Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
What types of cuisine
1  2  Next

Seraph

Post Tue, May 12 2009, 2:50 pm
What types of cuisine do you enjoy? Which do you enjoy most? Do you cook all the types you like, or are some just from restaurants?
Italian?
Heimish/hungarian?
Sfardic? Any particular region?
Indian?
Chinese?
Greek?
Japanese?
Mexican?
American (like french fries and hot dogs)?

I have to say, all of the above, but heimish the least. I like ultra-flavorful. I like chinese and japanese the best. My husband doesnt mind them but doesnt really like them either.

I pretty much have to say I've never met a cuisine that I don't like. Havent tasted everything out there, but I enjoy all different types of cooking, in different moods.

DefyGravity

Post Tue, May 12 2009, 2:52 pm
I cook a lot of:
Chinese
Thai
Mexican
Indian

Chocoholic

Post Tue, May 12 2009, 2:54 pm
I love Italian, french fries etc, middle eastern (esp Israeli, Greek and Persian). I am not too fond of Asian but my DH LOOOOOVES Chinese. He is pretty fine with the rest, he actually loves all of the above, but chinese is by far his fave.

Fabulous

Post Tue, May 12 2009, 2:55 pm
My favorite is chinese but it's a little bit of a patchke for me to make so I rarely do. I cook a lot of heimish (ETA, hungarian hemish for clarity purposes) as well as American. I enjoy Japanese food but would have no clue how to make it.

Mexican is way too spicy and doesn't agree with my stomach (not just now, but usually)

Last edited by Fabulous on Tue, May 12 2009, 3:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ruchel

Post Tue, May 12 2009, 3:11 pm
French, Italian, Chinese, American... I like things in most cuisines. I have a fondness for Jewish cuisines, I never refuse to try a typical dish.

For me, heimish is (Jewish) Polish Wink for another yid it may be Persian, Alsatian or Italian Wink

There are as many Sefardi & Mizrachi cuisines as there are countries, well wait no, as there are cities! Generally too much fish, olive and spicy for me. But some of my favorite specialties are Sefardi, family dishes my grandma cooks. That would make them Salonician, with many stuff picked up on the road from Spain to Greece.

Did you know kneidel comes from French quenelle, and chulent from chaud-lent? Many say they were picked up on the road from France to Germany, the alsatian Jews are very proud of it LOL

chocolate moose

Post Tue, May 12 2009, 3:27 pm
Fabulous wrote:
My favorite is chinese but it's a little bit of a patchke for me to make so I rarely do.

That's funny, I consider that an easy dinner !

Fabulous

Post Tue, May 12 2009, 3:29 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
Fabulous wrote:
My favorite is chinese but it's a little bit of a patchke for me to make so I rarely do.

all my "authentic" (american authentic) recipes are a lot of work. I do have a few easy recipes that are chinese "style" but it's not the same.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, May 12 2009, 3:31 pm
True Chinese (we should really be PC here and say Asian) have a lot of rice. That's certainly not hard to make.

Fabulous

Post Tue, May 12 2009, 3:35 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
True Chinese (we should really be PC here and say Asian) have a lot of rice. That's certainly not hard to make.

that's why I said authentic "american chinese" because I meant the type that you have from a restaurant.

DefyGravity

Post Tue, May 12 2009, 3:38 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
Fabulous wrote:

Like anything, it depends on which recipe you make. Chinese cuisine incorporates a wide range of different styles and recipes, so some can be hard to make while others are easy.

With any food you make, one can find an easy recipe that cuts out a lot of steps, or something that's more intricate.

I think it's annoying to dip chicken in corn starch, then fry it, and then make the sauce and vegetables, etc. However, I've found recipes that are a lot easier and don't require multiple steps, or I've simply eliminated more of the pachke.

Raisin

Post Tue, May 12 2009, 3:54 pm
I cook a lot of

italian (def favourite)
british
american
ashkenazi jewish (especially for shabbos)
middle eastern/sefardi (I have a great cookbook called the book of Jewish food, loads of yummy sefardi recipes)

although sefardi food tastes better cooked by a sefardi. I am just not that good at it!

cookielady

Post Tue, May 12 2009, 3:57 pm
Chinese
Japanese
Italian
American

(Shh, every once and a while I crave and sometimes make stuff that the only category I could put it in is Red Neck.)

chocolate moose

Post Tue, May 12 2009, 4:02 pm
DefyGravity wrote:
Like anything, it depends on which recipe you make. Chinese cuisine incorporates a wide range of different styles and recipes, so some can be hard to make while others are easy. With any food you make, one can find an easy recipe that cuts out a lot of steps, or something that's more intricate. I think it's annoying to dip chicken in corn starch, then fry it, and then make the sauce and vegetables, etc. However, I've found recipes that are a lot easier and don't require multiple steps, or I've simply eliminated more of the pachke.

Right. A stir fry and rice from the steamer is my idea of an easy, quick dinner.

simcha7

Post Tue, May 12 2009, 4:13 pm
I love nearly all types of cuisines. My favourite are Italian, Greek (my roots are in the Mediterranean) Far Eastern (Japanese, Thai) and Mexican. Someone sadi they love Japanese cooking as do I but does not know how to make it. I am actually quite adept at it and make it very often since it s quick, easy and healthy. I am also a desserts freak! LOL I will post two convenient, balanced meals that children specially enjoy.

Chicken Enchilladas (btw si algien aqui habla espanol o lo necesita hablar puded hacerlo conmigo)

8 large corn tortillas
2 tsp vegetable oil
1 medium onino, finely chopped
2 cloves gralic, crushed
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
680 jar Passata or canned tomatoes
1 tbsp coca powder (chiili and chocolate area tyipical Mexican combination)
For the filling:
200g roast chicken with Sweet Chilli sauce (bouught or made)
195, sweetcorn
200g grated non-dairy cheese

Preheat the oven to 200C. Wrap the tortillas in foil and place int he oven for 15 minutes to warm through while you make the sauce.
Heat the oil and gently fry the onion for 4-5 minutes until softened. Add the garlic, paprika, tomato sauce and cocoa and simmer gently for 10 minutes. Tip half the sauce into the base of a large, shallow, oblong, ovenproof dihs.
Assemble the 8 enchilladas by putting a little bit of chicken in a lline down the centre of each tortilla, together with some sweetcorn and a sprinklling of cheese (reserve a little to use as topping). Roll up each tortilla, tucking in both ends when rolling, and place in the dish seam-side down. Scatter over the remaining enchilada sauce and scatter with the reserved cheese.
Place in the oven for 10-15 minutes until the cheese has melted and the sauce is bubbling. Serve with salad leaves and cucumber slices.

Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies
2 large bananas
175 unslated butter, cut into pieces
175g cane sugar
2 medium eggs, beaten
175g plain flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
100g oats
200g dark chocolate broken into 1cm pieces
For the hot chocolate:
600ml semi-skimmed milk
3 tbsp Cocoa
Whipped crem

Preheat the oven to 180C. Lightly greae 2 large baking trays. Pell the bananas and slice. Place in a food processor with the butter, sugar and egges and process until smooth. Add the flour, baking powder and oats and blend until well combined. Transfer to a mixing bowl and stir in 150g of the chocolate chunks.
Drop heaped teaspoonfuls of the mixture onto baking trays spacing them well apart. Bake for 10-20 minutes, moving the trays around once during cooking until the cookies are lightly golden ans still soft to the touch. Let cool.
For the hot chocolate heat the milk in a small pan, stir in the reamining chocolate chunks and the drinking chocolate. Whisk gently with aballoon whisk until the chocolate has melted then pour into 4 small cups. Top with a swirl of the cream and dust with a litttle extra drinking chocolate.

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 12 2009, 4:17 pm
I too love really flavorful foods. I especially enjoy Japanese, Thai, Middle Eastern, Indian, Greek, and dairy Italian...

Last edited by ra_mom on Tue, May 12 2009, 9:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

dimples

Post Tue, May 12 2009, 5:20 pm
love middle eastern, mexican, american, italian!

Tova

Post Tue, May 12 2009, 6:32 pm
Is it cheating if I call anything that is stir fried w/ soy sauce and added to rice "Chinese?"

elf123

Post Tue, May 12 2009, 7:02 pm
cookielady wrote:

(Shh, every once and a while I crave and sometimes make stuff that the only category I could put it in is Red Neck.)

I must say, Cookie, I'm intrigued...besides for the perennial redneck favorite, "Road Kill A L'orange," (I already have that recipe) what else would you like to share with us?

leaht

Post Tue, May 12 2009, 7:12 pm
simcha7, pues quien eres?

ss321

Post Tue, May 12 2009, 8:24 pm
gosh fun thread! I must say....probably italian and sefardic cuisine are my favorite. those are the things I try to pull out the recipe books for most often. heimish food-I assume you mean things like shlishkes and yerushalmikugel right? well I make all those for shabbos, but try to spice things up (ie do different things) during the week when I can!
neitehr of us is very fond of japanese which is good.
chinese either. rarely make chinese type things
thai-indian type (IMO- more spicy than chinese, more curry, less MSG!!!) we like too.
mostly though, I make things that are "american" like hot dogs and meat loaf because they are the easiest and the kids like them the best
(does spagetti and meatballs count as italian though lol??)
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen