Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Which of the current serial stories are you following?
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

Mama Bear

Post Sun, May 10 2009, 2:06 pm
Every week when I get the Binah, Mishpacha and Hamodia I just rip right into the serial stories. They are GREAT. Which of the current serial stories are you following? Which ones do you like/dislike and why?

Binah has "Tapestries" by Yochie Wiederkauer and "Taking Flight" by Zissi Fried. MIshpacha currently doesnt have a decent one in the main magazine but has "Green Fences" by Riva Pomerantz in the Family First and "Checkerboard" (by whom?) in the Junior. Hamodia has "Windows to Valor" by SHia Moseson and a very good Junior one, the title of whicdh I forget. theyre all so good!!

Twizzlers

Post Sun, May 10 2009, 2:08 pm
The only magazine we get is the Mishpacha, and I'm avidly following Green Fences Smile I usually dont go for the serials, but this one is goooood

willow

Post Sun, May 10 2009, 2:17 pm
I also don't follow serials because they usually stink, however Riva P. is amazing in this one.

3Qts

Post Sun, May 10 2009, 2:26 pm
Out of all those listed the only one I read is taking flight and really enjoy it.

anonymom

Post Sun, May 10 2009, 3:08 pm
I am enjoying Green Fences enough to come back to it each week. But it is way too shleppped out.

I gave up on Windows to Valor because after a few weeks, I could not keep track of all the characters and it got frustrating.

I don't get Binah.

ClaRivka

Post Sun, May 10 2009, 3:24 pm
green fences is really good
tapestries is ok so far
taking flight annoys the heck out of me but I read it anyway..

bashinda

Post Sun, May 10 2009, 11:16 pm
I'm really enjoying Riva Pomerantz's writing in general but I don't get Mishphacha weekly just when the issue looks interesting so I'm hoping it gets turned into a novel. Also it's an interesting juxtaposition where "art" ends up mirroring real life so much that it necessitated having a disclaimer at the bottom.

Shia Moseson's serial: diverting but a little unrealistic, how common is it for two first cousins to marry? and the last one I think was hard to read; it just brought about the worst characteristics in Raizy's mother; that part, unfortunately, does sound realistic with the young couple getting caught in the middle.

I would have enjoyed Taking Flight if as much thought that had been put into the research had been put into finding a well written way of conveying the author's message; I don't do well when the message is so important it drowns out the need for what I consider the staples of fiction writing: consistent narration (either omniscient narrator or first person but not both at the same time) character development and plot.

I'm finding the young couple in Tapestries extremely grating. They both seem extremely exaggerated. Or, they seem to be two people who never talked enough tachlis during their dating. However, I'm finding myself interested in the other plot threads and I'm curious about what was written in that family document.

rise above

Post Mon, May 11 2009, 12:42 pm
I'm following all of the above and am suprisingly impressed with most.
Above all, I love green fences and I think RP is an excellent writer. Hope to see more from her!

chavamom

Post Mon, May 11 2009, 1:36 pm
ClaRivka wrote:
tapestries is ok so far

That about sums it up.

raizs

Post Mon, May 11 2009, 1:55 pm
I'm a serial addict, even if theyre awful
Currently dont get Hamodia
Love Green Fences - it has all the elements of good fiction, even without the story line: well written, well-developed characters (you feel you know them, but the author doesnt have to describe it to you straight out, you learn it thru theyre quotes and actions), and it does 'something' to you - everyone can relate to it somehow or another, even if the exact scenario has never happened to them.

Bashinda basically said my thoughts re Taking Flight and Tapestries, so while I read them both, I usually roll my eyes thru them. In general, with Binah - theyre very proud of attacking 'issues' relevant to the frum community, but pay more attention to the topic than how its actually done (like, as if they plan on publishing a list one day of the 'issues' they 'attacked') - not enough focus on making things well-balanced, palatable, professional. I find much of it very preachy, condescending, and an insult to intelligent readers. Although once in a while theres something good, its definitely not consistent enough.

willow

Post Mon, May 11 2009, 2:16 pm
Bashinda same here I don't get the mag. I have a friend that sometimes gives me her old ones and thats the only serial I really want to know what happens.

Mama Bear

Post Fri, Jun 12 2009, 12:58 pm
So how do you all like how GreenFences is progressing?

Loved Windows to Courage in Hamodia this week, and the junior one too.

I really like the new serial in the main Mishpacha. Dov Haller is great.

rgk

Post Mon, Jun 15 2009, 9:04 pm
I don't get any of them Sad but I read them from time to time at friends. I was considering going out and buying the book one time (tapestries) b/c I was so curious how it turns out. Also, I find it very interesting that almost every jewish novel these days focuses on shalom bayis problem. Any thoughts on that?

ClaRivka

Post Mon, Jun 15 2009, 10:01 pm
I'm loving Green Fences. It'll end soon tho.

I'm not a fan of Dov Haller, his last story black and white totally turned me off of his writing.

msym

Post Mon, Jun 15 2009, 10:51 pm
ClaRivka wrote:
tapestries is ok so far

ditto. I mean I like taking flight but it makes me feel like I wanna wring "ruchomas" neck cuz the ordeal seams shlepped out. could be im not understanding adn sensitive enough

Blair

Post Mon, Jun 15 2009, 11:25 pm
Green Fences but I agree enough already it's like being on a roller coaster. There is no more to be said. I read it before anything else each week.

BusyBeeMommy

Post Mon, Jun 15 2009, 11:32 pm
I cannot stand Dov Haller's stories anymore. If you haven't noticed, all of his characters are men who are battered by their wives and fathers. Sounds like he himself has got those issues.

ClaRivka

Post Mon, Jun 15 2009, 11:37 pm
BusyBeeMommy wrote:
I cannot stand Dov Haller's stories anymore. If you haven't noticed, all of his characters are men who are battered by their wives and fathers. Sounds like he himself has got those issues.

Haha, u rright!
well u kno what they say..write abt what you know..

Aidelmom

Post Tue, Jun 16 2009, 2:45 am
ClaRivka wrote:
BusyBeeMommy wrote:

Haha, u rright!
well u kno what they say..write abt what you know..

oh my that is nasty.. hope is wife/mother is not on the site..

sarahd

Post Tue, Jun 16 2009, 5:51 am
Blair wrote:
Green Fences but I agree enough already it's like being on a roller coaster. There is no more to be said. I read it before anything else each week.

I agree that Green Fences has worn out its welcome already. It should have ended a month ago. But I don't think it's a roller coaster - that would imply that there's still some excitement in the story. It's just a song that has no end.
Page 1 of 8   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room