Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Portrait pictures during 9 Days

MommyLuv

Post Thu, Jul 23 2009, 6:48 pm
I really don't think this is a halachic issue as much as hashkafic.

Do you think it's OK to take kids for photos during this time? I'm talking about a cheap place like JCPenney, not a 'real' photo shoot with an uspcale photographer.

Mimisinger

Post Thu, Jul 23 2009, 6:54 pm
I have no idea, but I have one friend who did it today and another who is doing it on Sunday...ask your LOR

Raisin

Post Thu, Jul 23 2009, 7:49 pm
why not? It's not exactly a fun trip.

Jabberwocky

Post Thu, Jul 23 2009, 7:52 pm
I would imagine it depends on whether you would be able to do it easily after the 9 days. if pushing it off means that you might lose the opportunity, couldn't you consider it a possible hefsek meruba and go with a clear conscience?

Jabberwocky

Post Thu, Jul 23 2009, 7:54 pm
ha, I meant hefsed meruba.... that was a freudian slip, I assure you! Wink

cookielady

Post Thu, Jul 23 2009, 7:54 pm
Raisin wrote:
why not? It's not exactly a fun trip.

That's an understatement!

amother

Post Thu, Jul 23 2009, 8:08 pm
Jabberwocky wrote:
ha, I meant hefsed meruba.... that was a freudian slip, I assure you! Wink

well, I need to thank you for that typo. You reminded me to do a hefsek - just in time!
Thanks!

curlytop

Post Thu, Jul 23 2009, 8:44 pm
I don't see the problem with it?!

MommyLuv

Post Thu, Jul 23 2009, 8:55 pm
Well I agree about it not being a fun trip, lol..But it kind of is the type of thing you do for pleasure (the outcome, anyway, if not the process. )

Tova

Post Thu, Jul 23 2009, 10:15 pm
It's hard, because it is officially bein haz'manim in my husband yeshiva, and while my husband basically keeps to learning 2 sedarim + night seder, he is less strict about coming late/ leaving early to get errands done.

We do have a whole list of things to get done over bein hazmanim, but when we were reviewing it we realized that most items should really wait 'til after Tisha B'av, whether for halachic or hashkafic reasons [ie - renting carpet cleaner to clean all carpets, some landscaping work outside, buying and installing a swing set, cleaning out the basement, staining the deck.]

Personally, I have a lot of enjoyment in taking my kids for pictures. I get them bathed for sake of looking good and dressed nicely, etc. so I would put it on the "after Tisha B'av list."

Atali

Post Thu, Jul 23 2009, 10:43 pm
I would be nervous that the pictures would come out poorly.

snooders613

Post Fri, Jul 24 2009, 10:07 am
You are not really supposed to wear Shabbos clothes or freshly laundered clothing during the nine days even for a Bris so I imagine that kids dressed up for pictures might be wearing too nice clothing. Pictures do give me enjoyment. I just dont have the time to do it too often. My son just got a beautiful tuxedo from a wedding Gmach for my sisters wedding but I couldnt really get a good picture at the wedding. I really wanted one professionally done before I had to return it which is probably right after the nine days. I didnt want to get a Heter for something I really enjoy so I made myself crazy to go get pictures on Tuesday before Shkiah. This was no easy feat as I still had tons of laundry to do and had to send two teenage boys off to camp.
I am not poskening and people should ask their Rav. However alot of things are not halachically right or wrong just a sensitivity to the seriousness of the time.

Raisin

Post Fri, Jul 24 2009, 10:23 am
the thing that puts me off taking my kids to have their portraits done is the dressing up and so on.

(why not do it friday afternoon so the hairwashing and bathing is for shabbos)

Tech_mom

Post Fri, Jul 24 2009, 10:53 am
Funny that you ask. My husband and I have a long standing joke between us that it is ok to go take pics of the kids (we go to Sears) - even on Tisha B'av - because it is such a painful experience (Think: the waiting, the kids who don't want to participate, the bribing, the kid who needs to go the bathroom after its finally your turn after waiting 2+ hours, the baby who napped, ate and needs to nap again... need I elaborate more?)

We did take pics before the 3 weeks that were ready during that period - and he would not pick them up until after - because getting those pictures really does give simcha.

MommyLuv

Post Fri, Jul 24 2009, 11:00 am
Tech Mom I hear you...It is NOT fun, especially with a bigger crowd.

the last time I went to get my kids' photos taken was when my baby was 2 months old...He is now almost 2 years old, and I am about to have another baby any day, so I wanted to capture the moment now before life gets way too hectic iy'h.

Turns out that my toddler busted his lip yesterday, so I don't feel like going for portaits anymore anyway Confused

Mama Bear

Post Fri, Jul 24 2009, 12:50 pm
I dont think it's okay. My sister does professional portraiture and she's not working this week.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions