told not to nurse for an hour before, and to nurse as soon as possible after.
As for name mix-ups, since I was never officially named I did it when I was becoming frum...and since my family used Yiddish names I thought I was named Henya...later I realized it was Chana.

chen

Post Fri, May 25 2007, 6:27 am
Kmelion wrote:
they have each other's name.

Unless the parents had a specific reason for naming Twin A one thing and Twin B another--say, they wanted to name the little one Refoel because he was sickly or s/t--what difference does it make? My guess is the choice was random--we'll name one kid Rocky and the other Bullwinkle and it doesn't really matter which is which.

BeershevaBubby

Post Fri, May 25 2007, 6:44 am
chen wrote:
Kmelion wrote:
they have each other's name.

Unless the parents had a specific reason for naming Twin A one thing and Twin B another--say, they wanted to name the little one Refoel because he was sickly or s/t--what difference does it make? My guess is the choice was random--we'll name one kid Rocky and the other Bullwinkle and it doesn't really matter which is which.

According to the grandmother, the mother wanted Baby A to be named one thing and Baby B to be named the other for specific reasons.

amother

Post Sun, May 27 2007, 1:23 am
Quote:
check out the thread called 'how long til tahor' under taharas hamishpacha where I discuss it at length. by my community I meant the chasidish - not lubavitch but williamsburg type - community

I live in Williamsburg and I can't remember which dayan it was, but I believe it was Satmar dayan. My husband went for Birth control question and at the same time told him that I'm 9-10 weeks postpartum so dayan wanted to know why I hadn't gone to the mikveh yet. Dayan said to go as soon as I could. I was finally able to go at 11 weeks (when finally the spotting stopped).
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics