Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Tips to clean burned crockpot

Fabulous

Post Sun, Aug 09 2009, 8:52 pm
The chulent this week burned really bad and the crockpot is pretty bad. I think it's a stoneware or ceramic insert into a metal holster. I tried everything that usually works, hot water soaking, steel wool with a lot of muscle. I have gotten a lot of it off but there are some parts on the side that are just plain black burned on. I cannot get these pieces off. I tried scraping with a spoon, also helped somewhat but it's still there.

Any ideas? I really don't want to throw away a crockpot because it burned but I am just out of ideas.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Aug 09 2009, 8:58 pm
Place water in the crockpot along with dishwashing soap and lots of baking soda.
Cook it up and keep the crockpot going for 24 hours. That should soften it enough for you to clean it properly with steel wool and Soft Scrub.

Lefty

Post Sun, Aug 09 2009, 8:58 pm
Fabulous wrote:
The chulent this week burned really bad and the crockpot is pretty bad. I think it's a stoneware or ceramic insert into a metal holster. I tried everything that usually works, hot water soaking, steel wool with a lot of muscle. I have gotten a lot of it off but there are some parts on the side that are just plain black burned on. I cannot get these pieces off. I tried scraping with a spoon, also helped somewhat but it's still there.

Any ideas? I really don't want to throw away a crockpot because it burned but I am just out of ideas.

I dont really know how to get rid of the damage u already made. But there is a solution to prevent new ones from happening, there's this crockpot bag it's specifically designed for crockpots and for this purpose not to get the pot burnt.

flowerpower

Post Sun, Aug 09 2009, 10:52 pm
I know which one you mean. Try soaking in soap and hot water for a good few hours.

im here!

Post Sun, Aug 09 2009, 11:00 pm
You can also try cooking up water with a little vinegar. It works wonders

ShakleeMom

Post Sun, Aug 09 2009, 11:04 pm
cook up water till the top with lemon juice and baking soda.

mommy's daughter

Post Mon, Aug 10 2009, 10:02 pm
try soft scrub let it stand for a few hours

scb88

Post Tue, Aug 18 2009, 4:33 pm
Oy, I feel bad for you. Can you get crockpot liner bags for next time? Good luck!

youngbubby

Post Tue, Aug 18 2009, 8:07 pm
I third the motion of crock pot liners the only problem is my husband says it is not healthy to cook a chulent in those bags for so long..I dont know....

Fabulous

Post Tue, Aug 18 2009, 8:18 pm
Update: I'm gonna chuck it. I couldn't clean it properly and it was very cheap and I just can't (33 weeks pregnant, grumpy and no patience). For 30 or 40 dollars, I'm just gonna buy another one. The problem for the future is the same reason why it burned, when I don't have time to put the chulent up early, I need to put it on high and that's why it burned and you can't use liners on high, only low.

queen

Post Tue, Aug 18 2009, 8:25 pm
maybe that is why my oven bags never worked (in the days I tried bags- I would put cholent on high for first few hours). Now I keep cholent on low setting entire time.

Sorry about OP's pot. Many a times I've been tempted to throw out pot and just buy a new one.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Aug 18 2009, 10:55 pm
Fabulous wrote:
Update: I'm gonna chuck it. I couldn't clean it properly and it was very cheap and I just can't (33 weeks pregnant, grumpy and no patience). For 30 or 40 dollars, I'm just gonna buy another one. The problem for the future is the same reason why it burned, when I don't have time to put the chulent up early, I need to put it on high and that's why it burned and you can't use liners on high, only low.

I believe you can use the Reynolds liners on a higher setting. My mother uses them (put water in the crock before placing the liner in there), as the regular ones don't work with her crockpot setting.

toastedbagel

Post Wed, Aug 19 2009, 12:33 am
I don't like the liners - I've seen parts of them melt into the cholent, which besides for being pretty toxic, defeats the entire purpose of the bag, as the cholent leaks out. What I do is spray the pot with spray oil (PAM type) before putting the ingredients in, and it seems to work reasonably well.

As for putting it on high, if you are worried that it won't be cooked for Shabbos lunch, don't worry, I put my cholent on last thing before Shabbos on low, so you really don't need to put it on high. (I use soaked/boiled beans, browned meat which is still raw inside, semi-sauted onions, raw potatos, water.) If you are concerned about it being sufficiently cooked before Shabbos, you can AYLOR, but if it is so raw that it won't possibly be edible for that night's meal even if you turn up the temp (ie raw potatos on low just before Shabbos), then it is fine. It's the in-between that is a problem - partially cooked where turning it up can make it ready for that night but leaving it at the low temp would leave it unready, then the Halacha is not to leave it like that because of the temptation to turn it up.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry