Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Which one's harder fasting when pregnant or breastfeeding?
1  2  Next

rainbow baby

Post Wed, Jul 29 2009, 7:56 am
Also how do you prepare yourself for fasting when you are breastfeeding?

fiddle

Post Wed, Jul 29 2009, 8:02 am
I found it harder nursing, at a certain point I had nothing left and I was so drained I started vomiting. best thing I found was to stay in bed, in the dark with AC on..let kids roam around and prepare things for them beforehand. so you can stay in bed

sympa

Post Wed, Jul 29 2009, 8:04 am
I've only fasted while nursing, haven't been pregnant for either big fast, but it was very hard, and I got sick (actually, I was minorly sick to begin with) and had to stop nursing, and eventually break the fast in the middle.
Preparation: pump 6-10 extra bottles in case you can't nurse that day and/or the next day, measure out and mark a k'zayis and a revi'is in cups ahead of time in case you'll need to eat shiurim, drink as much water as possible the day before, eat lots of carbs the day before, cook the break-fast meal ahead of time so you won't have to stand there cooking, find a/c, hire a babysitter...

amother

Post Wed, Jul 29 2009, 9:04 am
Breastfeeding.

Boys"R"Us

Post Wed, Jul 29 2009, 9:22 am
I found it harder while breastfeeding.

MiamiMommy

Post Wed, Jul 29 2009, 9:32 am
Definitely breastfeeding! I always try to pump before the fast so I can use those bottles towards the end of the day if my supply seems low.

Raisin

Post Wed, Jul 29 2009, 10:01 am
everyone says breastfeeding is harder, but at least you have the option to give bottles if necessary.

(I never had a problem with either...I fast very well, though I hate being hungry)

gryp

Post Wed, Jul 29 2009, 10:04 am
Pregnancy, all the way.

shnitzel

Post Wed, Jul 29 2009, 10:05 am
What to do you do if your baby won't take a bottle?
And I don't think tisha b'av we'll have the patience to try and deal with her crying, although I do have a couple of bottles in the fridge.

I was confident about fasting and now am I nervous. Is it possible that my supply won't get low? I have oversupply but I am always starving (eating barely makes a dent).

Raisin

Post Wed, Jul 29 2009, 10:09 am
shnitzel wrote:
What to do you do if your baby won't take a bottle?
And I don't think tisha b'av we'll have the patience to try and deal with her crying, although I do have a couple of bottles in the fridge.

I was confident about fasting and now am I nervous. Is it possible that my supply won't get low? I have oversupply but I am always starving (eating barely makes a dent).

really, don't worry! if you have an oversupply your baby will probably be fine. I never had to give any of my babies bottles on a fast day.

bnm

Post Wed, Jul 29 2009, 11:33 am
I tried pumping...got a few drops-enough to wet an envelope flap.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Jul 29 2009, 11:34 am
I never fasted just pregnant. Only nursing or nursing and pregnant. So can't speak much from experience.
I did not have give a bottle to my babies when fasting and they were exclusively breastfeeding. I sometimes pumped just in case, but I didn't have to rely on it.

frumamn

Post Wed, Jul 29 2009, 11:41 am
I found ppregnant to be harder. Fasting while breastfeeding always caught up with me the next day when I had a very low milk supply from not drinking the day before.

sky

Post Wed, Jul 29 2009, 11:45 am
I find nursing much harder. I always have plenty of milk, but when I fast I run out toward the end of the day. I also feel very week when nursing.

small bean

Post Wed, Jul 29 2009, 11:49 am
I find that nursing is draining but never had a problem with milk supply. last year yom kippur I was nursing and vomited towards the end from dehydration probably, but I felt pretty much fine. when im pregnant I vomit straight through the whole 9 months, so fasting really doesnt make it easier. but my rabbi says that if your fasting and vomiting you should break it. I guess I'll see on the fast how I'm doing.

pinkbubbles

Post Wed, Jul 29 2009, 11:55 am
I found it much harder while pregnant.

I made sure to take my vitamins before the fast started (I usually take them in the morning)

I drank a lot the day before but it didn't seem to help.

Nicole

Post Wed, Jul 29 2009, 2:52 pm
I highly reccomend pumping a few bottles before the fast. One Yom kippur I almost passed out toward the end- I was so drained. and I'm not normally a weak, fainting type of person.

NotSoNewKallah

Post Wed, Jul 29 2009, 2:59 pm
Last year fasting on Tisha Bav and YK while pregnant was not so hard because I was so used to not eating or drinking anything all day! (I had terrible nauseau and could not eat or drink water for the first 4 months). Now that Im nursing im dreading the fast cuz im always hungry and thirsty.

I pumped a few bottles already so we'll see how it goes...

amother

Post Wed, Jul 29 2009, 5:08 pm
I found nursing harder, but this TB"Av I am pregnant AND nursing, so we'll see how this goes!

amother

Post Wed, Jul 29 2009, 5:46 pm
amother wrote:
I found nursing harder, but this TB"Av I am pregnant AND nursing, so we'll see how this goes!

I'd also say nursing, but my hardest Tb"A was 2 months pregnant AND nursing a 7 month old who barely ate any solids. Tb"A itself wasn't even that bad -- it was the day after -- pounding headache, dizzy, exhausted. And that was the day I had to take the Bar Exam! I don't know how I passed....

This time I'm newly pregnant again, and still nursing my two big guys (2.5 and 18 months). I was debating whether to go to work, and then I decided I should, b/c at work I don't have to nurse OR run after toddlers -- hands-down more likely to make it through the fast that way....

(Anon b/c I don't want to "out" my username to anyone who knows me in real life.)
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics