Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
What makes a good SEIT?
Previous  1  2

pecan

Post Tue, May 19 2009, 10:20 pm
"A lot of the time, SEIT's are recommended for regular children who just need a little extra undivided attention in the classroom. "

To clarify, you will never find a child who merely needs undivided attention getting SEIT. There are goals on the IEP (Individualized Education Plan) to help the child meet expected standards for her age. To qualify for SEIT, the evaluation must show some sort of delay.

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 19 2009, 10:27 pm
pecan wrote:
"A lot of the time, SEIT's are recommended for regular children who just need a little extra undivided attention in the classroom. "

To clarify, you will never find a child who merely needs undivided attention getting SEIT. There are goals on the IEP (Individualized Education Plan) to help the child meet expected standards for her age. To qualify for SEIT, the evaluation must show some sort of delay.

You're right. Thanks for clarifying!
We are looking into getting a SEIT for our daughter, who has a lot of sensory integration issues, feeding issues, and mood swings. These issues get in the way in a classroom setting.
I guess I prefer convincing myself that dd just needs "undivided attention", rather than the issues listed above Sad

pecan

Post Tue, May 19 2009, 10:28 pm
ra_mom - it sounds like you should look into occupational therapy as well.

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 19 2009, 10:33 pm
pecan wrote:
ra_mom - it sounds like you should look into occupational therapy as well.

Dd is in Early Intervention right now, and currently has occupational therapy 3x a week, feeding therapy 2x a week, and sees a nutritional therapist 2x a month.
When she was evaluated by the Board of Ed, she wasn't evaluated for special ed, since her playgroup teacher always claimed that she was doing "so much better." But when I went to playgroup for dd's 3rd birthday, I walked out in tears. Dd was not doing "so much better". I asked her Morah if dd acts like this all the time. She said yes, but that I should not worry.
I'm so upset! I am her mother and I NEED to know these things! I thought that dd was ready for her nursery classroom setting, and now I need to try to get new evaluations for special ed/SEIT.

pecan

Post Tue, May 19 2009, 10:42 pm
Especially if she is starting school next year, it would be very helpful if you have a good SEIT. Hopefully she will be approved, and things will get better.

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 19 2009, 10:44 pm
pecan wrote:
Especially if she is starting school next year, it would be very helpful if you have a good SEIT. Hopefully she will be approved, and things will get better.

Amen! Thank you. Do you have any recommendations for good SEITs that work in BP?

Last edited by ra_mom on Mon, Mar 01 2010, 12:03 am; edited 1 time in total

pecan

Post Tue, May 19 2009, 10:50 pm
What is BYBP?

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 19 2009, 10:56 pm

Last edited by ra_mom on Mon, Mar 01 2010, 12:03 am; edited 1 time in total

pecan

Post Tue, May 19 2009, 11:01 pm
I don't know who works there. I assume it goes through yeled v'yalda? I work for a different agency. The SEIT's I do know that work for yeled v'yalda I would not recommend, because I don't think they're that great.

Mama Bear

Post Tue, May 19 2009, 11:10 pm
My son's SEIT is from YVY, but we were extremely fortunate because he is AMAZING. he's way better than my son's rebbes.

amother

Post Fri, May 22 2009, 3:34 pm
de-goldy, Curious, from a teacher's standpoint, what in your opinion makes an incompetent SEIT??-flip side of the original question. I personally feel alot of kids are given SEIT who don't need it. Sure, goals are given in the IEP, maybe they're contrived, because I've seen children who seem to be on par with the class, academically and socially having SEIT;s. I believe it's a new fad in some schools!

amother

Post Fri, May 22 2009, 6:25 pm
amother wrote:
de-goldy, Curious, from a teacher's standpoint, what in your opinion makes an incompetent SEIT??-flip side of the original question. I personally feel alot of kids are given SEIT who don't need it. Sure, goals are given in the IEP, maybe they're contrived, because I've seen children who seem to be on par with the class, academically and socially having SEIT;s. I believe it's a new fad in some schools!
I thougt the same thing, just as a parent, and was wondering exactly the same thing as you. I didnt want to post my question though because I was afraid I would insult a parent of a kid who is using hte SEIT program. but there are so many "normal" on par kids who dont seem to have any major (or even minor!) issues and they have SEIT's so what gives? why do they qualify and do they really need it and we just dont see the whole pic?

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Thu, May 28 2009, 9:31 am
To clarify, a child can only get SEIT if he is 3-5 years old in NY. To qualify for services, he needs to show at least a 33% delay in one area, or 25% delay in 2 areas. If the child only has OT issues, he will probably only get occupational therapy. But if the issues are cognitive or social, he may get SEIT. You have to find out which agency your school uses. My son was just approved for speech therapy (not SEIT). For example, he was evaluated by Eval Care and has started services with Yeled VYalda. However, when he switches to yeshiva next year, he will probably get services through OMNI.

amother

Post Sun, Feb 28 2010, 10:30 pm
Question For experienced SEIT"s of 4-5 year olds: I'm a SEIT of a child who keeps up with the class, knows letters and numbers and just is a bit unfocused at times, a bit in his own world. What activities would you do when you take this kid out of class? What are great toys/activities for SEIT one on one time??

amother

Post Sun, Feb 28 2010, 11:06 pm
I think some sort of bingo game would be good, because he needs to stay focused in order to play.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 02 2010, 5:49 am
Still looking for fun one on one activities wih 4 year old and great reinforcers. What do you use often that really captures these kids attention?

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sun, Mar 07 2010, 12:28 am
amother, I work with that age, too, as a seit...do you want to message me??
for one, I have this activity called "mighty minds" where the child needs to make pictures out of shapes. it's a good focusing activity

amother

Post Tue, Mar 23 2010, 9:58 pm
I have mighty minds. The pieces move around alot. Do you Brocha V'hatzlocha have the magnetic mighty minds? Do you do a couple of cards in a row or only one at a sitting and then move on to something else? Do you make up arts and crafts to do that go with ,lets say, a story you are reading, or just bring in ready made stuff you buy? I have zingo and other matching games, puzzles, play doh, what else is out there? I guess I should buy sequencing cards, beads for patterning etc.
I'm really looking for great games and activities......

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Tue, Mar 23 2010, 10:55 pm
I don't have magnetic mighty minds, but I do have a different similar thing made my Melissa & Doug that is magnetic. Also for the Mighty Minds, I've made 5 squares and try to get him to do 5 of them in a sitting -- giving a check after each one so he sees "there's an end."
I have a similar 'issue' with a 4 year old student - working on focusing. I also do following directions - whether it's coloring (color two stars blue) or less often, something in a gym setting. You have a lot of great ideas yourself!!

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Tue, Mar 23 2010, 10:56 pm
I don't have magnetic mighty minds, but I do have a different similar thing made my Melissa & Doug that is magnetic. Also for the Mighty Minds, I've made 5 squares and try to get him to do 5 of them in a sitting -- giving a check after each one so he sees "there's an end."
I have a similar 'issue' with a 4 year old student - working on focusing. I also do following directions - whether it's coloring (color two stars blue) or less often, something in a gym setting. You have a lot of great ideas yourself!!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics