Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Are you a Kohens wife?
1  2  Next

Are you a kohen's wife?
yes  
 15%  [ 7 ]
no  
 84%  [ 37 ]
Total Votes : 44

rainbow baby

Post Thu, Mar 23 2006, 3:27 pm
My husband is a Kohen. He became frum about 10 years ago. So he was not aware that a Kohen cannot walk under trees that overhang a non Jewish cemetry. He obviously knew about Jewish ones. Now I am a mother of three Kohanim boys I feel the responsibilty even more. Is there anything that I need to do or avoid with my little Kohamin. I've actually got a funny story the other day I was walking out of my house there are over hanging trees, we were walking along and then in the distance I saw a non Jewish funeral coming. I stopped and shouted at the kids run quickly. The people in the cars were looking at us as we ran back home. B"H we got back first. We must have looked a right picture. So please can I have some advice. Thanks.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Mar 23 2006, 3:34 pm
If no one answers you, I work with a Kohen and I'll ask him IYH.

PM me anytime.

Motek

Post Thu, Mar 23 2006, 3:35 pm
museums can be a problem if there are mummies

hospitals can be a problem with a pathology lab and morgue

with your first son, a pidyon ha'ben would not be done, so too in the future with your sons' firstborn sons

rainbow baby

Post Thu, Mar 23 2006, 3:36 pm
[quote="SaraG"]If no one answers you, I work with a Kohen and I'll ask him IYH.

PM me anytime.[/quote]

Thanks!!!

rainbow baby

Post Thu, Mar 23 2006, 3:39 pm
[quote="Motek"]museums can be a problem if there are mummies

hospitals can be a problem with a pathology lab and morgue

with your first son, a pidyon ha'ben would not be done, so too in the future with your sons' firstborn sons[/quote]

Thanks for your advice my first son would not have had a pidyon ha'ben as he was born by Ceasearn Section. As for the museums I believe that one where we live does have a mummy in it so I guess we will not be visiting there. The hopital where I have my babies have a morg attached to it, how do you go about it then, how does your husband visit you, etc....

youngmom

Post Thu, Mar 23 2006, 5:43 pm
My husband is a Kohen.
About hospitals... I know that we looked into the hospital I was going to give birth in to find out if the morgue is in the same wing/attached to the place where I was to deliver. B'h it was not. I was relieved!!!

youngmom

Post Thu, Mar 23 2006, 5:44 pm
If there's anyhting specific you'd like to know, I can ask my husband, no problem.

ny_ima

Post Thu, Mar 23 2006, 5:48 pm
Quote:
with your first son, a pidyon ha'ben would not be done

same applies to family of leviim; kohen levi yisroel

another poll comin up? Tongue Out

rainbow baby

Post Thu, Mar 23 2006, 6:18 pm
[quote="youngmom"]If there's anyhting specific you'd like to know, I can ask my husband, no problem.[/quote]

I don't really know what I am looking for really. As the kids are growing I am starting to feel this huge responsability about raising Kohanim. Probably sounds silly but I want to do everything right. Is there anything else missing from what I am doind. Basically avoiding cementries with overhanging trees. Museums and hospitals with morgs attached. Is that it. The other week I was walking with the kids and guess what a levaya went past there were overhanging trees I was devistated. Does anyone else feel like this when something like this happens?
The other thing is does it effect me when I am pregnant do I need to be careful because I might be carrying a Kohen?
I probably sound a little confused that's probable because I am!!!

Raisin

Post Thu, Mar 23 2006, 6:36 pm
No pidyan Haben applies to even your daughters firstborn sons, even if they marry a yisrael. My father is a Levi, and boy was my b-I-l (a mere israelite) disapointed when he found his brand new baby couldn't have a pidyan haben.

Thats why pidyan habens are so rare. (I have been to one in my life)

Crayon210

Post Thu, Mar 23 2006, 7:01 pm
I believe that if you're pregnant and know that you're for sure carrying a boy, there could be problems with certain activities as well.

rainbow baby

Post Thu, Mar 23 2006, 7:10 pm
Like what? When I was pregnant with the first I was training to be a midwife so I was working in hospitals and unfortunately there was a miscarraige, was I wrong for being in the hospital then? Yeah I now I cannot go back in time but it is important to know these things.

Crayon210

Post Thu, Mar 23 2006, 7:11 pm
Ask a rav!

rainbow baby

Post Thu, Mar 23 2006, 7:12 pm
[quote="ny_ima"][quote]with your first son, a pidyon ha'ben would not be done[/quote]

same applies to family of leviim; kohen levi yisroel

another poll comin up? Tongue Out[/quote]

I think the Kohanim wives are a bit outnumbered in your poll!!!! Very Happy Wink

shopaholic

Post Fri, Mar 24 2006, 10:15 am
In a way I'm glad my DH's not a kohen or Levi & me neither because DS"s Pidyon Haben is the first on my side of the family for a few generations & there won't be another so soon if my brothers marry bas kohanim or bas leviyim or their wives have c-sections or have girls first.

shanie5

Post Tue, Mar 28 2006, 10:40 pm
im the daughter of a kohen. I learned an interesting fact in the past year that bothered me until I just accepted it. a kohen cannot go to the funeral of a married sister.

I dont think the cemetery/overhanging trees applies to a non jewish funeral/cemetery. not 100% sure though.

in flying to israel, there are many times maisim in the cargo-for burial in eretz yisroel. el al planes are supposed to be built with specific stringencies that the hold for the mais is considered separate, but not sure about other airlines. so flying can cause problems too.

tport

Post Wed, Mar 29 2006, 1:19 pm
I'm the wife of a kohen and daughter of a kohen. It's funny I actually wanted to marry a kohen because my father is, not that I would have told a shadchan that, and I did. (found out on one of our first dates)
My husband told me to be careful when I'm expecting in case it is a boy. I also was told not to walk under the overhang of trees. Regarding flying- we asked a shaila and were told that most of the time you don't have to worry about it, depending on where you are flying from/ to. You don't have to ask if there is a casket in the plane, and if you don't know it is fine.
Concerning hospitals when giving birth, we were told my husband can be there for the birth, but shouldn't stay long when visiting. Here in E"Y they put up signs stating if a kohen can not enter the hospital. B"H it wasn't there when we went last time, or when I went to the hospital to register and to visit someone.
Hatlzacha raising your kohanim. Smile We're still waiting (have 2 little girls).

Ruchel

Post Wed, Apr 26 2006, 2:22 pm
Tport you are lucky. I'm a bas Kohen too, and I wanted to marry a Cohen if possible. But I met someone who fit all the other criteria, and I decided to let it go. I have never regretted it, my husband is just great. Very Happy

ButterflyGarden

Post Wed, Apr 26 2006, 2:36 pm
There is a book called The Kohen's Handbook, if anyone has it I'd love to know if its good. My husband is not a kohen.

elisecohen

Post Wed, Apr 26 2006, 2:37 pm
I'm a bas Kohen married to a Levi who's last name is Cohen--how's that? As one friend put it, "You married down but at least you kept it in the tribe!"

When I was single I had a very "kohenish" last name and people were always asking me if I was married to a kohen, (I'm bt so I'd be at shul without my parents) and I'd have to explain I was single and it was my maiden name--I think they were all excited about a new Kohen around who would duchen.

Actually we've brought my father along a little bit--he's very anti-Jewish observance despite being a Kohen brought up in NYC. He used to absolutely refuse to take an aliyah which would cause problems sometimes when there was no other Kohen in the shul--you're not supposed to give a non-Kohen the first aliyah if a Kohen is present. Now he'll take the aliyah if he's in shul with us for a simcha or something like that. So for our family that's progress. (Then at shul my FIL can have the Levi aliyah, too, and if we're at our shul my DH is the gabbai so all the men are up at the bima and it's very cute for me)
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics