Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
Possible gluten allergy-11 month old

lech lecha08

Post Tue, Jun 30 2009, 6:42 am
The 2 times my baby has had wheat cereal, within hours, her tush was bright red and splotchy and she was screaming arching her back. We're getting her tested in about 2 weeks but in the meantime, I'm looking for ideas of things she can eat.
She is starting to get bored of rice cereal, hated the corn cereal and had no interest in rice noodles or rice crackers. Plus, she's not the best eater to begin with.
All suggestions welcome

tovasmom

Post Tue, Jun 30 2009, 6:59 am
What about oatmeal -- although you have to check that it is pure oats, which might require a trip to the health food store. Many oat products are contaminated with gluten.

Health is a Virture

Post Tue, Jul 07 2009, 12:35 pm
2 of my children are sensitive to wheat only (it appears) and so there are a host of other grains what can make or buy things with (spelt, barley, oats, rye--well, four to be exact ;-)). Why do you need to get the kid tested? she is obviously right now sensitive, so wait a few months and then try again.

also, your baby is too young to be tested for celiac....they need to be on gluten for like 6 months to a year, and I believe they usually wait till the child is 2.

what about giving meat or chicken? potatoes, bananas, eggs, yogurt, fruit, vegetables, cooked and raw, kasha, peas, lentils, beans (my baby's tushy at that age was sensitive to beans though)

lech lecha08

Post Tue, Jul 07 2009, 12:42 pm
Health is a Virture wrote:
2 of my children are sensitive to wheat only (it appears) and so there are a host of other grains what can make or buy things with (spelt, barley, oats, rye--well, four to be exact ;-)). Why do you need to get the kid tested? she is obviously right now sensitive, so wait a few months and then try again.

She's been having some weight and feeding issues and we've been going to a feeding clinic so the doctor in charge wanted to check for a wheat allergy for sure since we mentioned the possible problem.
This past week, we were surprised to discover she really likes barley.

health is a virture wrote:

what about giving meat or chicken? potatoes, bananas, eggs, yogurt, fruit, vegetables, cooked and raw, kasha, peas, lentils, beans (my baby's tushy at that age was sensitive to beans though)

We've been trying all that stuff but she's picky about textures sometimes and the speech therapist at the same clinic seemed to be running out of things to suggest since we were avoiding wheat

Health is a Virture

Post Tue, Jul 07 2009, 1:12 pm
lech lecha08 wrote:
and the speech therapist at the same clinic seemed to be running out of things to suggest since we were avoiding wheat

so what textures does she like? I may be able to think of more ideas if I know the proper texture....plus, if you are allowing gluten, just not wheat, there are scores of things you can make using the other grains.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics