Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Which of the current serial stories are you following?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

life'sgreat

Post Sun, Dec 27 2009, 7:55 pm
I find it funny that people don't remember details such as the fact that Etka Gittel started off writing in Binah before she even got engaged etc..

But then I'm a sucker for details.
Ima'la wrote:
Anyone remember the one about the parents who send all their kids off to camp...and then go back to their spying job? I loved it!
That was one of the only stories from her that had me completely baffled. I really didn't chap what she was trying to say, or what was happening.

bashinda

Post Sun, Dec 27 2009, 8:25 pm
Thanks to the person who sent the link to the picture of Etka Gittel Reich! I've also been saving a lot of her stories although I didn't save the one about the iraq war vet. I had completely forgotten the one about the chumash on the train. Was it a shemos? I have it saved somewhere and even got my husband to read it. That was so clever. And the anti-grav skirts.

I liked Cloak and Diaper even though I can't find any possible message besides that this particular couple had a very interesting parnassa. I liked how her kitchen was where everything was hidden away.

I really hope she publishes her stories.

msym

Post Sun, Dec 27 2009, 8:41 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
You guys are brilliant you remember every one of her stories!!1 I only remember the serial stories.

I loved how she incorporated R' Yaakov Yosef Herman, and Shmuel Kunda's "WhenZaidy Was Young 2" in theh story. It made it so much real - and more meta. I waqs giggling.

smeone should direct her over to imamother!

I know~!!!! I was rollllllling when I saw she wrote about that-she is truly truly amazing

msym

Post Sat, Jan 09 2010, 10:41 pm
I just loved Etka Gittels Historical Fiction "The Covenant" in this past weeks Binah. In my opinion- you really feel what the characters are feeling when she writes...I truly enjoy such quality writing!

5S5Sr7z3

Post Sat, Jan 09 2010, 11:15 pm
None - the public library's cheaper than buying those magazines.

ClaRivka

Post Sat, Jan 09 2010, 11:32 pm
I guess I'm the only one that feels that to be transported to another time should not be done with so many words?
There is hardly any dialogue...

chocolate fondue

Post Wed, Jan 13 2010, 4:07 pm
Who read this week's Shortchanged? do you think this story is ever gonna have a happy ending? The title is so foreboding!
Anyway, what did she make Blanche go be in a car accident for? Unless it somehow gets Morris a job as a doctor eventually.
Whatever, just venting!

chavamom

Post Wed, Jan 13 2010, 7:17 pm
I can't believe they left us with that cliff hanger.

soulful music

Post Wed, Jan 13 2010, 8:46 pm
chocolate fondue wrote:
Who read this week's Shortchanged? do you think this story is ever gonna have a happy ending? The title is so foreboding!
Anyway, what did she make Blanche go be in a car accident for? Unless it somehow gets Morris a job as a doctor eventually.
Whatever, just venting!

I also thought that it might lead to him getting a job as a doctor.

What about shattered glass. Huvi and her DH annoyed me....he'll nebach have to go work...how tragic.

ILOVELIFE

Post Thu, Jan 14 2010, 5:59 pm
I REALLY loved Shattered Glass int eh beginning and am not enjoying it the last few weeks. She's such a talented writer and creative soul that I suspect she's somehow being restricted in her writing and it's showing. I keep saying I think the story line changed and that's why it's like this. I still buy it every week to see what's happening but now it doesn't have to be first thing Wed morning-- I can handle waiting until Shabbos.......

Shortchanged I didn't read this week's yet. The last few weeks were gr8. So Blanche gets into an accident? Oh no!!!! Why do all these terrible things happen to the same person? Is that because that's what real life is all about ?! S/times I like fiction to be like that and s/times I feel like I want s/thing better for the character.

Tapestries is getting more stupid by the day. It was stupid, then it became interesting and then stupid again. Oh well.

Who is following the new Hamodia seriel by Henya Myer? I loved her book Exiles of Crocodile Island-- I shld really read the seriel

realeez

Post Mon, Feb 22 2010, 6:26 am
Anyone else realize that the lady Blanche met on the subway was a character that Etka Gitel Schwartz wrote about last year in a mini series?

kalsee

Post Mon, Feb 22 2010, 7:38 am
Oh yes!! that was very clever.

ILOVELIFE

Post Mon, Feb 22 2010, 8:15 am
What are your thoughts on Sara Wiederblank's new novel (yes that is her real name!)

tweety99

Post Mon, Feb 22 2010, 9:16 am
so far so good! its early days yet though... we'l have to see how it unravels!

blossoming flower

Post Tue, Mar 02 2010, 10:06 pm
I vote for Shortchanged! It's definitely the best serial out there now! I'm totally hooked on it. I think it is so well written and soooo interesting. I totally feel like I'm living back then. And I love the romantic part of it Wink

chocolate fondue

Post Thu, Mar 04 2010, 3:57 pm
I think EGS is actually starting to pull it all together now. Now you realize why she made Blanche lose her job at Macy's. I hate being left on a cliff-hanger though - I want to know what Blanche says to Morris (when the elephant gets off her sternum Wink

chaylizi

Post Thu, Mar 04 2010, 4:06 pm
just shattered glass. I can't start stories in the middle.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Mar 04 2010, 9:00 pm
chavamom wrote:
I haven't gotten the HaModia yet this week. I can't believe that they wrapped it up without resolving the Sammy issues????

I just saw this random post. I was SURE that Sammy was going to be Shmiel's long lost grandson.

ILOVELIFE

Post Fri, Mar 05 2010, 9:09 am
chocolate fondue wrote:
I think EGS is actually starting to pull it all together now. Now you realize why she made Blanche lose her job at Macy's. I hate being left on a cliff-hanger though - I want to know what Blanche says to Morris (when the elephant gets off her sternum Wink

I think the last chapter is next week or the week after and it's gonna be awesome....and after that chapter she's doing s/thing awesome...look out for it!

chavamom

Post Fri, Mar 05 2010, 11:05 am
chocolate fondue wrote:

Yeah, my girls were like "oh, come on....she was supposed to realize he wants to marry her from THAT?"
Page 6 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room