Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Low muscle tone

amother

Post Wed, May 13 2009, 8:19 pm
how can you tell if a 2.5 y.o. has low muscle tone?

mira mira

Post Wed, May 13 2009, 8:38 pm
my 2 y.o. ds has low muscle tone throughout his body. he's still drooling (which is a bit odd for this age) and cant use the tongue functionally yet to form any words. also, for a long time he couldn't do simple things like stack toys, or put pegs in a pegboard (he's still working on that actually). my pt, ot and st are constantly telling me this about him, but he has definitely improved within the past few months, mainly due to their help. if this is a genuine concern for you, speak to ur doc and have ur child evaluated. as my speech therapist pointed out, this is the age that's most crucial in their development, so I think u should help him out as much as possible.

lots of luck!

flowerpower

Post Wed, May 13 2009, 9:42 pm
What makes you think he is low muscle toned?

Hands and feet are flabby, hard time doing physical stuff like running, jumping, climbing..

amother

Post Wed, May 13 2009, 9:45 pm
flowerpower wrote:
What makes you think he is low muscle toned?

Hands and feet are flabby, hard time doing physical stuff like running, jumping, climbing..

His babysitter mentioned it to me today What I havent noticed anything including what you asked Scratching Head This is why I am asking how can you tell?

Pineapple

Post Wed, May 13 2009, 9:50 pm
Low Muscle Tone

amother

Post Wed, May 13 2009, 9:50 pm
more clumsy in running/walking/jumping or in other gross motor activities, plays a lot sitting propped on one hand or lying down, may drool when concentrating, overall "floppiness" when being held (just off the top of my head)
Call an EI agency and ask for an evaluation - doesn't hurt! Where are you located?

amother

Post Wed, May 13 2009, 9:52 pm
there is no clumsieness at all b"h the only "symptom" that he has is drooling which the ped is prob caused by teething

flowerpower

Post Wed, May 13 2009, 10:06 pm
Drooling can be an oral motor issue-speech therapy related. If it's a new thing then it can be from teething.

Ask your babysitting why she thinks so.

Strudel

Post Wed, May 13 2009, 10:13 pm
In addition to the above you might also find that he gets tired easily.

amother

Post Wed, May 13 2009, 10:13 pm
fp - she said soemthing about not holding too many toys Confused

amother

Post Wed, May 13 2009, 10:14 pm
Strudel wrote:
In addition to the above you might also find that he gets tired easily.

No he doesnt

flowerpower

Post Wed, May 13 2009, 10:55 pm
Just because he isn't a juggler? That is not one of the big low muscle toned signs.

pecan

Post Wed, May 13 2009, 11:01 pm
Kids don't drool from teething at 2.5 years old. They should have gotten all their teeth a while back. Drooling is from low muscle tone - and so might poor articulation.
How is his coloring? When he colors with a crayon, does the color come out strongly?
Can he do fine motor things?
Can he feed himself?

Imaonwheels

Post Thu, May 14 2009, 8:26 am
Get him tested. My gs had very low muscle tone and they did an excersize routine with him every day. He is 2.5 and has no sign of it now.

ChossidMom

Post Thu, May 14 2009, 8:31 am
My daughter was diagnosed with low muscle tone.
We have found that giving her ample omega 3 supplements helps alot.

ShakleeMom

Post Thu, May 14 2009, 9:44 am
ChossidMom wrote:

How do you get it into her?!?!!!!

chocolate moose

Post Thu, May 14 2009, 10:06 am
I have low muscle tone and I lead a rich and fulfilling life. No, I'm not a ballerine; I'm not the strongest one at the gym or have the most stamina, but I work out on my level and that's what life is all about, isn't it? Working on yourself ?

amother

Post Thu, May 14 2009, 12:03 pm
pecan wrote:
Kids don't drool from teething at 2.5 years old. They should have gotten all their teeth a while back. Drooling is from low muscle tone - and so might poor articulation.
How is his coloring? When he colors with a crayon, does the color come out strongly?
Can he do fine motor things?
Can he feed himself?

I was told the drooling was from teething a while ago embarrassed his articulation is b"h fine, he colors strongly, fine motor? give some examples please. Yes he can feed himself
Thank you for your help everyone

ChossidMom

Post Fri, May 15 2009, 4:29 am
ShakleeMom wrote:
ChossidMom wrote:

How do you get it into her?!?!!!!

Ahhh, good question. We used to give her fish oil while she slept, in a bottle with something very sweet (she's 5 years old). But now I have an Omega 3 supplement which is tasteless. It's made from the sage plant which is grown organically in Israel. Each capsule has 500 m"g of ALA (the vegetarian form of omega 3) and 500 m"l of sage oil which has other amazing properties. It has no taste, so I prick a capsule and squeeze it onto her sandwich which she take to school. No burping fish oil either. Also, none of the toxic metals which are present in small amounts in every fish oil. (the oil also has Badatz - an added plus)

I see the difference in her facial muscles which can be droopy when she doesn't take the omega 3.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics