Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Ratio of Kids to Playgroup Teacher

amother

Post Sun, May 10 2009, 10:17 pm
I'm looking into different playgroups for my child & wanted to know what is a good ratio of teacher to child. One playgroup I'm leaning towards only has 1 teacher. Do you think 6-7 kids is too many? How many do your kids' playgroups have?

amother

Post Sun, May 10 2009, 10:20 pm
By playgroup, do you mean daycare? In someone's home? Are they licensed? I wouldn't want just one person for that many kids, if you mean a daycare situation. For an hour or two, fine. For all day? That's a lot. Who is watching the kids when she's changing one or has to leave the room for a few minutes?

amother

Post Sun, May 10 2009, 10:22 pm
what age are you talking aobut. the law where I am states one teacher to six students 2 years of age. on the other hand I would base it more on the teacher. for example I do babysitting. I have x amount of kids bc thats all I can handel. some moms think its alot. some realize that I knwo my limits and are very happy. so I would base it on the teachers abilty to handle that amount of children more than the ratio.

Marion

Post Mon, May 11 2009, 1:49 am
A playgroup is generally a group of children supervised by one or two of the mothers in the group. If you're talking about drop off care then you're talking about daycare. One to 6 or one to 7 (max!) would make me happy for under two year olds.

RachelEve14

Post Mon, May 11 2009, 2:17 am
I'm in EY and for private home daycare the normal seems to be 4 to 1 for infants (between 3 months and 9 months when starting out, and finishing up the year 11 months later). For older kids (turning 1 in Sept. though 2.5 or so) the normal ratio is 6 to 1, sometimes the person will have a 7th some times, but 6 full time seems to be the norm.

yOungM0mmy

Post Mon, May 11 2009, 7:31 am
In england the ratio is 1 to 4 for under 3, 1 to 8 for 3 and over, and not one person alone in case of emergencies, the kids are not left alone.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics