Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Strollers
For those of you with bassinet strollers
1  2  Next

amother

Post Mon, Jul 27 2009, 3:50 pm
How long did you actually use the bassinet for?
Did you feel that it was worth spending the extra $$$ on buying a bassinet stroller for the amount of time you used it?
What were the advantages of having a bassinet stroller?
I'm trying to work out if it's really worth spending the money on a bassinet stroller or not.

bbmom

Post Mon, Jul 27 2009, 3:56 pm
I used the bassinet for 3 full months until DD started to roll to one side (before she rolled over completely but was smushing her face into the side - not safe). I also used it as her bed for that time. My stroller came with the bassinet (not like quinny, mutsy, baby jogger, etc where you have to buy it separately), so it wasn't the issue of spending more money for the bassinet itself but rather spending the money on the whole stroller.

Ronit

Post Mon, Jul 27 2009, 4:02 pm
Depends on the stroller & bassinet size.

My single is a bugaboo & the bassinet is rather large. My big 5month old is outgrowing it now. I enjoyed it alot for both kids.

For my 1st I used it on the street & in the house.

Now I use my double mostly for going out- it doesn't have a bassinet option (phil & teds vibe). My baby still sleeps in the bugaboo bassinet though- I use it as a crib for him.

As soon as my big one will learn not to come out of a bed, then the baby will be in the big crib.

Depends also what time of the year your baby is born. A bassinet is much warmer for the summer.

mimsy7420

Post Mon, Jul 27 2009, 4:47 pm
My single stroller came with a bassinet and my dd1 hated it. She did not like being flat on her back like that. For my double I found my babies never liked walks in their stroller (no bassinet even) until they could sit up alittle in it and look around.
But if you plan on using it instead of a crib for the first few months then it might be worth it.

bbmom

Post Mon, Jul 27 2009, 5:32 pm
My DD loved (stills likes) being on her back and screams her lungs out whenever I put her in the carseat. Smile

mummy-bh

Post Mon, Jul 27 2009, 5:38 pm
I have a very big bassinet.
I've used mine for anyhting between 5-10 months.
I even used it for my twins, up to about age 3 months, with my 2 y.o. as well sitting on the end.

Pooh

Post Mon, Jul 27 2009, 7:41 pm
uppa baby bassinet wont last you longer than 3 mos. I didnt have a stroller at all for the first 3 mos when my baby was born, and it was between the uppababy (mainly for bassinet feature) or maxi cosi. I was at the ub store already and randomly decided to "fit" baby in to see if its still worth it, and he was already too big. bugaboo bassinets are much bigger and I think are worth it--as many said, bassinet strollers make a great crib for those first months

INSPIREME

Post Mon, Jul 27 2009, 9:01 pm
I never had a bassinet option - and I didn't miss it. My stroller reclined, or I would use the snap "n" go with a carseat.

I wouldn't invest the money.

mom2bsn

Post Mon, Jul 27 2009, 11:05 pm
I have the bugaboo which came with a bassinet. I used it for sleeping in the house but I never used it out of the house because it doesnt come with a buckle and it made me nervous

Tova

Post Tue, Jul 28 2009, 1:25 am
I have the Inglesina Zippy and found the bassinet for very cheap on clearance- $59 at tinyride.com (that may no longer be in business?) and they only had 2 colors, but hashgacha was that one of them - black - was the color of my stroller. Regular price $179.

I did buy it when my son was born as I thought it would be a good option for sleeping while on the main level (crib is upstairs) but l'maasah the baby swing which he loved (Fisher Price, swings side to side as well as front to back) served that purpose much better. I used the bassinet attachment whenever I walked with him on Shabbos (he was born in May so we were always outside) and loved the nice Shabbosdik look. Stopped using it when he was maybe about 4-5 months old. So, I really don't think I got my money's worth especially if I would have spent full price. For the price I got it from (and because someone ended up buying the actual Zippy for me) and because it gave me a lot of hana'ah to use it for the time I did I was very happy.

I didn't use it at all for my daughter as then I needed a double stroller b"H and again, she loved the swing.

LuckyMum

Post Tue, Jul 28 2009, 2:41 am
I used my bassinett tons till about 7 months. My baby sleeps on his stomach only, so it was great when going out and I used it in the house for him as a second crib, for naps and things when I didnt feel like taking him to the bedroom - he actually slept better in it because its much warmer and cozier than an open crib, so we used it on fussy nights too. I really feel I got my moneys worth out of it.

drumjj

Post Tue, Jul 28 2009, 4:10 am
I have a quinny and I bought a bassinet its one of the reasons I bought that buggy bec I wanted a bassinet ive never had with my other two and I wanted one. I love it. I dont actually use it too often but I did in the beginning use it downstairs when the baby was small all the time. she is now five months and still fits in it fine although she is on the very petite side. now I dont use it tons but I am so happy that we spent the money on it. I love my buggy.

baba

Post Tue, Jul 28 2009, 4:41 am
My baby is 6 months and I'm going to change it now, because she rolls onto her stomach and goes on her knees or even feet.
Having said that, we have a bugaboo and it's big.
I've heard that there are others where they grow out of it much quicker. My baby is tall for her age and still has room in ours.
We also used it for her to sleep in the first 2 months.

maidale

Post Tue, Jul 28 2009, 7:05 am
It depends where you live and what time of the year the baby is born. I find that in Europe the bassinet is a lot more "in" people use it a lot more.
If it's winter, I feel the baby is a lot more protected in the bassinet, and if you walk a lot, it's also useful. if you travel mainly by car, than it might be a waste of $$$$.
I have the teutonia pram with the bassinet option, and I used it for nearly 6 months, untill the baby wanted to have a better view.

amother

Post Tue, Jul 28 2009, 11:58 am
OP
Thank you. I don't intend to use the stroller as a crib and I'm in the car more than I walk, so I guess I'd be better off going with a travel system like a graco - which is what I was originally thinking, but I see so many people with bassinet strollers, I felt like I was missing some important info somewhere.

amother

Post Tue, Jul 28 2009, 12:36 pm
I got a Maclaren coach carriage with bassinet as a gift for my first eight years ago. I used for all my newborns it instead of a porta crib til they were 3-4 months. I loved it, because you could rock a fussy baby to sleep! I don't think they make my model anymore, but its definitely a bigger bassinet than the bugaboos and the like. l

bbmom

Post Tue, Jul 28 2009, 1:22 pm
amother wrote:
OP
Thank you. I don't intend to use the stroller as a crib and I'm in the car more than I walk, so I guess I'd be better off going with a travel system like a graco - which is what I was originally thinking, but I see so many people with bassinet strollers, I felt like I was missing some important info somewhere.

I would go with a snap n go faster than a travel system. Travel systems are big and bulky.

amother

Post Tue, Jul 28 2009, 1:30 pm
different amother here:

Now I'm confused! I'm due I"YH in February and always wanted a bassinet carriage but never had the room in my apt when I had my first two. Now however, I do have the room for it so should I buy a bassinet carriage or not? It'll still be winter and I definitely don't want DH to say that we spent so much $$$ on a carriage and it was barely used.

maidale

Post Tue, Jul 28 2009, 2:32 pm
amother wrote:
different amother here:

Now I'm confused! I'm due I"YH in February and always wanted a bassinet carriage but never had the room in my apt when I had my first two. Now however, I do have the room for it so should I buy a bassinet carriage or not? It'll still be winter and I definitely don't want DH to say that we spent so much $$$ on a carriage and it was barely used.

The question is, what is your main mode of transportation? Do you go out every day? walk a lot? if you do a lot of walking, than it's certainly worth the investment. But if you take the car most of the time, I think you're better off starting off with a snap & go and getting a stroller later on.

amother

Post Tue, Jul 28 2009, 2:43 pm
I'm the second amother that maidele responded to:

I walk mostly, for the car I have a stroller that I don't want to use for a newborn daily but it's a perfect stroller to travel with. My question is if I should even bother buying a bassinet if it's wintertime anyway. By the time the spring/summer weather will arrive the baby will probably be too big for the bassinet anyway. Is it warmer for the baby in a bassinet as opposed to a stroller? I honestly don't remember since my last baby is going to be 4 now I"YH.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics