Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Babysitter problems

Post Tue, Jan 04 2005, 2:42 pm
Help! My mother picked my daughter up from the babysitter today and asked if she could take some juice (for my daughter) with her because she had to run some errands before going home. The babysitter said she was out of milk and OJ, but gave my mother grape juice. She apologized and said she was going to pick up some more later today. Now, my babysitter provides all food and drinks for the kids (except for formula, which my daughter is off of). AND this is the second time that I've heard that this happened. What should I do? Be Dan L'kaf Z'chus that this really is the second time it's happened and maybe she JUST ran out of milk/juice? HELP!

ForeverYoung

Post Tue, Jan 04 2005, 3:05 pm
ask other mothers if it ever happened to them

how many kids does this babysitter watch?

does she have an assistant?

did you check here references?

good luck!

rydys

Post Tue, Jan 04 2005, 6:16 pm
I'm missing something--what was the problem here? You didn't want your daughter to have grape juice?

Post Wed, Jan 05 2005, 8:59 am
Last night my dh and I were discussing it. I'm not sure how grape juice holds up to other juices in terms of healthiness. But I always felt that AJ or OJ were healthier (anyone know?). And I definitely don't want her going w/o milk all day!
The babysitter does have an assistant part of the day- when the bulk of kids are there (at most, is 7, I think). and I spoke to two people who used her last year who said good things. I also know some of the mothers that send now, so maybe I'll speak to them.
I was planning on moving my daughter somewhere else after pesach, so maybe I'll stick it out till then, cuz she loves this babysitter so much.

ForeverYoung

Post Wed, Jan 05 2005, 9:02 am
greape juice is much healthier - itt carries antioxidants & elements that normalise cardiovascular sys.
it's more expencive & therefore not as common as oj or aj

dina

Post Wed, Jan 05 2005, 9:18 am
Grape juice needs a more stringent hechsher than other fruit juices and many people avoid products that contain grape juice as an ingredient. I'm not sure if it's just in Lubavitch. I thought that's the reason you were so concerned, maybe not...

ForeverYoung

Post Wed, Jan 05 2005, 9:25 am
Quote:
many people avoid products that contain grape juice as an ingredient.

not if it has a proper hechsher....

even thoug there are products that are kosher by default, we still try to buy things w/ a proper hechsher, as B'H, they're freely avail.

But greapguice has very stringent halachos, so it (or any product w/ it) needs a prpoer hechsher

Last edited by ForeverYoung on Wed, Jan 05 2005, 9:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

rydys

Post Wed, Jan 05 2005, 1:46 pm
Juice in general is not good for kids. The AAP recommendation is _at most_ 4 ounces a day, preferably none. When fruit is made into juice it loses most of its vitamins, etc and mostly what goes in the juice is sugar. Apple juice is the worst, grape juice is actually one of the best.

gryp

Post Thu, Jan 06 2005, 5:09 am
what about 100% juice with 100% vitamin c and others- calcium, folate?
thats what we get, and anyway we always mix it with lots of water.

rydys

Post Thu, Jan 06 2005, 5:50 am
the juice has still lost the nutritional value of the fruit, even if it is 100% juice. Giving it for the added vitamins I guess is like giving a multivitamin, but I'd still limit it to 4 ounces/day. What is wrong with drinking water? My kids drink water or selter with a few drops of lime juice. Juice is a shabbos treat.

gryp

Post Thu, Jan 06 2005, 5:57 am
nothings wrong with water, but personally I can get sick of water very fast.

hardwrknmom

Post Thu, Jan 06 2005, 5:59 am
rydys- my daughter only drinks water- (not that I wont give her OJ sometimes) and loves it! She has 3 bottles of milk every day.

0613- I know how important milk and juices are- (sorry NOT Grape juice!) I think if it was one day that the babysitter didn't have milk or OJ she should've at least told you, this way you could bring it for your child. Not having milk or Juice a second time....makes me think if she's even feeding the child????

Pickle Lady

Post Thu, Jan 06 2005, 7:00 am
Orange juice isn't any better than grape juice. Its just that toddlers should drink some milk in thier. Next time tell the babysiter to give your daughter water if she runs out of juice. Personally I don't think the juice is something to be upset about.

raizy

Post Thu, Mar 31 2005, 6:55 pm
sorry I get where u are coming from . I also babysit and I make sure that I have enough juice and milk and food and bread in the house....

so if this persson ran out of the basic propoducts I would ask and see if she is serving anything else a whole day....
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics