Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Cleaning during the 9 days - do you do it?

Mimisinger

Post Fri, Jul 24 2009, 11:00 am
I was speaking with someone and she mentioned that she doesn't really clean during the 9 days. I didn't ask her to be more specific because I was still mulling what she said over, but is this common? Now, of course, I won't do laundry, but I'll do dishes and clean up the house. I'm sure she would do dishes, but do people not mop or wash up? Now personally, I could always clean more, so not doing major clean up for 9 days is no big deal, I was wondering what others do. Esp. since you can't have a non-Jew (from what I understand) do what you're not allowed to do, meaning you can't have a non-Jewish cleaning lady come to clean during the 9 days...anyway, just wondering what people do.

Oh yeah, I do weave during the 9 days either Wink

wanderer

Post Fri, Jul 24 2009, 11:59 am
I never heard about not cleaning during the nine days. I clean up just like any other week, minus the laundry. It's not exactly fun or exciting for me.

foreverhappy

Post Fri, Jul 24 2009, 12:01 pm
delete

Last edited by foreverhappy on Sun, Jul 10 2011, 11:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

freidasima

Post Fri, Jul 24 2009, 12:03 pm
dishes yes. Cleaning, no.

amother

Post Fri, Jul 24 2009, 12:03 pm
Regular cleaning yes but no major cleaning like inside of the cabinets or silver polishing

Raisin

Post Fri, Jul 24 2009, 12:04 pm
you are not meant to redecorate your house, but cleaning is fine. (what else is there to do?) In fact there is an inyan tisha bav afternoon to sweep the house in preparation for mashiach.

Tech_mom

Post Fri, Jul 24 2009, 12:07 pm
My husband doesn't let me wash the floor except l'kovod shabbos. But I do have small children so I do spot clean.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Jul 24 2009, 6:36 pm
I don't think cleaning/organizing is forbidden. we were never taught that.

ulimom

Post Fri, Jul 24 2009, 6:40 pm
things that cause you pleasure are forbidden.....if the sight a of a freshly cleaned, sparkling house gives u that tingly feeling, then it might be a problem
Tongue Out Tongue Out Tongue Out Tongue Out Tongue Out Tongue Out

octopus

Post Fri, Jul 24 2009, 6:41 pm
it's not like cleaning gives me great joy....

Mama Bear

Post Fri, Jul 24 2009, 6:46 pm
I sweep, but dont wash floors except friday.

momsprince

Post Fri, Jul 24 2009, 6:50 pm
We mop the floors only for Shabbos.

Temilia

Post Sat, Jul 25 2009, 2:01 pm
For those of you that don't mop the floors during the nine days is there a source for this?
I looked through the halchos of the nine days as I was teaching it this year, and I didn't see that mentioned anywhere.
I remember learning that specifically on tisha bav afternoon there is a minhag to mop your floors in preparation for moshiach's arrival.

shalhevet

Post Sat, Jul 25 2009, 3:35 pm
I just learned today that you are not allowed to wash the floors during the 9 days, even for Shabbos (too late, I thought you could). You can sweep, and you can spot clean if something spills. Maybe there are other opinions.

I would think TB would definitely be assur - some of those minhagim are minhag taut (a mistaken minhag).

Raisin

Post Sat, Jul 25 2009, 6:13 pm
this is definately not a widely known minhag, because I have never heard of it.

I don't know about you, but if I didn't wash my floors for 9 days it would be completely beyond filthy.

I was also learning the halochos of the 9 days with someone and nowhere was this mentioned.

But I see there are other minhagim re the 9 days I have never heard of, like not eating meat for shalosh seudos today, not having guests, wearing weekday clothes on shabbos and so on.

chanab

Post Sat, Jul 25 2009, 9:01 pm
shalhevet wrote:
I just learned today that you are not allowed to wash the floors during the 9 days, even for Shabbos (too late, I thought you could). You can sweep, and you can spot clean if something spills. Maybe there are other opinions.

I would think TB would definitely be assur - some of those minhagim are minhag taut (a mistaken minhag).
/

can you give a source regarding cleaning during the nine days, shalhevet?
also regarding tisha beav, I think before chatzos its forbidden but after chatzos its allowed. (at least thats how we did it when I was brought up)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions